Page 1 of 2
I read on the rancid website that it will come out this spring but thats all i know. will somebody fill me in.
It keeps getting set back because of the departure of Brett Reed. Not only does Branden have to write new songs for the upcoming album but he has recently had to learn almost 40 old Rancid songs to play with them. The drums won't take long on the new album though its just a set back that Reed left.

Tim Armstrong is working on his solo songs and promoting the other Hellcat bands before Rancid right now. Expect the new Rancid CD to be similar to Tim Armstrongs solo work.
tim armstrong's solo work sounds NOTHING like rancid. and wasent tim's solo album supposed to come out in 2006, to "keep the streak going"? whatever happened to that. oh well.
THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

Rancid has a lot of music ratmjb. Some of which is fairly ska.

And saying that Rancids music will sound ' similar ' to Tims solo work isn't a bad assumption.

I'm actually kinda hoping it sounds similar. I am a fan of Tims solo material I actually think if you take it for what it is its very good.
Considering Tim writes 99999999999999999999.99999% of Rancids music it might sound like ' Hold On ' or ' Wake Up ' -esq.

Rancid has always sounded however Tim Armstrong feels at the moment. Tim Armstrong is a poet and song writer and whatever his mood is in those months/years of recording/writing music for an album is how it will sound.

Right now Tim Armstrong is heavily into ska music. As you could tell by the new direction Hellcat Records has taken signing more ska bands and less psychobilly bands as of late.

But WHO KNOWS? Rancid is pretty much a punk band above all else so I guess we'll see.
Hopefully it'll all mix together and create some more ' Timebomb '-ish stuff. It'll be good nevertheless.
hopefully never... maybe the downfall album will come out instead... or even better they can take out the last 12 or so years of them being a band.
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
Quote by whyvern
hopefully never... maybe the downfall album will come out instead... or even better they can take out the last 12 or so years of them being a band.

AGREED
I love all forms of Rock 'n' Roll, past and NOT present
See whyvern like I said in my earlier post Rancid pretty much sounds however Tim Armstrong feels.

What material are you talking about that you want to take out? Indestructible?? Besides Red Hot Moon I can see what you're saying with that. I don't necessarily agree but I understand because I used to feel the same way. Are you also talking about Rancid 2000?? Whats wrong with that album? It isn't anywhere near their best its one of their weakest albums but what do you not like about it? I'm curious.

I'll tell you this though the reason Indestructible was weak is because it was the first album Tim Armstrong was sober. So all their songs on that album are ' sober Tim. ' Tim stopped using cocaine amoungst other drugs shortly after Rancid 2000. God bless Tim for his strong sobriety the past 6 years -same with Lars, but I think thats why Rancids music kinda fell off.

But Tims solo music is great so we'll see.
ugh...it is okay...until tim starts to sing...then i got to turn it off....im sorry...it is horrible his vocals...
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
Tims voice definitely is an acquired taste. I will admit that much.

You kinda have to know or even have seen them to appreciate them to the fullest.
Tim Armstrong has done more for punk music than I think anyone here can even begin to imagine. He is also a great musician.
as a musician, he is okay...
um...what he has done for punk music, i believe has digressed the genre, to tell the truth.
i wouldn't mind if we put rancid with greenday and off the list...i'd prefer it...but i live with them...btw i got all the albums excluding industructible...and none are good...a couple songs here and there, and those good ones are songs that lars sings...
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

I disagree with you here mike. My favorite Rancid music is without Lars actually. Check out Rancids first album. If you don't have it maybe download ' Adina ' ' Hyena ' or ' Rats In the Hallway '

The bass work in that CD is incredible and as is the guitar work. As far as Rancid goes I've never been thaaat impressed with the guitar work compared to other things but the guitar work is good in this CD and it is just Tim Armstrong -not Lars.

What has Tim Armstrong done for punk??? Please mike try not to be any kind of close minded when discussing this please. But you know he did play in a somewhat influencial band by the name of Operation Ivy? Do you think Operation Ivy did anything for punk? For ska? Absolutely. Like I said before MORE SO THAN PEOPLE CAN IMAGINE. Or perhaps want to imagine. I truly think that is it people don't really want to believe it. Besides playing/writing with Operation Ivy he has had his hand in the music industry for punk since before a lot of people on this forum have been born.

