I have just got a very interesting proposal. My friend has a peavey 6505 amp head that he runs through his 1960a cabinet and he offered to trade me his brand new 6505 amp head for my very used JCM 2000 head. I also have a 1960a cabinet and i have played both amps and like them both. i can't decide so i figured i'd ask you guys what you thought of it. thanks
Yea. If it's brand new, and even if you don't like it, you can always re-sell it, and buy a new JCM.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
Think about it this way. If he is willing to trade a basically new head for an older head, he must hate the peavey, and you probably would too. The JCM 2000 is a good amp. Has a great sound to it. Having owned a JCM 2000, I would say keep it unless you are doing some MAJOR upgrading. The JCM 2000 is a good amp. Has a great sound to it. REALLY think about it!
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~
Quote by myMesa8mybrain
Think about it this way. If he is willing to trade a basically new head for an older head, he must hate the peavey, and you probably would too. The JCM 2000 is a good amp. Has a great sound to it. Having owned a JCM 2000, I would say keep it unless you are doing some MAJOR upgrading. The JCM 2000 is a good amp. Has a great sound to it. REALLY think about it!

That is slightly flawed logic. His friend doesn't like it, but i'm sure he wouldn't even consider it if he didn't like it . And the JCM2000 models and the 6505 are a whole world apart in terms of sound, they sound completely different.
Quote by Qazxs
I was so glad when my cat got spayed. Everytime I was near her she meowed and bent over wanting me to stick it in her. Really gross.
Compare it head to head with your JCM, see which one you like best.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by pity tha' foo'
That is slightly flawed logic. His friend doesn't like it, but i'm sure he wouldn't even consider it if he didn't like it . And the JCM2000 models and the 6505 are a whole world apart in terms of sound, they sound completely different.

There is no flaw. I was saying his friend must HATE that amp if he is willing to trade a brand new one for an older JCM.

From my understanding a 6505 is just a modern 5150, correct? I had a 5150 back in the early 90's. It was an okay amp. But nothing to write home about tone wise. If he wants to trade it, I say go for it. Although I would really think long and hard about the change. He may regret the decision, like I regret getting rid of my JCM 2000 a few years ago.
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~
Last edited by myMesa8mybrain at Feb 23, 2007,
Quote by myMesa8mybrain

I think it means he prefers a JCM to a 6505, not "hates" the 6505. Suggesting the owner "hates" it is purely a presumption. Preference is personal too so that doesn't mean the TS will "hate" the 6505 too, he may just prefer that to a JCM.

Personally I would take the 6505, I have a TSL and although it's not bad amp by any means, it lacks that vintage Marshall tone and isn't the sweetest sounding modern metal amp either. It's a little muddy and undefined. The DSL I have heard is a better amp than the TSL so if the JCM2000 we're talking about is a DSL then I can't comment. At the end of the day take the one you prefer the most, simple as that.
Quote by myMesa8mybrain
There is no flaw. I was saying his friend must HATE that amp if he is willing to trade a brand new one for an older JCM.

From my understanding a 6505 is just a modern 5150, correct? I had a 5150 back in the early 90's. It was an okay amp. But nothing to write home about tone wise. If he wants to trade it, I say go for it. Although I would really think long and hard about the change. He may regret the decision, like I regret getting rid of my JCM 2000 a few years ago.

the 6505 is one of the best metal amps out there. if he switched the genres of music he was into, it's perfectly logical.

the 6505/5150 really is an amazing metal amp.

you're flawed, hate to say it.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
the 6505 is one of the best metal amps out there. if he switched the genres of music he was into, it's perfectly logical.

the 6505/5150 really is an amazing metal amp.

you're flawed, hate to say it.

Flawed, nah. Just opinionated from owning a 5150 and JCM 2000.
Quote by treagar
I think it means he prefers a JCM to a 6505, not "hates" the 6505. Suggesting the owner "hates" it is purely a presumption. Preference is personal too so that doesn't mean the TS will "hate" the 6505 too, he may just prefer that to a JCM.

Personally I would take the 6505, I have a TSL and although it's not bad amp by any means, it lacks that vintage Marshall tone and isn't the sweetest sounding modern metal amp either. It's a little muddy and undefined. The DSL I have heard is a better amp than the TSL so if the JCM2000 we're talking about is a DSL then I can't comment. At the end of the day take the one you prefer the most, simple as that.

I had the DSL, and it does have a nice tone. Not exactly the vintage marshall tone, but a balance of vintage and modern. I just don't want to see someone make a mistake that could haunt them down the road. He should really spend time playing both amps and then making the decision.
i'd do it.

well in your case

before hand make sure he's a good friend
first off make like a 30 day trade back contract incase the 6505 he's giving you is a p.o.s.
if you like it better do it.

and yeah the 6505 is only really good for metal, so if the guy doesn't like metal anymore he might trade it, or mabye he got it off the black market for dirt cheap and wants to gain profit off it..
i've played both amps but i'm still not sure. the marshall has a different tone to it that i can't put my finger on and seems to have more low end. however the 6505 is so dirty its glorious. And just so you know i play metal and hardcore mostly. The cab i have is a 1960a and i was considering dropping two V30's into an X pattern to give it a little more low end, possibly making the 6505 a little more crunchy sounding?