so ive been reading up in my theory book lately, and for an 11th chord, it says that if its a major chord it should be written with an augmented 11th because of the interval between a major 3rd and 11th behind a minor 9th....i get it...but ive never heard of this before, is this really common? it also says for minor chords, that you dont have to sharp the 11th, which i understand...but now that i think of it, i havent had much interaction with 11th chords....so im just wondering if its common to see stuff written like C9(#11)

also in identifying chords, whats the proper way to identify a minor scale, i know that upper case roman numerals are major, and lower case are minor, but what confused me is in the book i have it says a harmonized major scale should be written like this:

I IImi IIImi IV V VImi VIIo
cant you just write it like:
I ii iii IV V vi viio

and whenit comes to harmonzing with 7ths...this is where i get kind of lost

Ima7 IImi7 IIImi7 IVma7 V7 VImi7 VIImi7(b5)

cant you write those as lower case for the ones that are minor? because from what i know it would have no effect on the 7th that i can think of........

i have plenty more comin, just not now

*hopes bangoodcharlote happens to be in the area*
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
also, whats the difference between say... Imaj7 and Ima7..if there is any

and the book says that(it has been wrong from time to time) an Ab9sus chord would be spelled out like this:

Ab Db Eb Gb Bb

isnt that G supposed to be a G natural?
Quote by beadhangingOne
Last edited by EZLN libertad at Feb 24, 2007,
The only way I have seen minor scale chords written is this:

i ii* bIII iv v bVI bVII

and for major scales I've seen harmonized 7ths written as:

Imaj7 iim7 iiim7 IVmaj7 V7 vim7 vii*

I don't know about the 11th chord thing, but why would a minor 9th matter if all the intervals (from the root note) of a major 11th chord are major? *shrug*

And Ima7 probably means I major 7th.

and the book says that(it has been wrong from time to time) an Ab9sus chord would be spelled out like this:

Ab Db Eb Gb Bb

isnt that G supposed to be a G natural?

No. If the Gb was G natural, that would make the chord Abmaj9sus. I think the book is meaning Ab dominant 9 with a suspended 4th.
Last edited by kirbyrocknroll at Feb 24, 2007,
ahhhhh merci
Quote by beadhangingOne