Rancid has a bigger following than most bands playing music today. And they play punk band. Meaning what??? He doesn't do anything for punk???

Does he not co-own a record label signing only punk/ska/psychobilly bands???? In the past few years Tim has gotten more and more rights with Hellcat and now runs it HIMSELF.

Wait mike ... have you ever met Tim Armstrong? Ever talked to him ever? Have you ever seen Rancid live??
i haven't see them, or will i ever buy another record that they created, or even meet that **** stain ever in my life. hellcat records is a scorn on the punk scene. the record label sucks, as soon as bands sign to it, they also start to suck ie dropkick murphy's and the unseen. i have no respect for tim, don't preach this bull to me. i know who operation ivy is and they might have been a great band, and helped out their scene, but he doesn't no more. i don't care that he handels shitty ass hellcat records by himself, and that first record is a big batch of steaming pile of shit.
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Everyone knows:

Crimpshrine > Op Ivy > Rancid.

I think Rancid shoulda called it quits after their first LP... that was the last decent thing they put out.
The last great thing Rancid has done was And Out Come the Wolves. I'm not a huge fan of Rancid 2000 [even if its my avatar] and Indestructibe. Why? Like I said before I think it has to do with Tim Armstrong being sober in the past 6 years.

mike youre upset because you don't want to admit to yourself Tim Armstrong has done a lot for punk. EVEN IF YOU DON'T LIKE RANCID you have to admit that with their following he has turned a lot of peope onto punk. Just as much as other punk greats have. Meaning what? Yes he has done a lot for punk.

Tim Armstrong single handedly signed Dropkick. And Unseen. And every band on Hellcat. He didn't write Dropkicks music that was released on Hellcat. Thats not his fault completely that YOU DIDN'T LIKE their music after they got signed. Maybe he should have sent the CD back to Dropkick or Unseen and told them they can't release it like that. But what do you want? Tim Armstrong to sit and write every song for every Hellcat band? He doesn't do that. He may ghost write for a lot of Hellcat bands but ...

Unseen have always been a great band. Still are. Go to a show. Talk to Unseen. Tell them yourself how you feel. I guarantee you would never do that.
okay, tim is an asshole; and example of this is when he wouldn't release leftover crack's album cause of the title. shoot the kids at school. that is so punk rock, to censor someone. the band's god damn name is leftover crack, what did tim expect?!

to the other thing you said about rancid turning people onto punk, i say so what. alot of bands do that, if that is all that tim has done for punk, then we should also consider greenday punk, cause alot of people who listen to punk started by listening to greenday...

if i told them how i feel, they might just write another song, like so sick of you, maybe called we are sick of you mike.

i don't blame hellcat records for producing crappy cds, i just hate tim armstrong so much...
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Comparing Rancid and Green Day is like comparing elephants and weasels. Like I said before ... go to a Rancid show. Its a COMPLETELY different crowd than Green Day.

Tim Armstrong isn't even the best part about Rancid. Its mainly Matt Freeman. BUUT Rancid woudn't be anywhere without Tim. And it also wouldn't be anywhere without Matt.
Rancid doesn't do anything to bring punk down. You just don't know Rancid that well.

Do you know why he wouldn't let a title like that??? He owns a record label like Hellcat Records. A label like that has prestige and also an image[the second most important thing in music -but thats a different discussion all together] they literally CAN'T have a title like that. Besides Tim Armstrong also has to answer to Epitaph for that. In which they probably said no -not Tim Armstrong.
it was tim, read up on it. matt freeman is a good bassist, but he is not the best like you are making it out to be. like i said in another post, i can play like him. not that hard, just play really fast with a pick...woop dee frickin doo. i would actually say greenday and rancid have more in common then you think...
Quote by BrianApocalypse

I keep Rancid's first cd around because it's really fast and has good basslines. They're not that good.

And here's why a band's first album is usually better than subsequent releases:

You have your whole life to write your first cd. You only have a year to write your next, and it won't sound fresh anymore. It's the infamous sopohomore slump.

