Hey, I recently got a Yamaha DW-15 and I love it. However, I would also like a guitar for fingerstyle...
I play alot of Classical, Nick Drake, Bert Jansch, Simon & Garfunkle etc..
I don't want a reletively expensive guitar.. one at about £300 - £350 (500 - 600USD?) I don't know what to buy.. I've seen some classical/folk style guitars in my price range and i don't know if either of them would cover both genres (i.e. classical and folk.)

I was thinking of this onehttp://www.tanglewoodguitars.co.uk/products/stockDetails.asp?cID=435&sID=1741 and was wondering if I could just put nylon strings on it.. And, in case you guessed I don't know much about acoustics

in advance!
Last edited by xX*Zeppelin*Xx at Feb 24, 2007,
No you can not put nylon strings on that. You will screw your truss rod because of the reduced tension, and possibly damage the neck. If you like nylons, get a guitar that was designed for them. That doesn't look like a bad fingerstyle guitar though.
Quote by which ones pink
No you can not put nylon strings on that. You will screw your truss rod because of the reduced tension, and possibly damage the neck. If you like nylons, get a guitar that was designed for them. That doesn't look like a bad fingerstyle guitar though.

Ah right, I knew you couldn't put steel strings on a guitar without a truss but I didn't think about vice versa lol I manily want the guitar for folk but I would also like it for classical... I dunno, I'll probably end up just getting a classical then!
If you've already got a Yamaha steel string, go for a classical guitar for fingerpicking.

Not only are nylon strings easier to fingerpick, but the necks of classical guitars are also wider giving your fingers more room. All in all, their a hell of a lot easier to fingerpick on.

I've got a Manuel Rodriguez C1M which is great for under £200 with a solid spruce top and laminated rosewood sides, although its only got a thin matte finish.
---------------------------------------------
This is the way the world ends;
not with a bang but a whimper
you definitely couldnt put nylon strings on that...get yourself a classical with 3 regular steel strings and 3 nylons...epiphones make good classical guitars.
One thing to consider. While one can play fingerstyle on any guitar, guitars w/the slightly wider 1 3/4" (at nut) neck width are considred preferable by many finger stylists.
Not many Guitar makers make this neck width these days. But possible considerations would be the Epiphone EF-500 Masterbuilt. Or look for a good used 70's vintage Epiphone FT series guitar.
In fact many of 1970's vintage Japanese builts have the 1 3/4"neck. Yamaha's, Ventura's etc.
And these older Japanese builts are pretty good guitars that can often be had pretty cheaply.
1/2 my brain tied behind my back, just to make it fair.
^ Yup, I got my 1971 Yamaha FG-150 for something ridiculous like £50 off ebay. I missed one a few days earlier that went for like £280...
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.