Page 1 of 2
every pickup sounds different, one brand can make very different sounding pickups.
some are more suited for distortion, some sound fatter or brighter. just search on the sites of the brands and most of them have soundclips on em(emg site sucks donkey balls though). they don't help that much but you can compare the different pickups of one brand
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Last edited by FretboardToAsh at Feb 23, 2007,
They are the closest thing to emulate an "active pick-up". Higher output, high gain response, brighter tone.

Better? It's all opinion, and what your using them for.
Quote by Guitarjunkie18
They are the closest thing to emulate an "active pick-up". Higher output, high gain response, brighter tone.

Better? It's all opinion, and what your using them for.

The most popular EMGs ARE active pickups.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
The most popular EMGs ARE active pickups.

Why would you ask about active pick ups, when he most likely has a passive setup?

EDIT: I could be wrong here. Maybe he's just saying in general. If he was GOING to buy a set, it sounds like he has a passive setup to work with.
Last edited by Guitarjunkie18 at Feb 23, 2007,
Quote by Guitarjunkie18
Why would you ask about active pick ups, when he most likely has a passive setup?

EDIT: I could be wrong here. Maybe he's just saying in general. If he was GOING to buy a set, it sounds like he has a passive setup to work with.

You can replace passives with actives.

The battery *usually* fits into the control cavity.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
You can replace passives with actives.

The battery *usually* fits into the control cavity.

I stand corrected. This was the first time I can really recall, learning something for someone else on Pick Up topics. *kicks self in nuts*
^^+1

I have (2) batteries in the control cavity of my guitars with EMGs for the 18V mod. Snug, but they fit fine.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
No, EMGs wount change your tone, except they'll make you sound like a bass!
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
^ Wtf
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Quote by Erock503
^^+1

I have (2) batteries in the control cavity of my guitars with EMGs for the 18V mod. Snug, but they fit fine.

THats what I run. Gets rid of bird chirps. Whole new pup IMO thats better than 9v
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
Quote by Muppet

1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95
EMGs kick so much ass. GET THEM NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:
Quote by malachifivebass
you cant make a male musician choose music or sex, its like asking a fat man twinkie or brownie

Quote by iamnotrabid
Quote by metdethslaythrx
Naomi
it's "I moan" backwards
No, it's I maon.

Phail

I WILL one day rule the world, Pm me with the position you want and Ill see if it is open.
Quote by avenged_7_fold
EMGs kick so much ass. GET THEM NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Settle down cowboy.
Quote by Muppet

Go Away.
EMGs have no mids, so you can play metal with them, which means your tone will change.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by Guitarjunkie18

yeh im using a pssive setup
Yeah, one thing to note though; with standard 500k pots for passive pickups, the controls on your guitar will act more like on/off switches, rather than a variable control. You can replace them with 25k pots though, and be fine.
good thing about EMG's though, they come with the 25k pots, wiring, input jack, and battery clip. They also include the long shaft pots for guitars like LP's, or the short shaft for guitars like Ibanez Rg's, so you wind up with extra.

Quote by joining_heads
THats what I run. Gets rid of bird chirps. Whole new pup IMO thats better than 9v

yeah, I've done it to all my guitars besides my 7 string at this point. It really helps the cleans imo too.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by woodenbandman
EMGs have no mids, so you can play metal with them, which means your tone will change.

Erm...no mids? K....

My 81 shot my mids through the roof...
yeah emgs are sweet, but a lot of people have them, and a lot of poeople have the same tone, but over all they kick ass
Quote by stellar_legs
You know, Jonathan Brandis from The Never Ending Story Part 2 died a few years back.

Guess his story ended.....

BOOM!
ive heard that EMG's sounds exactly the same on ALL guitars and its pretty d@mn stupid to put them inside an expensive guitar like say a PRS or a gibson LP. if u want the EMG sound, just install them in a piece of crap guitar like an ibanez...
Quote by Ryank285
ive heard that EMG's sounds exactly the same on ALL guitars and its pretty d@mn stupid to put them inside an expensive guitar like say a PRS or a gibson LP. if u want the EMG sound, just install them in a piece of crap guitar like an ibanez...

Well, you heard incorrectly.

Play a Godin Freeway EMG next to a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser, and you'll hear a big difference.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by Ryank285

Ive heard youre a tool.

...Hey its just what I heard...
Ryank285, that was a very pointless post, I must say.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Muppet

wtf. umm... that might be one model of emg's. hetfield's tone doesnt sound like a bass to me...
Quote by kurdtkobaign
Ive heard youre a tool.

...Hey its just what I heard...

actually, I think it's confirmed at this point, not just heresay.
amp clips
amp vids
yeah, im a tool because i spend more time PLAYING my guitar than learning the technical BS of it. u were as clueless as me at one point, so stfu.
I may have been clueless, but I also didn't post about stuff I didn't had no clue about. See the difference?
amp clips
amp vids
its a message board, thats what its for, to ask questions about things and hope someone can give their take on it. if u dont like it, then dont read it. simple as that.
yes, it's a message board, so expect to be called out when you post incorrect information. Don't get all butthurt, learn from it. The quickest way to be labeled a dumbass is to post about stuff you have no clue about. A good rule of thumb is to post about things you have experience with, or at least know about. You weren't asking a question, that's completely different.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Feb 24, 2007,
Quote by Ryank285
its a message board, thats what its for, to ask questions about things and hope someone can give their take on it. if u dont like it, then dont read it. simple as that.

beautiful contradiction of an intolerant and ignorant prick

and yes, emg's would change your tone, the active emg's are way better than the passive ones
Quote by Ryank285

well it's not just that no one likes it, someone who has less of clue about emgs could read your false info and get the wrong idea. then possibly tell people who will tell people about it. then the world will turn to idiots.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
wheres the contradiction? im saying dont go around calling someone a tool just because they dont really know as much as u. whats amazing is yall went off on me when i said i "heard" that EMG's sound the same on all guitars, not i "know".
Last edited by Ryank285 at Feb 24, 2007,
Quote by UnsignedRecords
well it's not just that no one likes it, someone who has less of clue about emgs could read your false info and get the wrong idea. then possibly tell people who will tell people about it. then the world will turn to idiots.

its their own fault for not reading what i said correctly. i said i "heard". that means take it with a grain of salt and its open for discussion.
Quote by Ryank285

You heard wrong. And although i detest Ibanez, they are certainly not a 'peice of crap
guitar' company. I just can't get on with them.

Try and answer this kind of question with fact, not opinion.
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Quote by Ryank285
its their own fault for not reading what i said correctly. i said i "heard". that means take it with a grain of salt and its open for discussion.

true, but you seemed pretty damn convinced with the other words that were said, which could be convincing to lots of other people.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
they are v. modern and computerized i feel

still good, but for true tone, you need old pups or custom wound
Never heard EMGs on a guitar.

But I don't like their sound on a bass.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
i didnt pass on EMG's solely on the fact i heard that they sound the same on all guitars. ive also heard that they sound too sterile and fake, its very easy to spot who owns EMG's. i wanted a more natural tone that also can get pretty heavy so i went with a dimarzio super distortion for the bridge and PAF pro for the neck (i know the PAF pros are not that heavy, i got it for the cleans).
I didnt want to take a gamble with EMG's on my les paul considering they are actives which requires different kind of setup inside the guitar.
Page 1 of 2