Hey dudes,
Ive got the oppertunity to buy an old 1986 Marshall 3520. I can't find any info about it on the net, but its 200 watts and comes with a marshall 1x15 cab. It has a sensitivity knob, treble and bass volumes, and a 7 band EQ. Its loud.

It will cost me £275 for the head and cab.

Is this a good idea?

Would my money be better spent on a new amp?

Thanks in advance,
Parker
Quote by andyd93
You sir, are correct.
Older amps should work just as well as a new amp with a service after you buy them and I can only suggest visiting the current owner before hand and give it a try.

At least then if there is something wrong you can turn it down and if its all good you can pick it up and go!
Ive given it a go, it sounds awesome. I was just concerned if it was a risk, as it is old, it might break down on me. Is that a high possibility?

EDIT: What do you think the ohm rating would be for the cab? i know the head is 4 ohms, but if the cabs 8 it will only be running on about 125 watts, if that. Anyone know?

Thanks,
Parker
Quote by andyd93
You sir, are correct.
Last edited by parker_muse at Feb 24, 2007,
Quote by parker_muse
Ive given it a go, it sounds awesome. I was just concerned if it was a risk, as it is old, it might break down on me. Is that a high possibility?

EDIT: What do you think the ohm rating would be for the cab? i know the head is 4 ohms, but if the cabs 8 it will only be running on about 125 watts, if that. Anyone know?

Thanks,
Parker

Good find, nice deal. Only thing to watch out for is some of the components used in it (the pots, specifically) are hard to find if they break.

As for the cab, I have no idea (do you know what model it is?), but knowing Marshall it is likely 8 ohms.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
^ cheers dude, ill get a used peavy cab to go with it, that would be a 200 watt marshall 1x15 peavey 2x10 stack. Im happy with that!
Quote by andyd93
You sir, are correct.
Last edited by parker_muse at Feb 24, 2007,
Go for it, nice find!
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
They have a 4x10 used peavey cab aswell... i think ill do the whole hog and get that.
Quote by andyd93
You sir, are correct.
Quote by parker_muse
They have a 4x10 used peavey cab aswell... i think ill do the whole hog and get that.

Good call! Damn, I wish I could find a deal on a Peavey 4x10

Let us know how it sounds once it's all set up.

Quote by MetalUpTheAss

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Yeah, i played it with a cheap bass which ive fallen in love with, so playable, and that sounded great. I think someone part exchanged there peavey setup. Theres a whole used rig in there. Tour 700 head, two 4x10 cabs, i would to get one for you and ship it (you pay me of course) but your in canada, so it would be just too much.
Quote by andyd93
You sir, are correct.
Wow, that's a damn nice setup, I wish I was closer. Probably for the best that I'm not, though. Poor university student syndrome, plus I just bought a new bass anyway
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

Yeah, that sucks. I might see how much a peavey head and 4x10 is before though, i can see its pretty new, so im not hoping for much.
Quote by andyd93
You sir, are correct.
Woahh, awesome deal.

I wouldnt worry too much about break downs. Marshall stuff is generally very well made. But like I said earlier, take it for a service when you can. Get everything checked over.

Sounds like an amazing rig, im insanely jealous and if you live anywhere near leicester I would love to have a go!
Gloucester, 2 hours drive!

Pssst, we own you at rugger:P
Quote by andyd93
You sir, are correct.