I garuntee a second Op Ivy album would've sucked.
Man. Rancid has so much material after their first CD that is great. I agree and I said this in one of my earlier posts I think their first CD is the best. BUT Rancid still has a lot of great songs after. Maybe not as good as far as the albums[maybe And Out Come the Wolves] may be but good songs. Hooligans, Timebomb it goes on bro.
The only way I'll buy Rancid's new CD is if they can get their ticket prices under 12 dollars.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Quote by mike2
ugh...it is okay...until tim starts to sing...then i got to turn it off....im sorry...it is horrible his vocals...

wow, mike2 i swear me and you are the only ones in here it seems that don't need a friggin' brick thrown at there head. man tim armstrongs vocals are horrible. as i said in a different thread, he sounds like the poppy happy version of henry rollins. lars fredirekon or whatever was a much better singer. matt freeman was also a better singer. rancid's first album is the only album i can listen to anymore without dying of this poppy ska punk crap with horrible vocals

P.S. lars fredirikson did NOT quit drugs, my friend saw him at a show, and he was pickin up on a14 year old girl and everyone told em to f**k off, and were callin him a tweaker and crap. everyone said he was this annoying idiot who wouldn't shut up and was acting like he was a well TWEAKER. bah im done ranting
Lars is off drugs and has been for 4 years. When was this?? I very much doubt he was high on anything. Maybe a drink?
Quote by whyvern
Everyone knows:

Crimpshrine > Op Ivy > Rancid.

I think Rancid shoulda called it quits after their first LP... that was the last decent thing they put out.

Had out come the wolves been single length, I would disagree.
^i wouldn't be so sure about that. he might have quit drugs, but i wouldn't be surprised if he was back on them. he is also notorious for visiting prostitutes in every city they hit. i do, however enjoy much of rancid's music, and i feel that tim's solo work is awesome, but don't expect their new album to sound anything like that. tim's solo work is basically the aggrolites with a guest singer/vocalist. it has a completely different vibe to it than any rancid music. as far as Hellcat records, i think they are a great label, and are signing many great ska and punk bands. i really like the heartattacks, as well as the slackers, and the aggrolites, along with many of the other bands on the lable.
Lars was probably drinking. I don't know if he would hit on a 14 year old girl. Lars could pretty much nail any girl at any show he wanted.

And Tim Armstrongs solo work is mostly him. He writes the song himself and tells the Aggrolites or whoever he is with how he wants it. He writes the guitar, lyrics, and tells the rest how he wants it. Its basically all him.

Where in California do you live freedumb?
Quote by TlM ARMSTRONG
Comparing Rancid and Green Day is like comparing elephants and weasels. Like I said before ... go to a Rancid show. Its a COMPLETELY different crowd than Green Day.

Tim Armstrong isn't even the best part about Rancid. Its mainly Matt Freeman. BUUT Rancid woudn't be anywhere without Tim. And it also wouldn't be anywhere without Matt.
Rancid doesn't do anything to bring punk down. You just don't know Rancid that well.

Do you know why he wouldn't let a title like that??? He owns a record label like Hellcat Records. A label like that has prestige and also an image[the second most important thing in music -but thats a different discussion all together] they literally CAN'T have a title like that. Besides Tim Armstrong also has to answer to Epitaph for that. In which they probably said no -not Tim Armstrong.

I saw Rancid last July in St Pete and their crowd I'd say was the best that I have been exposed to at a show. It was respectable overall.
Quote by freedumb
^i wouldn't be so sure about that. he might have quit drugs, but i wouldn't be surprised if he was back on them. he is also notorious for visiting prostitutes in every city they hit. i do, however enjoy much of rancid's music, and i feel that tim's solo work is awesome, but don't expect their new album to sound anything like that. tim's solo work is basically the aggrolites with a guest singer/vocalist. it has a completely different vibe to it than any rancid music. as far as Hellcat records, i think they are a great label, and are signing many great ska and punk bands. i really like the heartattacks, as well as the slackers, and the aggrolites, along with many of the other bands on the lable.

