I have a MIM Strat and love it, but I really want a killswitch on it. I've considered doing some very poor killswitch procedures like putting foil or something on a pickup and using the pickup selector as a killswitch. Just an idea. But I want the kind Buckethead uses, you just push down and sound goes off. I would really, really, really, really appreciate anybody who can provide a description on how to do this. I'll sacrifice a tone knob, I never use them anyway. The farthest I've gotten mod wise is changing a couple pickups.

Please help!
Last edited by EuroGuitarist at Feb 23, 2007,
take your guitar to guitar center and have them do it. they installed my killswitch and it came out great. it was 75$, but that was because they had to route it
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
I like les pauls cause you can set one humbuckers volume off then you just flip the selector and it kills all the noise. I usually switch between the pups though so that wont work
I was gonna do that but my Guitar Center doesn't do installations. And I figured I could save some money too. Hahah.

Edit: Directed to rage.
Okay, heres my idea ( I did this to my guitar but with a mini toggle)

1) Do a master volume, master tone re wire

2) Move the volume to the middle hole and the tone to the bottom hole

3)get a push button switch from radio shack and follow whatever part of this diagram you need.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/ata_bbq_lol_omg/guitar%20stuff/killswitch-1.png

This is just so you dont have to drill any more holes, you could leave the pots and just add a switch...
What I would do, because I've never seen the point in tone pots atall is rewire to have three volujmes, and fit an extra tone somewhere. Ultimate tone blending, and set one volume to zero and instaint killswitch.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Is it possible to get a killswitch on my Ibanez RG320DX? My guitar has a volume, tone, and 5 way selector.
Guitars-
Schecter S-1 Elite
Fender MIM Strat
Epiphone SG Faded
Epiphone Sheraton II

Amps-
Peavey Valveking 212

Pedals-
Dunlop CryBaby
Boss NS-2
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9

CHECK OUT MY BAND AT http://www.myspace.com/noneofusalone
Its an illistration of the inside of a guitar and the bottom of a switch! The only thing better would be real pix!

If you were looking at the inside of your guitar you'd probibly get it.
Quote by RATM62592
Is it possible to get a killswitch on my Ibanez RG320DX? My guitar has a volume, tone, and 5 way selector.

Yes.

Use the box up in the corner, relative to the volume pot.

When considering a killswitch, the number of pickups is irrelevant, it's the number of volume controls.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Oh, I didn't see that post.

I'll be back in a couple minutes with a worded description.

EDIT:
Quote by tearsinheaven13
So let me get this right. I need a SPST Normally Open Toggle Switch with one connector soldered to the same loop on the volume pot that the ground is soldered to and colder the other end of the toggle switch to the loop on the vol pot that has the hot output? If that is right how do i know which end of the switch to solder to which loop. also if you have the spare time to help me could you find a swicth on radioshacks website that would work for this project and send me the link. THANKS A TON!!!

This is from the brain of another user who I helped work out his killswitch problems.

Simply put, you need to add 3 things to your guitar. Two wires and a switch.

The first wire is soldered on one end to the back of the volume pot. The other end of this wire is soldered to a pin on the switch. I prefer to have it soldered to the outside pin.
The second wire is soldered on one end to the middle lug/prong of the volume pot. The other end of this wire is soldered to the middle pin of the switch.

Any other questions?
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Last edited by Will_Minus at Feb 23, 2007,
if you live near dc or ny ill do it for you for the cost of parts
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
i just put a killswitch on my squier. i had no idea what i was doing, but it worked. i went to the hardware store, bought a two way switch, then drilled a small hole in my pickguard so i could mount the switch in it, then i cut one of the wires going fromt he volume pot to the jack on the guitar, and put the switch between. then i spliced the wires together, soldered it, and tried it out. worked perfectly. maybe it was a fluke tho...
if you got a spst switch you can just run from hot(middle of volume pot) to one lug on switch then fron the other switch lug to ground(pot casing)

thats the way i did it and i works perfect
Quote by killfrog
if you got a spst switch you can just run from hot(middle of volume pot) to one lug on switch then fron the other switch lug to ground(pot casing)

thats the way i did it and i works perfect

Quote by tubab0y

Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!