Page 3 of 4
Originally posted by guitar4life555
thanks this has helped me with alot of stuff

np, glad i could help

Originally posted by blinkjared2
modes are hard....

well, at the beginning, yes, but if you start to look for patterns and relating things to other positions on the guitar, you'll start to get a grip on this stuff.
some good lessons in there but u should talk a bit more about scales before introducing the modes
"it's not bleeding but it hurts here..."
i liked the way you made your lessons easy to read. nice job.
Slipknot
The site

All you people are the ones who can turn music the right way round even you.
hey, you guys, I'm new to the guitar and this website and I have a problem, I'm the least typical guy in terms of problems, I'm ok with my left hand but the right sucks, in other word I can't strum for sh*t, I was wondering if you have tips on how I can improve my strumming and rythm if possib;e, thanks.
I am no expert but you can take every chord , place your fingers right and hard on each fret hold down and just strum..
its also good to be able to change from on chord to another fast.. how?

well strumm a chord so evrey note is clearly hearable and that they alla ring smooth.

after you can handle this chord alone do the same with the another and then try to strum once on one chord and slowly move to another to also strum once and slow

do this again and again
thanks dude it helped alot, sometimes the best thing to do is painfully obvious...
I am newbie.
i just can't get barre chords. my index finger is fleshy so some strings play muted. any way to improve?
i have to roll ur fretting finger a little on its side.
that and practice.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by heyz
I am newbie.
i just can't get barre chords. my index finger is fleshy so some strings play muted. any way to improve?

You have to build some finger muscles by practicing. I don't know if this will help for you but it sure helped me a lot. I found that by doing finger excersises and practicing scales i was able to play barre chords a lot better. Try it and after awhile if you see an improvement let me know.
©Fleabass5

FreakyStyley
HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ey all, can anybody help me with guitar soloing? whenever i play, it sounds stiff and 1-dimensional? like, is it a distortion trick or what? Like if i cant afford the gear, i cant afford the sound?
hello,
i just started to learn caifornication
but i can't figer out how to play this

-0-
-1-
-2-
-3-
-3-
-1-

first thought is to play it like a barre but with that zero it can't be a barre

help plz
^^Yea i know that song too. I use my thumb on the low e string and play the rest with my other fingers.
©Fleabass5

FreakyStyley
oohh. thanks alot. learnt alot on pinch harmonics.
I cuss, you cuss, we all cuss for asparagus!
is there an easier way for me to be able to catch the strumming times of a song?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
practice with a metronome. they have free online tickers.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I need help with soloing, well i kinda suck at soloing and i always lose the tempo and beat, and i never can get it so I give up. What should I do?
VIVA LA REVOLUTION
Great lesson man, I'm a bit of a newb, and I had lernt a little of that stuff, but I didn't get it until now. YOU ROCK!
Quote by everyday
hello,

-0-
-1-
-2-
-3-
-3-
-1-

help plz

thats just a chord.. you hold your finger on the showed fret..
ex:

fret 1 2 3
D-string|------|------|---*---|
in this case (according to the tab you showed us) on the D-String you put one of your fingers on the 3 fret.. like this:

1 2 3
|--------|--------|--(here)--|

and.. when the tab number are shown ABOVE each other (like your example)
then you play those frets at the same time - chords!
it may take a while to learn some chords but if you practice it will go better!
same as aboth i know the a minor scale but i would like to know more
any help ?
A general tip for improvising with Pentatonic scales:

Don't worry about being trapped in the box. Use a few of the notes around the box too if you want. The Minor Pentatonic could be one of many different scales with a note or two taken out on each string. So hitting one note that isn't quite right in the box, might be part of the Minor scale, and will sound good. Or perhaps in Major Pentatonic, you might hit a couple notes from the Natural Minor scale while your whipping through it.

Overall, be free and don't get trapped. Think outside of the pentatonic box (heh) and loosen up.
Suprisingly no one through out the 5 pages has even mentioned one of the best things to do when your beggining.

That is hand exercises. Not scales or anything to do with sound but just exercises to build muscles in your fingers.

