I think it just explains stuff about the Bass. Like pickups, body woods, measurements, etc.
You don't need that book. You have US and all of UG. There's plenty of lessons here and if you're curious about something just make a thread and ask.
LSD

"Member #5 of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Pot Smokers Association. PM AK Guitarist to join."
^ I have the same thought. You'd be amazed at how much the people here know, as well as the detailed lessons you can find on the internet. However, I'm fairly sure Metaluptheass has a copy, so ask him if it works or not
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by Soul_Bassist
Is this book worth $39.99? Does it talk about theory and help you improve your technique?

Thanks

You can get it much cheaper through amazon btw. Its not worth 40 USD, but for $16.49, yes, its decent as an all around reference for those who are starting on bass. I have issues with their top ten list, but that axe has been ground elsewhere.
If you want scales, modes, and other such things I recommend Joel Di'Bartolo's Serious Electric Bass
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
for the price i got it for its pretty good. He doesn't put enough explination into modes though.

Plus the pics where he demonstrates playing positions are just creepy!
Quote by ak Gitaroo Man
You don't need that book. You have US and all of UG. There's plenty of lessons here and if you're curious about something just make a thread and ask.

power to the people!

(saying +1 in a cool way)
when im with you, there's nothing I wouldn't do, i just wanna be you're only one. im gasping out of straws, taken aback by what i saw that night before when we were all alone...
Quote by Dinkydaisy
^ I have the same thought. You'd be amazed at how much the people here know, as well as the detailed lessons you can find on the internet. However, I'm fairly sure Metaluptheass has a copy, so ask him if it works or not

It's a nice reference point on some stuff, but generally nothing too amazingly new.

However, the "Cheat sheet" with the scales on it and whatnot is a great little reminder.
haha
I have it, got it for like 18 bucks. I use it as a ictionary more than anything, but it's great. The cd that demonstrates all the stuff is great too. I even ended up learning sheet music basics from it. I recommend.
Yes, it is an excellent book and CD. It gives you a clear explanation of musical theory and how to put together bass runs. The above posts are correct: check it out at the public library to see if you like it, then if you do, buy it online for under 20 dollars new. Many book sites have it at a discount.
Last edited by smilebruce at Feb 24, 2007,
Thanks. And sorry I meant $39.99 AUD :p

EDIT: I found a cheaper copy for $24.99 and I found the Complete Idiot's Guide to Playing Bass Guitar, which do you think is better if you just want to learn better techniques, slapping/popping and theory?
Last edited by Soul_Bassist at Feb 25, 2007,
Bass Guitar for Dummies does not address slapping and popping except on one or two pages. In terms of plain musical theory, it is excellent. I do not know the other book, but can't believe the Dummies book could be bettered. Bruce