i really don't know where else to put this, but anywayz...

so i want to start playing harmonica, so i don't know anything about them, i was wondering if anybody around here knew anything about them and if they could tell me what brand or what kind i should get to start off with, what kind of harmonicas got those tones like in "you shook me" from zeppelin or "bad obsession" from Guns n' Roses? or do they all sound the same?

so if anyone could help that would be cool thanks
Last edited by cris9288 at Feb 23, 2007,
oh great now i know what to do, thanks for answering my question ur such a great help, i dont know what i would've done if it wasn't for you
I don't play the harmonica so i can't help you but there's just been another thread and its got some harmonica info in it that you may find useful, but i dunno.
lol, i dont know much about brands and shit, but im sure the price range is alot greater than the quality, pick up like a $30 one and **** around, i hope all goes well.
The only thing I know about Harmonica is that the guy from Blues Traveler plays it.
Green Tinted Sixties Mind
Marine bands are always nice and yeah, go for the diatonic one.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
theres a hohner pack of 7 diatonic keys in MF for like $20, i have it and its pretty good
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
I don't know much about harmonicas, but it's still fun to play. People were getting pissed when I spammed my harmonica playing through Counter-Strike.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
key of c is good. and teach yourself basic scales and simple tunes by blowing in and oyut. don't go for chords and bob dylan/ blues traveler guy immediatly cause you'll get frustrated. good luck
Come you masters of war,
You who build the big guns
You who build all the planes
You who build all the bombs
Quote by $Guitarist$
The only thing I know about Harmonica is that the guy from Blues Traveler plays it.

+1

The only I can really say about them is they're hard and I quit
they come in different keys, thats pretty much all i know...

look for an online harmonica forum??
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
My advice is get a dirt cheap C major harmonica (diatonic) and Learn to make a clean scale, and bending notes. On cheap harmonicas, its usally quite hard to get the notes. Then get a harmonica in D, E, F, B etc so you can jam and play blues. Its not very hard to play, honest.
Squier Classic Vibe Custom
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
depends how serious your going to get.

If you see it as a long term thing go for a chromatic one however if you just want to play around like along with your guitar and stuff just go for a diatonic in C or G.

for diatonic youll have to buy a new one for each scale you want but i just use C. Thats what dylan and most of them used.

Diatonic harps arnt to expensive either.

Also if you just starting out dont go for one with wooden holes, the wood can swell and its harder to get a nice clean sound out of.

I use a Hohner Marine Brand silver metallic harp in C scale (diatonic)

goodluck
Hohner is the best brand out there. Get one in the key of C. Can even play a blues song in the key of G with that one
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his
Yeah, the next step when you can bend notes good, like 1-4, is playing cross harp. Thats what most blues songs do.
Squier Classic Vibe Custom
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
Quote by $Guitarist$

And plays very well I don't know how he does it