I did hand exercises for about 15 minutes a day when i began and noticed great improvements. There easy to do. Ill show you one.

-----------------------------------------------1-2-3-4-2-3-4-5
--------------------------------------1-2-3-4--------------------2-3-4-5
----------------------------1-2-3-4----------------------------------------2-3-4-5
-------------------1-2-3-4---------------------------
----------1-2-3-4-----------------------------
-1-2-3-4--------------------------------------

Then you go all the way back down then all the way back up until your pinky hits the twelth fret then go back up the fretboard.

Make your own as well...Maybe skip a fret..Like....1-3-2-4 Or skip a string then go back up to it...Ex::6th string 4th string 5th string..Put some hammers and pulloffs in there...ANything you like as long as you just practice the basics in a fast and productive manner.

Lastly i got a lot of my information off....Amazingguitarsecrets.com.....Sigh..i hate that i sound like a commercial but that was a really good buy...got it like $50 dollars and it set me up real good.....Little dry but it will teach you a lot.
Last edited by Ellron at Jun 23, 2006,
Quote by CowboyUp
A general tip for improvising with Pentatonic scales:

Don't worry about being trapped in the box. Use a few of the notes around the box too if you want. The Minor Pentatonic could be one of many different scales with a note or two taken out on each string. So hitting one note that isn't quite right in the box, might be part of the Minor scale, and will sound good. Or perhaps in Major Pentatonic, you might hit a couple notes from the Natural Minor scale while your whipping through it.

Overall, be free and don't get trapped. Think outside of the pentatonic box (heh) and loosen up.

I think the pentatonic scale is used way to much..SURE it sounds good but we have tons more scales which sound just as good..

Feel the same way about power chords.
The Ionian Mode in A:

E[-------------------------------------------------------------------
B[-------------------------------------------------------------------
G[-------------------------------------------------------------------
D[--------------------4--6--7--------------------------------------
A[---------4--5--7-------------------------------------------------
E[--5--7------------------------------------------------------------
Tone, Tone Semitone, Tone, Tone, Tone, Semitone

The Dorian Mode in A:

E[-----------------------------------------------------------------------
B[-----------------------------------------------------------------------
G[----------------------------2-----------------------------------------
D[----------------2--4--5----------------------------------------------
A[-----2--3--5---------------------------------------------------------
E[--5-------------------------------------------------------------------
Tone, Semitone, Tone, Tone, Tone, Semitone, Tone

The Phrygian Mode in A:

E[------------------------------------------------------------------------
B[------------------------------------------------------------------------
G[------------------------------------------------------------------------
D[------------------------5--7-------------------------------------------
A[-------------5--7--8---------------------------------------------------
E[--5--6--8--------------------------------------------------------------
Semitone, Tone, Tone, Tone, Semitone, Tone, Tone

The Lydian Mode in A:

E[-------------------------------------------------------------------------
B[-------------------------------------------------------------------------
G[-------------------------------------------------------------------------
D[---------------------4--6--7--------------------------------------------
A[----------4--6--7-------------------------------------------------------
E[--5--7-------------------------------------------------------------------
Tone, Tone, Tone, Semtitone, Tone, Tone, Semitone

im kinda confused on all these patterns. i thought each mode for a key, in this case A, was going up the same way, except its starting on the next note in the scale. all these start on A. should each one be starting on like b, c#, d, etc.?
Quote by Master KaKaN
thats just a chord.. you hold your finger on the showed fret..
ex:

fret 1 2 3
D-string|------|------|---*---|
in this case (according to the tab you showed us) on the D-String you put one of your fingers on the 3 fret.. like this:

1 2 3
|--------|--------|--(here)--|

and.. when the tab number are shown ABOVE each other (like your example)
then you play those frets at the same time - chords!
it may take a while to learn some chords but if you practice it will go better!

i think he means how to do the barre on the first fret without pressing the first string, coz its a zero:
-0- hmmm... how?
-1- barre
-2-
-3-
-3-
-1- barre
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
im kinda confused on all these patterns. i thought each mode for a key, in this case A, was going up the same way, except its starting on the next note in the scale. all these start on A. should each one be starting on like b, c#, d, etc.?

