I bought my 2nd first guitar last night. First one was when I was 14ish, and I did not stick with it. I wanted to try it out again, but did not want to spend all sorts of money on something where the is a high likelihood of me dropping again.

So I bought a kit... http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_squier_se100_electric_pack?full_sku=101915742

So I get the thing in tune, and start messing around with it. Going through the little tutorials in the book, I hit a snag. When I try to play a C on the second string, the string also touches the next bar down the neck. Makes that nasty vibrate damped sound. Is there anyway to fix that, or do I just take it back and get a new one?

Yeah yeah yeah, get what you pay for. I'm not willing to drop $500 on a hobby I might not keep up though.
You can better forgot about these kit's (so bring it back ) and look for a second hand guitar/amp on ebay etc.
There are many better options for 200 dollar...
Sounds like you need to raise the action on your guitar. If the string's higher up, it's less likely to strike the other frets.
You gotta adjust the truss rod... REally simple, but if youre no used to it, then maybe you should let someone who is do this thing
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
Ibanez VBT700
Ibanez SZ320
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Crafter D8/N
Peavey Transtube Bandit 112
Peavey Grind Bass 5 BXP NTB
Dunlop Dimebag Crybaby
Quote by JvL
You can better forgot about these kit's (so bring it back ) and look for a second hand guitar/amp on ebay etc.
There are many better options for 200 dollar...

THere's nothing at all wrong with these kits for starting out. You've got a good starter set.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Thanks for the info. I plan on taking it back this weekend to see if they will fix it up for me.
Raise the action on that one string.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.