What effects did Jimi use? I know he used a phaser alot.

What did he use in "Bold as Love" in the beginning half? His guitar sounded much different than mine when he did the second 2 notes (xx12 and xx14). Its hard to explain, let alone for me to find out on my own. So if someone could please help that would be great.
In general, Jimi's effects included a Vox wah, a Univibe (I think), a Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face and I believe something called an Octavia, I think made by Dallas Arbiter as well.
Last edited by "Tele" Steve at Feb 23, 2007,
Quote by Guitarjunkie18
I don't think he EVER used a phase pedal. Maybe your talking about a Wah?

The latter part of Bold as Love has phaser applied to the whole song, but it's not an effects pedal.

Just some retouching in the studio.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
How does he get his guitar to sound like an "engine" (I don't know a better word to describe it) in the beginning of bold as love though? I want that sound so bad.
Quote by Kutanmoogle
The latter part of Bold as Love has phaser applied to the whole song, but it's not an effects pedal.

Just some retouching in the studio.

I might be wrong, but I don't even think the phaser was out yet. But yeah, they just did some messing around in the studio and with the harpsichord.
Quote by hamett91
I might be wrong, but I don't even think the phaser was out yet. But yeah, they just did some messing around in the studio and with the harpsichord.

You're right about the overdubbing in the studio and the harpsichord, but the phaser (phased stereo) was just made reality at the time of the song by Eddie Kramer and George Chkiantz.

The phaser in Bold as Love was the first recording with that effect on any of Hendrix's albums.
Quote by reilly91
How does he get his guitar to sound like an "engine" (I don't know a better word to describe it) in the beginning of bold as love though? I want that sound so bad.

You mean that slide in the first few seconds?

It's just a slide on the low E from a high fret to a low one.
Quote by Kutanmoogle
You mean that slide in the first few seconds?

It's just a slide on the low E from a high fret to a low one.

Well yeah, but pretty much most the notes in the first half, like the higher pitched ones especially.
Hendrix also used a Uni-Vibe (the best example of this is "The Star-Spangled Banner" from Woodstock), as well as a Leslie rotary organ speaker, which is what you're hearing at the end of "Bold as Love," as well as in "Little Wing." That's how he gets the swirling sound.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Feb 23, 2007,
Quote by Dirk Gently
Hendrix also used a Uni-Vibe (the best example of this is "The Star-Spangled Banner" from Woodstock), as well as a Leslie rotary organ speaker, which is what you're hearing at the end of "Bold as Love," as well as in "Little Wing." That's how he gets the swirling sound.

In Bold as Love, is there also studio-applied phase shifting? The drums are heavily phasered, but is Hendrix also using a rotary effect?
The actual guitar sound is a rotary effect. The whole thing is probably treated with analog phasing.
Hi, I'm Peter