Those are the different modes all exclusive to the key of A.

I.E - A Ionian, A Dorian & A Phrygian and so forth. Not in relation to the A major scale, where the first mode would be A Ionian, second mode would be B Dorian & C# Phrygian.

It's excellent material for beginners... but usually I find string bending causes a few problems, so I usually encompass it around a lick with a chord progression, and a mandatory slide and then the same passage, but with the slide substituted with a bend from and to the same pitch as the slide. It usually drums the pitch into the head, and then they can 'feel' the changes in pitch better with the bend.

Vague, I know... I can elaborate and give you something to work with if you want Zamboni, not that your example isn't good enough, but just a suggestion.
Quote by GuitarN00b
a note on the pinch harmonics - they're hard to coax out of a guitar that only has single coils (like a strat) or a a low wattage amp - you're probably gonna have to turn everything up to get a good screech harmonic

on the other hand, if you've got humbuckers and a higher wattage amp, it's going to be considerably easier for you

also, i have the best luck doing screech harmonics right above the pickups

I actually thing string guage has a lot to do with harmonic volume even on strats with single coils. I went from 9's to 10's and harmonics became a lot easier to do, even though they don't scream quite as well as they do from my Ibanez EX.
Do not worry if you have built your castles in the air. They are where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
- Thoreau

Ibanez Ex-370 For Sale!
Hey,
I am the father of 3 and work a lot of hours to provide for my family. I have only been playing for 2 years and I am not very good. I know my problem is time. I don't have much that I can spare for practice. Does anyone have any tips so I can make the most out of the time I do have to practice? Like building speed and chord changes? Any tips you can share I would be grateful for. You can post them here or email me at tmindham@cox.net

Thx,
Richard
Last edited by Long Hair Slash at Sep 4, 2006,
Cheers for the lesson man! didn't even know about harmonics till the other day haha - i r n00b.
Better to die quick fighting on your feet... than to live forever begging on your knees.

Quote by Kurai
i think he means how to do the barre on the first fret without pressing the first string, coz its a zero:
-0- hmmm... how?
-1- barre
-2-
-3-
-3-
-1- barre

Easy! Use your index finger for the B string, middle for G, pinky for D and fourth for A and use your thumb on the E. Might to some practice to change to and from but its a style John Frusciate uses often.
Why is that when looking up chords, I'll see something like this:

Ab:
e------
G------
B--6--
D--6--
A--4--
E------

And I'll think that's Ab, but then when I hover over the chord, I'll see this:

e ---|---|---|-x-|---|
B -x-|---|---|---|---|
G -x-|---|---|---|---|
D -x-|---|---|---|---|
A ---|---|---|---|---|
E ---|---|---|---|---|

Yeah. Is the Ab shown directly above correct? Or is the other one just a different variation?
Quote by everyday
hello,

-0-
-1-
-2-
-3-
-3-
-1-

help plz

If in doubt, substitute for X X 3 2 1 0 - No-one'll notice if you have a bassist behind you.
Just got to say brief reading this is beneficial. I'm having slight trouble when trying to understand the majority of it though. A video talk through version of this would be really great.

Also one other thing :
The frets for these types of harmonics are these: 12th Fret=First Harmonic, 7th/19th Frets=Second Harmonic, 5th Fret=Third Harmonic, In between the 4th and 5th Frets, and the 16th Fret= Fourth Harmonic, and the 3rd Fret=Fifth Harmonic.

How exactly does this work out for the 2nd & 4th harmonic? In between the 4th and 5th and 16th fret? So does that mean "in between the 4th, 5th AND the 16th fret" (which seems rediculous) is the 4th harmonic or "in between the 4th and 5th fret and ALSO the 16th fret" is the 4th harmonic?

Maybe I'm trying to read it too hard with the wording.
UG's only Manic Street Preachers Fan [So It Seems]
임정현 / FunTwo - Canon Rock
2006 sucked anyways!
Damn stoopid signature