Page 1 of 2
Bass is my favorite sound in the band, and I always have to squint my ears to hear alot of it.

if someone wanted me to point out the guitar or drum, id be like in one second, bam, right there, if someone wanted me to point out the bass, id be like okay hold on a second.... hmm.. oh yea hear that rumbling

its really annoying, i mean, whats keeping them from turning up the volume?

a lot of bands don't even need bassists cus they dont add to the music much at all.
I love bass

To quote my friend bradley nowel
"We let the bassline drop as loud as we can stand"
Quote by Jonjy2
listen to RHCP...
contemporary modern rock with slap basslines...umm...right
check out primus. or stu hamms solo stuff. or mr. patorius
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
The Special Ed kid of the bass militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join

Quote by fourstringpunk
She looks like an STD vending machine.
If you're listening through little PC speakers that are about 3 inches you won't hear any bass

besides, its there to thicken the sound most of the time. there are ALOT of bands with a prodiminent bass though
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
I don't understand it either. Maybe they do and you just need a $1million dollar sound system to hear it right.

i like to hear the bass, But i think that they play quiet for the same reason that people put socks on their headstocks: they aren't really special players. Good bassists turn it up and let you hear them funk on it. Bad ones are quiet and don't do much.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
squint your ears?
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Classic
Fender HM Strat
Mesa/Boogie 1987 Mark III
Peavey Classic Chorus 130
Boss GT-8
Robert Keeley TS9DX Flexi-4X2
It's not the volume that bothers me, it's the amount of compression. GIVE US BACK OUR DYNAMIC RANGE!
in most modern bands, the bass is there, but you can't really hear it. but if it was removed, you'd miss it, and the music would feel more empty.
Member of the Morley PWB Owners Club. PM mountaindew88 to join.
throw away your television.
one of the greatest bass riffs ever.

agreed wholeheartedly
I don't like having to listen closely to hear the bass. We don't have enough hardcore in your face bass anymore.
You can never have too much.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
It's not an issue of volume, it's frequencies. Humans can hear from approximately 20Hz-20kHz, but our ears are built to amplify mainly the frequencies from around 1.5 - 7kHz (which is the human speech range). This is simply a function of the structure of our ear.

Very low and very high frequencies are not amplified nearly so much (many times less than our "peak range"). So, when listening to music, your ear will pick up the guitar, drums, and voices much more readily than the bass. This results in a perceived lack of bass volume. This is why boosting the high mids/treble of your bass EQ results in a much clearer presence in the mix.

As well, with time you can train your ears to pick out the bass out of the mix much more easily.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Last edited by canadianpunk071 at Feb 23, 2007,
Its turned up but it jus blends more in.In alot of genres of music its really there in the background.
The real issue here is today's sound mixing techniques. In rock music today, it has become common practice to lower the bass frequencies because the general public doesn't care about listening to bass. They also feel it makes music "easier" to listen to. A-holes.
Yeah, that's the same reason you don't see huge dynamic movements nowadays. It's apparently hard to listen to music with some sort of dynamic shift.
Notice the amount of compression on most radio stations? It's sickening.
This is why live music will always be what I need.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Quote by canadianpunk071
As well, with time you can train your ears to pick out the bass out of the mix much more easily.

Indeed. Before I picked up bass, I barely ever heard it. Now that I've been playing for a while, unless its mad low or non-existant. Great explanation, cut it to save some room.
Quote by X Alkaline 3
I dared a Jew to throw rocks at Hitler when he was a young boy..

Never knew he'd take it to heart like that.

iScrobbler

Psalms 62:8
Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.
^Yeah thats true, from just playing Bass for a while and listening to Bass solo artists I have just gained the ability to (usually) hear the Bass in songs. (Same goes for listening to complicated / extreme Music, after while your ears get accustomed to the sound).

And for the most part the Bass mix is fairly laid back and quiet (like most Bassists, lol ), even with some bands who have good / talented Bassists, which is sad (it doesn't have to be like IN YOUR FACE!!! all the time just loud enough, with a clear tone to be easily heard IMHO)
Quote by Kepulix
I love the sound of doom in the morning, it sounds like... victory
listen to RHCP, rage against the machine, primus and some incubus especially SCIENCE
Also, a song can only have so much "audio space."

Your ears can only listen to so much before it becomes unbearable, and the majority of radio-listeners don't have the ability nor do they want to listen to alot of different instruments doing complicated things. So the mixers decide that teens wanna hear some dude sing about his gf while some other guy strums some chords and a drummer does a bass-snare beat.

Cutting the bass down makes it easier for people to pick out the singer. I just wish there were more bass solo sections in songs.

