which of the following is the best way to achieve this....

master volume on like 8-10 and channel vol like on 1

OR

channel volume on like 8-10 and master vol on 1

?

i wanna get that uber cranked sound everyone talks about
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Quote by lanzaa
which of the following is the best way to achieve this....

master volume on like 8-10 and channel vol like on 1

OR

channel volume on like 8-10 and master vol on 1

?

i wanna get that uber cranked sound everyone talks about

I wouldn't ever go to 10, I blew my bass amp with the channel volume at like 3 and master at 10.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
if you want powertube saturation, master volume has to be cranked. Channel vol will push the preamp.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
^ you two guys contradict each other

and another thing, i thought if the knob goes to 10 its meant to go to ten?

i mean theoretically (sp?) i can put my amp on 10 chan vol and 10 master vol...?
Gear
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
you need to raise the master to get tube saturation, but it doens't have to be at 10. 6-8 should work pretty well too. Then use the channel volume to adjust cleans/distortion.
when i turn the master vol pretty high 5-8 i get this loud hum coming from my amp on the clean channel, is this normal?
Gear
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Quote by lanzaa
when i turn the master vol pretty high 5-8 i get this loud hum coming from my amp on the clean channel, is this normal?

where u hear the hum, that means u are overdriving the speakers i believe. maybe u need a volume pedal to reduce the hum while u are playing clean?
the hum comes from teh back of the amp and it gets louder as the master vol goes up.

i dont hear it on the od channel tho

and also it wont damage my amp right? i mean i dont want to be playing and have my amp blow up...
Gear
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Quote by lanzaa
^ you two guys contradict each other

and another thing, i thought if the knob goes to 10 its meant to go to ten?

i mean theoretically (sp?) i can put my amp on 10 chan vol and 10 master vol...?

the whole point of a master volume, is so you can crank the preamp without overdriving the powersection. This allows you to get more preamp gain and od without having the amp at ear splitting levels. If you want powertube breakup, the master volume is what has to be turned up. Yes they can be turned up to 10, but it's not necessary normally. You can get plenty of preamp gain, and powertube overdrive without having everything dimed. My amps start to get powertube saturation with the master at about 11:00-12:00, although this differs from amp to amp obviously. Your manual will probably give a suggestion for where the master should be set to start driving the poweramp.

Driving the power or preamp section very hard will wear out the tubes faster, but it "shouldn't" damage the amp unless it's clipping your speakers. I've never kept an amp dimed for long however, so ymmv. Personally, I wouldn't keep everything dimed, there is no need, and everything has to work harder. As for the hum, that can be a number of things. How old are the tubes in the amp? Microphonics are a common problem with hissing or hum, sometimes the big electrolytic capacitors can also begin to dry out and cause hum. How old is the amp itself?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Feb 24, 2007,
i got this almost a month ago so its pretty damn new and according to that stickied tube thread my tubes are very microphonic
Gear
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
well, it can happen. Tubes are a very old technology, and only a few factories overseas still make them as far as I know. They can last 20 minutes, or 20 years, there are no guarantees unfortunately.
amp clips
amp vids
so what exactly are you saying then, some of the tubes may be busted?
Gear
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Well set both volumes high. Basically set them equally and increase them.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by lanzaa
so what exactly are you saying then, some of the tubes may be busted?

they aren't necessarily busted as in blown, but they can go bad, with either microphonic or hum/hissing problems, usually preamp tubes. Is it just happening on the clean channel, or is it just not as noticable on the other channels? If it's only on the clean, it should be possible to isolate it to the tube associated with the clean channel. Your manual may have a tube schematic that shows what the different tubes(v1, v2, v3, etc..) are associated with. If it's a bad preamp tube, you can replace just the bad one. If you have a bad power tube, you should replace all the tubes with a new matched set. There are also other things that can give you hum or feedback, make sure it isn't a problem somewhere else, like cables, grounding issue, etc.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Feb 24, 2007,
it completely goes away when i go on the od channel. i mean i can feel it on the floor when it is humming and when i switch channels it just goes away.

and i only started noticing it today since its like the first time i have put the master vol around the 5 level
Gear
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Quote by lanzaa
i
... and i only started noticing it today since its like the first time i have put the master vol around the 5 level

Here's this kid who starts his day off figuring he's going to reach tonal nirvana, types www.ulimate-guitar.com on his PC, happy as a flea that landed on his favorite dog and kicks off a new thread "power tube saturation: how do you do it ? ". I mean like, dude, if it sounds cool just by calling it by it's name, then it really gotta sound cool in real.

After a few hours of eardrum piercing feedbacks, adjusting the volume and eq knobs to get a cranked "Master Volume" under control and clean the mud from the sound, and a few extra stops by UG to confirm that hum is hum and not power tube saturation, a month old guitar amp, thought to be perfectly working in the morning and with a clean channel thought to be too squeaky clean, ends the day with microphonic tubes and a lot less squeaky clean clean channel, but instead of being tonally blessed by power saturation, is now noisily cursed by power intereferences.

Some purses gotta love UG.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.
Quote by ColdGin
Here's this kid who starts his day off figuring he's going to reach tonal nirvana, types www.ulimate-guitar.com on his PC, happy as a flea that landed on his favorite dog and kicks off a new thread "power tube saturation: how do you do it ? ". I mean like, dude, if it sounds cool just by calling it by it's name, then it really gotta sound cool in real.

After a few hours of eardrum piercing feedbacks, adjusting the volume and eq knobs to get a cranked "Master Volume" under control and clean the mud from the sound, and a few extra stops by UG to confirm that hum is hum and not power tube saturation, a month old guitar amp, thought to be perfectly working in the morning and with a clean channel thought to be too squeaky clean, ends the day with microphonic tubes and a lot less squeaky clean clean channel, but instead of being tonally blessed by power saturation, is now noisily cursed by power intereferences.

sorry, you haven't been a member long enough to diss noobs.

and if it's only on one channel, chances are your tubes are microphonic. and a volume pedal won't help, it'll decrease the gain as well.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by ColdGin