i already have the 81/85 combo but im looking to upgrade to some better emgs. im using a jackson DKMGT through a marshall MG ( soon too upgrade to peavey tube amp) my budget is around 300$. im also lookin around for an EQ pedal (around 100$) to satisfy the MG tone for a while.
(signature removed, please choose another)
They're fine, just do a 18v mod.
About the EQ, a Danelectro Fish n Chips if you're a cheap bastard.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
the only thing that you can do to make that combo better would be to get the afterbuner... i think kerry king has them on his guitars... its a switch that adds like 10 db to you sound... and as for the EQ, check out the dunlop one.
well then, is there anything that will give a nice death metal sound other than EMG that someone could recommend. and i have like 400 bucks in B-day money im willing to spend on an EQ and pickups
Quote by player o slayer
well then, is there anything that will give a nice death metal sound other than EMG that someone could recommend. and i have like 400 bucks in B-day money im willing to spend on an EQ and pickups

Get your new amp first before you decide that you need an EQ and pickups.

There's no sense trying to get better tone out of something that you are replacing soon (and could use the money to replace sooner).
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
when i say soon i mean year or so. i want to upgrade the GUITAR with the PICKUPS and the EQ which i can completely afford is for the AMPLIFIER. and if it sounds fine coming through the MG (**** me as hard as you want i still dont think the MG is that bad, its just not the best) then ill just not buy an amp.
^+1.

I was just going to say the same thing.

edit: to facingusall...he's tehz pwnz.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by player o slayer
when i say soon i mean year or so. i want to upgrade the GUITAR with the PICKUPS and the EQ which i can completely afford is for the AMPLIFIER. and if it sounds fine coming through the MG (**** me as hard as you want i still dont think the MG is that bad, its just not the best) then ill just not buy an amp.

The guitar is going to sound different through different amps, even if it has the same pickups...

If you really are hell-bent on getting an EQ pedal, Electro-Harmonix makes a great one.

Have you played through the amp you want to buy?

I may just be generalizing here, but I often find that after playing extensively with a good tube amp, people will realize how much better the tone is than with their old amp.

Just a thought in trying to help you not waste money .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Feb 24, 2007,
Quote by aznrockerdude
They're fine, just do a 18v mod.

What is the 18v mod? what does it change?

and how do you do it?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
What is the 18v mod? what does it change?

and how do you do it?

You wire in another 9v battery in series/parallel with your current battery to get twice the power.

This either gives you more headroom or more battery life depending on how you wire it.

Also, you can't really upgrade from a set of active EMGs. They're pretty much the standard pickup for Metal and if you're having a tough time getting a Metal tone chances are it isn't your guitar/pickups. The Jackson isn't a bad guitar and active EMGs are great pickups.

edit:

To re-literate it once again. It is NOT your guitar. Get a new amp and your 'tone' problem will be solved.
^
thanx its nice to get complenments on UG and ik my guitar is fine im just lookin to put out some more gain. ik the MG isnt top class but im lookin at a 5150 used for like 300 bucks cab+head and an after burner. thanx guys
Quote by player o slayer
^
thanx its nice to get complenments on UG and ik my guitar is fine im just lookin to put out some more gain. ik the MG isnt top class but im lookin at a 5150 used for like 300 bucks cab+head and an after burner. thanx guys

1. What is it that you're looking for, more gain? It's your amp.
2. Good luck trying to score 5150 stack + afterburner for 300. It's just plain impossible, unless if the seller is REALLY dumb or something like that.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
You wire in another 9v battery in series/parallel with your current battery to get twice the power.

This either gives you more headroom or more battery life depending on how you wire it.

ahh right sweet, i may do that

edit: which way would give me more headroom and which way would give me more battery life?
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Last edited by Yngwi3 at Feb 26, 2007,
um on ebay theres a 5150 thats goin for like 300 or so and the after burner is like 50 bucks
Quote by Yngwi3
ahh right sweet, i may do that

edit: which way would give me more headroom and which way would give me more battery life?

parallel wiring for longer battery life, series for 18V
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
parallel wiring for longer battery life, series for 18V

cheers dude

Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

I really like the 18V mod. According to EMG:
The output level will not appreciably increase, but you'll have increased headroom and crisper transients. This is especially useful for percussive/slap bass styles where you can generate enormous instantaneous power levels across the entire frequency spectrum.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
dude, i love my EMG's, i have a guitar with 81/85's and one with dual 81's. the one with 81/85's i find personally better. what you need dude is a new amp. don't waste $400 on soemthing stupid like that. just get a new amp to compinsate for your shit amp. You have a pretty nice guitar, get a good amp, save that $400. trust me.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore