Im trying to learn purple haze and it says

B |--8--8-
G|---7--7--
D|---6--6--
A|---7--7-
E|---------

for an E7 chord would it still come out like the song if i used an opened E7 and is it cheating?

and for G5 it says

---x
---x

Can I play that just like a power chord instead?

Basicaly I wanna know if i play the same chords but like them in different shapes will the song come out the same?

-
the overall harmony will be the same, but u won't get the same sound as in the song, hell you could strum the chords on the acoustic guitar and sing purple haze, the chords will sound right (the harmony), but it wont sound like THE song, obviously, lol
yeah, that first chord (E aug. something-a'ruther) is difficult to get at first.

Keep working at it. It's easier to use that pattern, because later in the song he just moves his hands down like 3 frets or so. (same chord layout, different notes)
Do it the hendrix way. You can do it your way but try hendrix's also.

If you're having trouble,

B |--8--8-
G|---7--7--
D|---6--6--
A|---7--7-
E|---------

That is a pretty straight forward shape..

---x
---x

Use your thumb on low E string 3 and then the rest is easy.
Im trying to learn purple haze and it says

B |--8--8-
G|---7--7--
D|---6--6--
A|---7--7-
E|---------

for an E7 chord would it still come out like the song if i used an opened E7 and is it cheating?

and for G5 it says

---x
---x

Can I play that just like a power chord instead?

Basicaly I wanna know if i play the same chords but like them in different shapes will the song come out the same?

That first chord is the famous E7#9...often known as the "Hendrix chord", you simply can't get away with not playing it. Besides, I don't quite see what the problem is - it's not like it's particularly difficult. An open E7 won't sound right - the G5 is a pretty tricky fingering, especially if you aren't blessed with hands the size of tarantulas. You could finger it with your thumb as suggested, but as it's just a 5th chord you could get away with fingering it differently, however a bog-standard root 5th power chord wouldn't really cut it and would sound pretty weak.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com