So my friend wants to learn bass, and i told him i'd give him some pointers and stuff, but i know theres a little different technique between guitar and bass, so i would like some pointers and things not to forget when i am teaching him bass.
This is how you keep a blonde busy for hours!
Click Here

Quote by gsr2k6
My gf tryed to click your sig link and then asked me why it wouldnt work .

Oh.. wait....
I've always found it difficult to teach somebody else an instrument. In truth, everybody has their own way of playing and style, and you can't teach them. Just be sure to show him good hand technique, and that he knows he can't depend on you to advance. He has to practice himself.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
uhhh....dont teach him to be another crappy bassist who plays it like guitar.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by Woogles

+1
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
Quote by Woogles

im not going to hold his hand the whole time, he just wants some advice on techniques.
Click Here

Quote by gsr2k6

Oh.. wait....
start him off using his fingers, not a pick, and make him play simple punk lines. he will hopefully pick that up, then when he wants to learn techs such as tapping, slapping etc he can come back and ask you
www.myspace.com/nopeepingcommatom

Quote by Braindoctor
Dont ask for buttsecks straight away , wait about 3 minutes then WHAM stick it in her butt.

This guy knows his stuff!
Quote by bassguru
start him off using his fingers, not a pick, and make him play simple punk lines. he will hopefully pick that up, then when he wants to learn techs such as tapping, slapping etc he can come back and ask you

alright, thanks
Click Here

Quote by gsr2k6

Oh.. wait....
I suggest you mainly let him teach himself, however you should give him points on hand position and warn him if he starts getting into bad habits
Warwick Jazzman
Hartke 1415 140Watt
Boss Overdrive
Tell him to use fingers and work on the technique. Use alternate fingers and use a metronome to increase speeds. Make sure he knows about right hand position- thumb on the pickup and left hand position- one finger per fret
signature
When i tell someone how to play, i show them how i learnt to play with my fingers, keeping my thumb anchored to the pickup then alternating fingers. I made him start with his middle then his index, so he didn't become dependent on his index finger. Then i tought him the one finger per fret rule and how to fret. Then i tought him how to read tab, and set him off on some simple songs he knew and liked. Now hes a good basssist, and i feel vaguely proud.
Quote by andyd93
You sir, are correct.
the way i tought myself was i learned a bunch of easy ramones songs, then started to warm up with the guitar's pentatonic scales going up and down the neck with a metronome for rythm and whatnot, then started to just play notes that sounded nice together (more often then not parts of scales, but i didnt really do scales) and used a metronome to keep time.
i would say thats a good way to learn, but looking back i wouldve done some scales before anything else.
ok, thanks for the help guys.
Click Here

Quote by gsr2k6

Oh.. wait....