They're so much better than guitar solos on average are. Even though I play guitar
^Yeah that sucks (@radio), but even some other more niche bands / genres have a bad mix too. And I wasn't just referring to Bass solos or special / complicated Bass lines, just the normal ones should be more prominent.
Quote by Kepulix
I love the sound of doom in the morning, it sounds like... victory
Quote by Papathurzday
Bass is my favorite sound in the band, and I always have to squint my ears to hear alot of it.

if someone wanted me to point out the guitar or drum, id be like in one second, bam, right there, if someone wanted me to point out the bass, id be like okay hold on a second.... hmm.. oh yea hear that rumbling

its really annoying, i mean, whats keeping them from turning up the volume?

a lot of bands don't even need bassists cus they dont add to the music much at all.

I don't think its so much the bassist turning the volume up, as it is everybody else lowering theyre volume.

Althought it does help to have a hefty amount of wattage if you're a bass player to keep up with everybody else. But I think guitar amps get exponentially louder when compared to bass amps.
Quote by jazkel24

Any bands you're trying to copy/sound like?
Quote by Hpda5121
I don't think its so much the bassist turning the volume up, as it is everybody else lowering theyre volume.

Althought it does help to have a hefty amount of wattage if you're a bass player to keep up with everybody else. But I think guitar amps get exponentially louder when compared to bass amps.

It's just the nature of what frequencies stand out to the human ear.

But I do agree with bands turning it down, if at least for certain sections. Dynamics add so much to the music, but alot of bands nowadays just play at forte for 3 minutes at a time.
A lot of people find it difficult to hear the abss and it's often hidden by the other instrument.

However, if you remove the bass from a song, almost everyone will notice a definite change. It subtly adds to the music without being in your face and majorly noticeable, like lead guitar or vocals for instance.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Quote by elemenohpee
The real issue here is today's sound mixing techniques. In rock music today, it has become common practice to lower the bass frequencies because the general public doesn't care about listening to bass. They also feel it makes music "easier" to listen to. A-holes.

Your are right on here. Its all in the mix, and the popular preferences, the type of music, the genre of the music and the producer of the recordings whims of fancy. A good way to hear this is to take an artist with some history and the tendency to use different producers over time and watch how not only the bass, but other instruments will ebb and come to the front in the mix from album to album.

Hearing the bass either is a natural skill or something you need to train your ear to do. If you don't "hear" naturally, as you play more bass and learn more bass lines, you'll find you can start picking out the bottom easier. I've never had a problem hearing the frequencies on either end of the spectrum, which is a godsend for learning music.
It's not an issue of volume, it's frequencies. Humans can hear from approximately 20Hz-20kHz, but our ears are built to amplify mainly the frequencies from around 1.5 - 7kHz (which is the human speech range). This is simply a function of the structure of our ear.

Very low and very high frequencies are not amplified nearly so much (many times less than our "peak range"). So, when listening to music, your ear will pick up the guitar, drums, and voices much more readily than the bass. This results in a perceived lack of bass volume. This is why boosting the high mids/treble of your bass EQ results in a much clearer presence in the mix.

Just reposting this, since it had the dubious honour of being at the bottom of the first page, where few people actually read it.

As for mixing, it's true to a point. Western mainstream music has always been driven by the vocals and guitar, so they generally recieve the most attention in the mix.

Another factor is the increasing amounts of compression used in recordings today. Songs are becoming much more compressed than they used to, in order to boost the volume when played over the radio, etc. (songs are also compressed a great deal when put into digital formats such as mp3, as well) As well as killing the dynamics of the song, it cuts off the lowest and highest frequencies in the song. Losing the highest frequencies isn't a huge deal (you will rarely encounter a pleasant sound above 18kHz anyway ), but often the low range contains some of the bass' low fundamental notes. Lose these, lose the bass presence. When this happens, it will often seem as though there is an audible "vacuum" in the song, especially when listening to it over the radio.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
i think alot of it is mix, most of the bass players mentioned here are in 3 pc bands, add a rhythm guitarist, and the dynamics of the songs change so as you don't pick out as much bass. not to mention, 2 guitarists can change what is expected from the bass player so he doesnt need to play as "complicated" lines to keep the rhythm section full sounding
What is odd is that the more I play guitar, the more I hear bass.

Anyways, mixing and compression's really what I think kills the bass.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Rush...the answer is yes.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
I agree with you all the way, but heres some bands that have a bassist that plays an important role and it easily heard

Dream Theater
Symphony X
Death
Necrophagist *Favorite*
Mudvayne
Tool
Shadows Fall-kinda
Racer X
All Shall Perish
Cannibal Corpse
Adagio
This is just to name a few, and I tried not to name the bands that pretty much ARE bass like RHCP's but here are some that bass stands out pretty well if not very well...
Quote by Jonjy2
listen to RHCP...

You can definitely hear the bass there, but I think it's just too too forward in the mix. I love it when a band has the perfect balance of bass and guitars and drums. Zeppelin, Yes, Rush, the Who (post-Tommy) and Pink Floyd are good examples of bands with present bass but not overpowering bass.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Page 1 of 2