Yea man, that seems really true. Just take a look at Lars and the Bastards 2nd cd. You'll see a whole bunch of hot hookers in that album cover. That asian one was hot.
And for the record, Tims side project isn't as good as Lars. Tim is only good in Rancid only whereas Lars can do good anywhere else as evident by side projects.
The Bastards >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Transplants.
Oh man. Lars is the weakest part of Rancid. Still love the guy. But Rancid had a better album before he came. But he is needed for Rancid.

And you kinda have to understand the Transplants to appreciate them. Travis Barker performed well with them ESPECIALLY live. Live Travis was amazing with the Transpants. Rob has a lot of talent its just that Tim didn't try very much. Its still good if you take it how it is.
Yea I am not a fan of the transplants. Altho Rob I heard was in Red Hot Moon. I like that song a lot.
i'm not a fan of the transplants at all, when i was talking about tim's solo stuff i was reffering to the new "a poet's life" stuff. and i wasn't saying tim didn't write the music or anything, the aggrolites just have a different vibe i don't see rancid trying to pull off. the organ is a big part of their vibe, and the percussion is very distinctively roots reggaeish, where as rancid plays more british punk mixed with 2tone. I'm from Fremont, which is about twenty minutes out of oakland. YAY AREA YADDDDDDIMEAN?!?!?!

Oh, and Whyvern, the correct order would be: Crimpshrine=Operation Ivy> Rancid.
I don't give a shit how many people they've turned onto punk. They suck. And you CAN compare them to Green Day because they came from the same scene, at the same time, are all friends and they sound similar (east bay punk, like Fang, Crimpshrine, Fifteen and whatnot).

Rancid does in fact make punk worse because people that like them tend to develop a narrow view point of what punk is and those people think it's acceptable to charge more than 10 bucks for a show with three bands and have $500+ garuntees.

**** Rancid.

edit: Freedumb, Crimpshrine is much better than Op Ivy. Songwriting, consistency and everything. Plus they're not as played out.
never listened to crimshrine...
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Quote by whyvern
I don't give a shit how many people they've turned onto punk. They suck. And you CAN compare them to Green Day because they came from the same scene, at the same time, are all friends and they sound similar (east bay punk, like Fang, Crimpshrine, Fifteen and whatnot).

Rancid does in fact make punk worse because people that like them tend to develop a narrow view point of what punk is and those people think it's acceptable to charge more than 10 bucks for a show with three bands and have $500+ garuntees.

**** Rancid.

edit: Freedumb, Crimpshrine is much better than Op Ivy. Songwriting, consistency and everything. Plus they're not as played out.

I like Rancid and I have a clear perception of what punk is. I am not narrow minded at all either. I like many things outside of punk rock as well.
Quote by meltinjohn
I like Rancid and I have a clear perception of what punk is. I am not narrow minded at all either. I like many things outside of punk rock as well.

Congradulations. But your exception doesn't make up for the millions of hot-topic mall punks that think they're the shit.
Last edited by whyvern at Feb 25, 2007,
god, i those hot topic mall "punks" are annoying....
Quote by BrianApocalypse

How to make Rancid better:

Have Aaron Cometbus drum for them.

Have Matt Freeman sing and play bass.

Fire Lars Fredrickson

Have Tim never again touch that microphone.
^have jesse michaels sing...
Quote by BrianApocalypse

what tim armstrong is doing, is obviously trying to be like joe strummer. they both play poppy punk, joe strummer said he was "raw" and tim amrstrong said he was street punk. and rancis has that reagee ska pop punk crap. and now with the organs, (dont blast me i love the organ, i love blues so) but come on rancid is making pop punk ska reagee crap. and if you don't think tim amrstrong isn't pop punk just because he plays guitar with lots of distortion and he has a crappy voice, you need to get your head checked.

and yes, about making rancid better. i wouldn't fire fredirekson, i'd have matt and lars switch off, that'd be sweet. and yes i'd absolutley fire tim armstrong. i'd tell him to buy a nice suit, quit playing guitar, continue his crappy rap crap transplants with blink 182s drummer and a rapping skinhead and paul wall re-mixin there albums. (man tim armstrong is soooooo punk rock, or punx rawx) as you can tell i hate tim armstrong, and no he is not a poet, bob dylan is. and oh yeah rancid is the leading mallcore hot topic punk band, i mean, there friends with good charlette for cryin out loud.....
Page 1 of 2