This can become the official "How do they do that?" thread if you all would like, but first, I have my own question.

"How do they..."

I keep hearing in different songs a long note on electric guitar and it slowly transitions into it's harmonic counterpart without losing any of it's amplitude and whathaveyou.

HOW DO THEY DO THAT?

I understand harmonics and can play pinch harmonics to some degree, so I am not asking how to go about playing a pinch or natural harmonic necessarily.

Good examples are in Tool's song "10,000 Days (Wings Pt. 2)", the solo does this over and over. Also at the end of the riff in the beginning of "Dead Skin Mask" by Slayer.

Anyone?
My latest tab: Tool - Intension

A great beginner song! Please comment!

Don't forget! You were a beginner once.
Are you talking about the feedback on the dead skin mask trade off intro? Im pretty sure its just feedback.
High gain and volume on a tube amp = long sustain that turns into feedback.
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Ibz RG270 - Dimarzio PAF Pro/Mo' Joe
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
What is a tube amp? And is this type of amp required to make this effect happen?

Also, any idea why Slayer doesn't produce this sound live? I was watching them on YouTube and none of the live videos had this effect happen.

BTW, thanks for the quick responses!

WEll the closest thing besides feedback is when u lightly tap the stiring just about the 22nd fret but thats not really a slow transition
Quote by silhouettica
in my opinion, the only reason that dean and BC Rich guitars are so popular is because the people who play only want them for the pointy parts to stab people (such as their singer, or that guy from fall out boy)
Quote by mattldm2003
High gain and volume on a tube amp = long sustain that turns into feedback.

+1

Before I had a tube amp, it was a lot harder to get defined feedback
You make it happen - Hold a note and give the string a very slight vibrato and eventually the note will turn into controlled feedback. It sounds good when done right
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Ibz RG270 - Dimarzio PAF Pro/Mo' Joe
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
Quote by Supern00b
or use an ebow.

I want one of those so bad! I hate being broke!

Quote by strat1234567890
I want one of those so bad! I hate being broke!

its fun, but its hard to use creatively.
Quote by strat1234567890
What is a tube amp? And is this type of amp required to make this effect happen?

An expensive amp the uses a different type of technology than solid state and modelling: vaccum tubes. And yup, they are much better than the other types.

Also, any idea why Slayer doesn't produce this sound live? I was watching them on YouTube and none of the live videos had this effect happen.

Because they don't want it?... Adam Jones from Tool likes to use a lot of feedback in his songs. Just listen to Stinkfist, for example, but maybe you know what I'm talking about...
Quote by strat1234567890

BTW, thanks for the quick responses!

I just saw them live a few days ago and I am prett sure they did
Quote by gsr2k6
I just saw them live a few days ago and I am prett sure they did

Maybe they do. I don't know.

hey i have a "how do they do that?" question. How do you do a pick slide that actually sounds good?
Quote by emanuel77
hey i have a "how do they do that?" question. How do you do a pick slide that actually sounds good?

Beats me. Mine never sound anything like they do in the songs.

^^ Beats me too. Never ever heard one used in any goddamn song, so I might not be an authority here.
ive always thought "how the F*ck" everytime i hear metallica's master of puppets album or ...and justice for all. how can james hetfield possible play that fast with such ease and sing at the same time? its takes 110% of my concentration just the play the guitar.
Quote by Ryank285
ive always thought "how the F*ck" everytime i hear metallica's master of puppets album or ...and justice for all. how can james hetfield possible play that fast with such ease and sing at the same time? its takes 110% of my concentration just the play the guitar.

OMG!! HE MUST BE USING THE,........................................................................................................................................................PICK OF DESTINY!!!
dum dum dummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Member of the "Defenders of Emo,PM eckman88 to join "

Founder Of The Artcore/Hollow Body Users Club PM me to join

Quote by Chuck Norris
Leading hand sanitizers claim they can kill 99.9 percent of germs. I kill 100 percent of whatever the fuck he wants.
I need someone to help me how to get a really chunky sound when I pick. John Frusciante is the best example I can think of right now. The chunky sound really stands out in the solos from Strip My Mind and Wet Sand on Stadium Arcadium. Please someone help me.
My Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom - Alpine White
Vox AD30VT
Epiphone SG Special - Black
Planet Waves Cables
Levy's Strap
Dunlop .70 Picks
Quote by Ryank285

Oh,,,silly children,,,,James doesnt sing and play all that fast,,,,,listen to some Ensiferum or Wintersun,,,,,Jari blows James out of the water in that regard,,,,,and most other regards too,,,,but you'll learn that in time,,,,,
Quote by Ryank285

Maybe cause Kirk Hammett plays guitar and James Hetfield Sings?

Or do you mean when he's singing and playing at the same time? those parts are quite easy.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by rokket2005
Oh,,,silly children,,,,James doesnt sing and play all that fast,,,,,listen to some Ensiferum or Wintersun,,,,,Jari blows James out of the water in that regard,,,,,and most other regards too,,,,but you'll learn that in time,,,,,

ur nuts for saying james doesnt play very fast just because someone else does it faster. thats like saying SRV wasnt that great of a blues player because jimi hendrix and eric clapton was/is better at it.
Last edited by Ryank285 at Feb 24, 2007,
Quote by Ryank285
ur nuts for saying james doesnt play very fast just because someone else does it faster. thats like saying SRV wasnt that great of a blues player because jimi hendrix and eric clapton was/is better at it.

the things he played while singing may have been fast,,,,but they were never technically difficult,,,their are a few exceptions,,,but i can't let myself believe that,,,,i havent liked Metallica in a good 3 years now,,,,,playing nothing but metallica for 3 years with a Met fanboy will do that,,,,,so don't take my opinion all that seriously,,,,,
Quote by Øttər
Maybe cause Kirk Hammett plays guitar and James Hetfield Sings?

Or do you mean when he's singing and playing at the same time? those parts are quite easy.

james hetfield plays just as much as kirk hammett does... james does the rhythm while kirk does the lead... not understanding ur point.