I was thinking the other day: is it possible to tune a 6-string bass like an electric guitar with the right adjustments? I was thinking that you could start with normal tuning (EADG), then tune the high C down to B, then maybe get low E guitar string and make that high E.

I have no plans or pursuing this (thought I might if I had some money) and it's probably not too great of a question, but it has me curious. =P
Quote by Hergiswi
I was thinking the other day: is it possible to tune a 6-string bass like an electric guitar with the right adjustments? I was thinking that you could start with normal tuning (EADG), then tune the high C down to B, then maybe get low E guitar string and make that high E.

I have no plans or pursuing this (thought I might if I had some money) and it's probably not too great of a question, but it has me curious. =P

why don't you just get a guitar
that would be a lot cheaper
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
Quote by cerveza
why don't you just get a guitar
that would be a lot cheaper

But...it would be a like a guitar tuned an octave lower, wouldn't that make more sense when playing with a guitar player?
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Quote by La Qotsa
But...it would be a like a guitar tuned an octave lower, wouldn't that make more sense when playing with a guitar player?

that is called a baritone is it not
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
Quote by cerveza
that is called a baritone is it not

no, baritones are tuned to B.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
ummm i thought the six strin was an octave lower?
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
The Special Ed kid of the bass militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join

Quote by fourstringpunk
She looks like an STD vending machine.
It's vaguely possible, but not very practical.

If you think about it, the tension that's offset by the odd strings would probably wreak havoc on the strings, and most of them would probably pop. Tuning the low B to an E (3 steps higher) and so on doesn't sound that great for a bass's neck. I also doubt that you could find a guitar E string long enough to fit on a long scale bass.

The only bass I've heard of that is tuned like a guitar is the Fender Bass VI, and that is an expensive piece.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
It's completely possible. You just have to find the right gauges of strings. ERBs have strings that go all the way up to .009, so you must be able to find some to fit it. My suggestion would be to look for a piccolo set and try to buy the individual E string.
ah, i see what he means, take off the low b, move all the other strings down, tune the high c to a b, and add another string higher up. that might work, though the added string couldn't be the low e on a guitar, because the high e on a 6-string bass tuned like a guitar would be one octave higher than the low e on a guitar. you'd probably need a custom guage string for this, but you can definitely do it.

if you really want to do something like that, it would be a lot more practical to get a guitar and use a Whammy pedal to take it down an octave.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
ya or you could just get a whammy pedal or and octave pedal for guitar/bass and use that, thats what i do
Member of the Seinfeld fan club --pm the_experience to join

I like chicken

My Gear:
Ibanez RG321MH
Ibanez JS100
Jay Turser JT-300
VOX AD50VT
Digitech RP14D
Quote by t3hrav3n
ah, i see what he means, take off the low b, move all the other strings down, tune the high c to a b, and add another string higher up. that might work, though the added string couldn't be the low e on a guitar, because the high e on a 6-string bass tuned like a guitar would be one octave higher than the low e on a guitar. you'd probably need a custom guage string for this, but you can definitely do it.

if you really want to do something like that, it would be a lot more practical to get a guitar and use a Whammy pedal to take it down an octave.

All he would really need would be a .20-.15. You can buy those here. It's not a really difficult thing, it just takes some extra money to change strings.
Quote by markenator
ya or you could just get a whammy pedal or and octave pedal for guitar/bass and use that, thats what i do

definitely beat you to it.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Quote by Bumper
It's completely possible. You just have to find the right gauges of strings. ERBs have strings that go all the way up to .009, so you must be able to find some to fit it. My suggestion would be to look for a piccolo set and try to buy the individual E string.

I forgot to mention its possible with different strings. Ernie Ball makes a hybrid-type string for 6 string basses. Here's an example. Albeit, they are short scale, but these could be used.

I was pointing out that it's really unpractical with stock strings, Bumper. You get the idea, though.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy

Quote by mh400nt
Last edited by graybass_20x6 at Feb 24, 2007,
^I know that it's unpractical with stock strings. The threadstarter pointed out that he was going to use a tenor five set (EADGC) and add a higher E string.
piccolo strings. honestly
dont ruin a 6 string trying to make it cool.

(i'm still sketchy on the idea of tracking notes with an octaver)

Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX
Digitech BP 80
Ibanez SW 20 / Ampeg BA 115
Squire Affinity Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15
You get basses tuned to EADGBE. They were popular a couple of decades ago. John Swift knows a lot on this topic, so he'll probably be along soon!
I've heard of a guy that tunes his 7-string BEADGBE and has no problems with it. If i had a 7-string, I'd do the same thing.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
^Rob Wave had a seven built that he tuned like that. I'd like to point out that it's very impractical. In the sense of playing bass, it is a much better idea to tune it in straight fourths.
Oh, I totally agree, but then again, I can play some pretty cool bass chords the same way he could play guitar chords.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
^Not really. Playing open chords wouldn't work, it would be much too impractical. Pretty much any chord can be built on a bass tuned in fourths if you have a moderately comprehensive knowledge of chord formation and music theory.
Quote by Bumper
^Not really. Playing open chords wouldn't work, it would be much too impractical. Pretty much any chord can be built on a bass tuned in fourths if you have a moderately comprehensive knowledge of chord formation and music theory.

Pretty much. I have limited knowledge in theory, and even I can form decent chords on my plain 6. It just takes know-how and a little experimentation.

I'm getting the theory in college, though, so I won't be too far off just yet.

Quote by KISSguitarist

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy

Quote by mh400nt
^Chord formation is infinitely the best thing any bassist can learn (just my opinion though). I opens up countless doors to your playing.