All the people at my school hoo ask me wat new songs my band is playing think that if we do some cover songs we are a "copy" band..... I was just wondering if anybody else has this problem and wat do you do to stop it??
They don't know what they are talking about.
In my opinion, you need to start out with covers when you're in a band because it helps you learn to play together and kind of get a feel for what you are all capable of. Then you start writing songs and add them to set lists until you have enough to support an entire set list.

At least, this is my theory.
Ive played in a cover band for a while and hated it... People allways try and say things like "You did the bridge different", "You didnt play the solo the same as the original" etc..... That just shits me, i much prefer doing my own thing, that way no one can say anything.....
Plus your never really going to get anywhere being a cover band are you....
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
Quote by Koolcow
In my opinion, you need to start out with covers when you're in a band because it helps you learn to play together and kind of get a feel for what you are all capable of. Then you start writing songs and add them to set lists until you have enough to support an entire set list.

+1

Threadstarter: To stop it, start kicking some ass and taking some names.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by sheumack111
Ive played in a cover band for a while and hated it... People allways try and say things like "You did the bridge different", "You didnt play the solo the same as the original" etc..... That just shits me, i much prefer doing my own thing, that way no one can say anything.....
Plus your never really going to get anywhere being a cover band are you....

true but you get more choice of gigs when your in a covers band and chances are that they are paying gigs too
unless you live in an area with a thriving music scene in which case do what the hell you want you'll get gigs and get paid
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
You need both. I rather jam along riffs and ideas I have in my head than always play the same boring shit that everyone knows
My gear:
-Ibanez JS 6000 Custom w/ 11-48 gauge
-Ibanez FGM 400BB w/ 10-46 gauge
-Peavey 6505 2x12 Combo
-MXR Phase 90
-Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
-Morley Wah/Volume Pro Series II
-Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
-Gator G-Bus 8
-Xotic BB Preamp
That's what people say to me. We'll bust out Mr. Crowley spot-on and all people will say is "write any of your own stuff yet?" And we'll say "well, we have some riffs we're working..." "No? Well I'm better then HAHA!" Then he'll play some stupid riff that's just the first 3 notes in a scale.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by skater dan0
true but you get more choice of gigs when your in a covers band and chances are that they are paying gigs too
unless you live in an area with a thriving music scene in which case do what the hell you want you'll get gigs and get paid

True.... We get paid for our gigs preety well and we only do originals.... But then again we may be just lucky..... We are a pub band though...
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
Quote by Koolcow

+10

Yes i totally agree. This is how my band started out. After about 3 or 4 covers, make some originals. My band is on our 2 original now. and we have 4 covers done.
METALLICA
MACHINE HEAD

JANUARY 13TH

JOE LOUIS ARENA

Quote by Jehuty
It's not rape if you yell surprise.

Quote by ZanasCross
Girls his dad's age rarely still have nice asses. Gravity attacks.
Quote by sheumack111
True.... We get paid for our gigs preety well and we only do originals.... But then again we may be just lucky..... We are a pub band though...

makes sense if your the resident band

but for people like myself living in a welsh valley where paying gigs for originals bands is limited to supporting bigger bands like lostprophets, bfmv etc and if your willing to play for free then theres the occasional jam night in some pubs

otherwise if your looking for cash in an originals band its covers all the way but slowly slip in your own material until you become recognised for it
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I'm with a cover band right now. I'm about 30% happy. Most of the happiness comes from the fact that these guys can play for the most part and we have one of the best singers in town. The main reason I'm not happy is these guys are busy and won't learn new songs as much as i would like.

What it comes down to is.. do you want to stay home or play? I once played with a guitarist who absolutely refused to play covers. His only responce was "They're gay".. when the original band we had together broke up, he had NO where to go. That band broke up around August/September and to my knowledge he hasn't been in a band since.

Ideally, the best bands will have a good range of covers and a damn good original set list.

I've actually never had anyone tell me (You didn't play the bridge right). I know we don't play some of the songs we cover right, but I have a feeling I'm the only one who notices. When I was in an acoustic duo, we would change stuff up all the time and people liked that for the most part. The thing I really hate are the rednecks who want to hear nothing but Lynyrd Skynyrd and classic rock all night. Don't you think after 30 years they would get sick of these songs?
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
it depends what you want to do with your band.

if you're actually just in it for the music, and don't even care about gigging or shows, just play your own tunes. cover songs are nice to have when you first meet new musicians, beacuse you can get used to each other's sound while playing something that's familiar to you both.

if you want to gig anywhere, you might as well learn some covers. It doesn't mean you have to do them just like the record. You can do a medley of riffs, you can do a cover in your band's own style, you can do punked up versions of classic crooner songs, you can do whatever...

some bars require that you mix in some covers to keep their customers happy. Remember that if you gig anywhere, the venue is a business, and if your band is not yet good enough to draw a big crowd of your own fans, you better be doing something to keep the patrons ordering drinks. I mean, they're not gonna kick you offstage for not doing covers, but you might not get asked back if all that happns is you play three sets of original material to a half-empty bar full of your friends who you asked to come down and see you anyways, most of whom arrive and leave with the band, and don't drink much.

if you're interested in earning extra money to fund your original bands, the usual way to do so is to join a band that just plays covers... if you're good at guitar, you can learn 50 songs in week or two, especially if they're rock/alternative standards. the nice thing about cover bands is that it's a cakewalk as long as you can play. You get booked into nicer clubs where there's always an audience, band or not... they just want to hear covers, but they're so drunk that they love every cover you play, which makes it easier to do the shows. Plus you get paid like, ten times as much to do cover shows in some cases.

if you plan to gig, try to do this: write two 50-minute sets of original songs, and learn one 50-min set of covers. You can arrange your set list any way you like, but that's a respectable ratio for a working band without a fan base, especially if you put your own spin on the songs.
Im im in a band in the St Paul area in Minnesota. Were called Left Perception and we never played one cover song since we started about 4-5 months ago. We've played around 15-20 shows in that time and weve got alot of respect because we dont cover songs. check us out. we only got some crappy songs up but were recording right now....www.myspace.com/leftperception add us and be our friends

thanks,
left perception
leftperception, a roommate of mine was from Minnesota and he told me before that the original music scene there was very strong. In a lot of rural areas, your band will go NO where if you don't do covers. Even the top originals bands around here do covers because they have to. Location matters!

There is this one band from Baltimore that has been together for 15+ years. They played a bar here a few months ago and the cover charge was $10, which is considered high for my area. They started to get booed off the stage because they just did originals. One guy yelled out "I didn't pay $10 to hear your stuff!" Harsh, but it's reality.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.