Sorry for asking such questions, but I just want to know exactly what these terms are, and basically just a quick summary of how you do them.

Sweep-picking
Arpeggios....what exactly are they?
Tapping
HSS, HSH...what does this mean?

I know that this info is probably posted somewhere on this massive site, but I just want to hear from you guys about this.

thanks

btw...does anyone know what kind of guitar kurt cobain used?
Last edited by CxS at Feb 23, 2007,
kurt cobain has a fender jag-stang, its his sig model i think
sweep picking is self explanitory really, search it on youtube.
arpeggios are the notes of a chord spread out or played seperately
tapping is another thing you should search on youtube
HSS means Humbucker-single-single, and HSH means humbucker-single-humbucker. these are two types of pickup configurations. My guitar has a HH pickup configuration meaning that i have a humbucker by the neck and one by the bridge. If i had an HSH configuration i would have a single coil pickup between them. both humbuckers and single coil pickups have two different sounds for different kinds of music.
signitcha
Schecter C-1 Classic
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
MXR 10 Band EQ
Last edited by TacoPaco9317 at Feb 23, 2007,
You could just use google, but I'll help anyway.

Sweep picking is where you sweep your pick however many strings while muting the string played before it. It results in a quick and fluid sounding phrase.

Arpeggios are just a collection of notes in a chord played one at a time instead of all at once.

Tapping is where you use your picking hand to do something like a "Hammer-On" on the fretboard.

Cobain used an assortment of guitars, but mainly Fenders (Mustang, Jaguar, Strat, Tele, Jagstang).

HSH is a pickup configuration.

Bridge Pickup - Middle Pickup - Neck Pickup

H = Humbucker
S = Single Coil
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
k, sweep picking is when u play more than one string on a downward stroke, and play them like a chord, but only one note at a time, an arpeggios is normally something u sweep pick, althought it doesnt always have to be, its just likea chord with all the individual notes played one at a time, pretty fast, tapping usually means just touching the string down on a fret which is indicated with either ur finger or the edge of the pick, and HSS mesans humbucker, single, single, and Humbucker single Humbucker, which is a pick up configuration for guitars, any more questions?
Quote by stellar_legs
You know, Jonathan Brandis from The Never Ending Story Part 2 died a few years back.

Guess his story ended.....

BOOM!
I see...so humbuckers are known for a warm, blues type tone, right? What are the single coil pickups good for?
oh yeah, Kurt used left handed Jag Stang, or his custom model by fender which i don't know the name of
Quote by stellar_legs
You know, Jonathan Brandis from The Never Ending Story Part 2 died a few years back.

BOOM!
here goes....

sweep picking- you sweep the pick up and down multiple strings, sort of like strumming except that you don't let the notes ring with your fretting hand. the result is an arpeggio

arpeggio- created from sweep picking and string skipping

tapping- you use your picking hand to 'tap' a note while you have a note somewhere down the neck with your fretting hand, you let up with your picking hand and either hammer-on or pull-off with your fretting hand thats one of many ways to do it

hss- humbucker, single coil, single coil hsh- humbucker, single coil, humbucker they are used to describe pickup configurations on guitars
singles are prolly better for a warm sound, but its all mainly how you play, how u adjust ur eq, and how u have the knobs set on ur guitar, and how u play generally
Quote by stellar_legs

BOOM!
but humbuckers are good and so are singles, but i prefer humbuckers
Quote by stellar_legs

BOOM!
so, about sweep picking. basically, as you do a downstroke, each string that you pluck on the way down, you hit a note on that string? if that is the case, that requires some damn speed
one more question, its about amps. so there are two types of amps...tube amps..,and what is the other type? what are the differences/benefits?

thanks for all the help, much appreciated.
i've built up calluses on my fretting fingers...say i go a week w/o playing guitar...will these calluses go away, and if so, would they form easier...
Quote by CxS
one more question, its about amps. so there are two types of amps...tube amps..,and what is the other type? what are the differences/benefits?

thanks for all the help, much appreciated.

These are just generalizations.

Tube Amps

Pros - Sound better (generally) and clip nicely when cranked, louder
Cons - You have to care for them more (IE - Use the standby switch, don't turn on the amp after quick shifts in temperature, replacing tubes every few years)

Solid State Amps

Pros - Cheaper, More reliable
Cons - Sound horrible when cranked

Quote by B-Cup666
singles are prolly better for a warm sound, but its all mainly how you play, how u adjust ur eq, and how u have the knobs set on ur guitar, and how u play generally

In general, humbuckers are warmer while single coils are thinner.

Quote by CxS
i've built up calluses on my fretting fingers...say i go a week w/o playing guitar...will these calluses go away, and if so, would they form easier...

They won't go away unless you pick them off or lotion your hands a lot .

After awhile you'll desensitize the tips of your fingers so it won't really matter.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
thanks

for my next guitar, i'll probably go with humbuckers for pickups, and upgrade to a tube amp