hey, i got my pod xt live a few weeks ago, and ive been using headphones with them ever since. I don't currently have an amp, cause using it would drive my neighbor's insane. but ive moved, and i was planning to get a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. now, i dont want to make my pod xt obselete, so i was hoping there would be a way to use my podxt live with the amp, but still be able to use the amps clean tone at the same time (like, switch from pod xt to just amp, like turning on and off a stompbox). ive read things about plugging the pod into a "PA" or soemthing? and ive also heard about how you can plug it into an effect loop or something. lol, im sorry, im really new to amps and stuff, help would be greatly appreciated.

oh yeah seperate question. i heard using tube amps are the best only when its at high volume? if thats true, is there a way to still maximize the tone at low volumes?
Tube amps still sound good at normal volumes, but you can always get an attenuator if you want the "cranked" tone without the volume.

I'm pretty sure the Pod XT Live has a "Bypass" option that deactivates it so you just hear the amp's natural tone.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
hey, thanks a bunch for the reply. how would plugging it into the fx loop work? like, how will the podxt live turn on and off and such. or will it take like a 5 year old's common sense to do it once you see it yourself?
Quote by FacingUsAll
Tube amps still sound good at normal volumes, but you can always get an attenuator if you want the "cranked" tone without the volume.

I'm pretty sure the Pod XT Live has a "Bypass" option that deactivates it so you just hear the amp's natural tone.

oh sweet, thanks, i guess ill save up for an attenuator then. lol you know what, i bet it does have a bypass button >_> thanks man
I think you'll find that the XTL's amp-models don't sound so great through most conventional guitar amps. In my experience modelers sound best through clean amps with alot of headroom. I haven't tried mine with a HotRod but I'd guess that amp would work well with an XTL. A couple of years ago I found the old Ampeg VT-22 I have now and it's the best piece of gear I've ever bought. That amp makes the modeled sounds of the XTL go from pretty good to flat-out astounding. If you ever happen to run across a VT-22 or V4 I'd highly recommend checking it out. They were made in the 70's and are really loud, beautiful-sounding clean amps with no built-in gain. They also have these cool notch switches that change the range of the EQ knobs, a really cool feature to help dial in a good sound with a modeler. They're usually really inexpensive on Ebay too, like around $500-$600 most of the time.

I'll bet the HotRod will work nicely though. It can take ALOT of experimenting to get an XTL to sound good through an amp so I'd recommend using the Line6 Sound Library site. I went there and downloaded like 100 patches to my XTL and just scrolled through them until I found one that sounded good through my amp. Once I did I used that patch as a template for building my own sounds. Doing that saved me a ton of time, now that I know how most things should be set for my amp I've been amazed at the tones I'm getting now. Anything from jangly to crunchy to extreme high-gain and I'm loving all of it, best guitar sounds I've ever had. I a/b'ed both the clean and high-gain sounds with those of my previous amp, a Framus Cobra, and this rig just smokes it. Sounds sketchy, I know, but I can't argue with my own ears. Plus, it's alot cheaper than my old setup, I scored my Ampeg for a paltry $500. The most important thing to get an XTL to sound right with an amp is making sure you have things set right in Output Settings.

I can't give you much advice about using a PODxtLive with a poweramp/cab, although it could be cool, especially if you wanted a stereo rig. The only poweramp I tried mine through was a Mesa 2:90, which did not work well at all. If you do go this route though, I'd advise sticking with a tube poweramp, especially if you'll be playing live with a band at all. Tubes can really help to warm up the tone and help it to not sound so digital.

PS- regarding cranking tube amps. Yea, most tube amps do sound best at loud volume but most guys with 50 to 100-watt amps who play clubs don't usually get the opportunity to play loud enough to get true power tube saturation. And if you're using an XTL as a preamp it's not much of an issue anyway. Lots of people at UG love to talk about "pushing the amp for that warm power tube distortion" but honestly, most people can't do that much unless they're either playing huge venues or playing low-wattage amps or using attenuators.

Anyway, hope this helped. Don't let anyone tell you you can't get good live sounds using an XTL 'cause you can. It's just a matter of spending the time experimenting and using it with the right amp.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Quote by RedHotFan182
try plugging the pod xt into the fx loop if the hot rod has one

+1, otherwise you're basically running a preamp into another preamp, which usually doesn't work well (although it does with my amp).

It IS easy to bypass the XTL's amp-modeling if you only want to use it for effects. I usually do that for my clean sound.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
wow fatgraymatt, that pretty much answered everything i had in mind! thanks a bunch, i really appreciate it. oh and i must say... my eyes are not worthy of your gear
Not a problem, and thanks for the compliment.

When using your XTL with an amp just remember to take your time, turn knobs and have fun. It still amazes me how many capabilities these units and GT-8's have, I would've killed for something like that when I was just starting. Of course, that was way back shortly after the invention of the wheel.

PS-- this site has alot of cool info for people who use modelers:

http://thestompbox.net/
Last edited by fatgraymatt at Feb 24, 2007,