I might be able to convince my dad to build a lapsteel guitar with me and I was wondering a few things:

1: What kind of wood could/should I use?
2: Can I use this preslotted fretboard ?
3: I was thinking of having it set up like a stratocaster with three pickups, nut having the bridge single reverse angled (likethat new "reverse" strat) and having a telecaster/lipstick pickup in the neck. I was thinking of going with either a seymour duncan or Dimarzio or a conbanation of both. Any ideas on good pups?
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
I've half-built a lapsteel and it was a lot of fun.

1. You can use whatever wood you want. Mine was made from a mixture of mahogany (or meranti, I never figured out what it was) and a teak fretboard. Experiment with some non-traditional fretboard/body woods.
2. Generally, lapsteels have a much shorter scale length, think around 21-22". That fretboards scale is too big.
3. I don't really think you need that much versatility with your pickups. A single tele bridge pickup would be fine (check out the SD range) or even just a nice P-90 a bit further away from the bridge. It all really comes down to what sounds you want out of it.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by the_random_hero
I've half-built a lapsteel and it was a lot of fun.

1. You can use whatever wood you want. Mine was made from a mixture of mahogany (or meranti, I never figured out what it was) and a teak fretboard. Experiment with some non-traditional fretboard/body woods.
2. Generally, lapsteels have a much shorter scale length, think around 21-22". That fretboards scale is too big.
3. I don't really think you need that much versatility with your pickups. A single tele bridge pickup would be fine (check out the SD range) or even just a nice P-90 a bit further away from the bridge. It all really comes down to what sounds you want out of it.

2: Yeah, I reread my guide (from a month or two old gutiarandbass) and I'm gonna go with a dobro neck from StewMac.
3: I know I don't need that much, but I love to mess around with sounds and stuff. By the time im done It'll probally have an EQ system like those that Frank zappa had on his guitars.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.