etc

Fixed,
MY gear
Vintage v100 les paul.
POS Ion strat
Vox ad50vt
15 watt practice amp
Ibanez rg570
Wouldn't this count as a VS. thread? It depends what style you are playing, if you want a really agressive punk sound then a pick can be useful.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I play both, it depends what I'm playing.

If it's eigth notes, I play with my fingers.

But if it gets faster, like triplets or even 16th notes, I use my pick.

And sometimes I just use a pick to get more volume.

I pretty much use picks only for speed and volume.
I use my fingers mostly, but when I use a pick when the song calls for it, such as when I need an aggressive attack, or I'm playing chords. There is no "right" way to play bass. It's all preference.
Indie-bassist stole my post.

Member of The Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jimmypage27 or me to join.
Founding Member of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club.
Member #11 of the UG RIP Cliff Burton Club
I've taken up finger picking lately, and it is much more effective in my eyes.
I don't use a pick, I've tried it, and just can't get into it. I play with my fingers, as close to the neck as I can get.
When crying don't help
You can't compose yourself
It's best to compose a poem
An honest verse of longing
Or a simple song of hope...
I was a mainly finger player, I started playing with a pick while learning to read and it really opens your eyes to other sounds you can coax out of your bass I would recommend at least trying both.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I was a mainly finger player, I started playing with a pick while learning to read and it really opens your eyes to other sounds you can coax out of your bass I would recommend at least trying both.

X2
Quote by jazz_rock_feel

X999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999.999
i personally play both, if its a repetive song, on teh same string same fret, ill jus get really bored so i play with a pick, but alot of the time i try to use my fingers, although my technique isnt very good.
Custom 4 String P/J-Bass
Zoom B2.1u
Ashdown Thomann Special Edition 180w
Ashdown Perfect 10 Combo

omg search, i'm pretty sure i've seen this thread 106376357370736860 times.
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
Depends on the sound I'm looking for
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
It's a matter of preference really. I feel that I have alot more control when using my fingers, but I also like the tone I get out of using a pick. And when you say bassists like Flea use their fingers you do kow that even he uses a pick sometimes? And I'm not saying thats a bad thing, hes one of my biggest influences
I prefer fingers, and look down on all bassists who play with a pick as scum, which is kinda harsh of me

I just can't help it though... 'Tis a bad habit I have
Quote by epy
omg search, i'm pretty sure i've seen this thread 106376357370736860 times.

Lighten up!

Quote by charlatan_001
*Reported*

This kind of thread should make the user auto IP-banned.

You too!
i usually try to play with my fingers as much as possible, unless its a song where you can tell the bassist uses a pick. but lately ive been working on anesthesia by metallica, and i know that cliff burton didnt use a pick, but im having trouble playing really low on the neck, and with alot of string changes with my fingers. but yea, anyway, back to the topic, i choose to use my fingers as much as possible, but i dont see anything wrong with using a pick
Last edited by fjaloser at Feb 24, 2007,
Quote by jazz_rock_feel

X999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999.999
Quote by indie-bassist
Wouldn't this count as a VS. thread? It depends what style you are playing, if you want a really agressive punk sound then a pick can be useful.

punk bassist use a pick cuz they suck....
finger sounds way more punk to me.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
^Yeah I'm gonna have to ask you to shut the hell up now ok?

Its true.
Punk bass players arent really that great.
Flea doesnt count :P
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Hey dumbass

MATT FREEMAN
JJ BURNELL
MIKE DIRNT
JESSE KEELER
MIKE WATT
KLAUS FLUORIDE

so you can shove the notion that punk bassists aren't good right up your ass

And while he was inspired by punk, Flea isn't a punk bassist.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Quote by mountaindew88

the reason why he doesnt count.....

Most punk bassists suck.
Better?

Oh yeah, you left out Fat Mike
Quote by brandooon
Last edited by Woogles at Feb 25, 2007,
Hey dumbass

MATT FREEMAN
JJ BURNELL
MIKE DIRNT
JESSE KEELER
MIKE WATT
KLAUS FLUORIDE

so you can shove the notion that punk bassists aren't good right up your ass

the reason why he doesnt count.....

Most punk bassists suck.
Better?

Oh yeah, you left out Fat Mike

Guys, guys this is the bass forum, we don't need to be abusive. Leave that for the pit.
Member of The Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jimmypage27 or me to join.
Founding Member of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club.
Member #11 of the UG RIP Cliff Burton Club
Come on guys lighten up a bit, not all punk bassist are crap, everybody stereotypes punk bassists to be like Sid Vicious and that's not the case.

Quote by jesusgonewrong
Guys, guys this is the bass forum, we don't need to be abusive. Leave that for the pit.

Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
what make mike dirnt so good?

I play in a punk band.I play with my fingers.I never liked playing with a pick.

Plus it doesn't look that good when you use a pick.I just looks really bad.
Quote by lol2theworld
I was about to diss kornflipsk8er, but then i realized hes an 03er and im an 09er.
I am inferior to him.

Quote by metalh3ad88
I am fairly certain that kornflipsk8er is GOD!!!11!!!!1!!
Well this is intresting, I'm learning math and Slamming! Anywho, I don't like the sounds picks make, I play faster with my fingers, and it has a fatter sound, picks are good for short articulant, but I can do that with my fingers just as good as with a pick.
Why do people use picks for triplets and sixteenth notes?? Alls it takes is some practice, and you'll develop really unique triplet technique. I play songs like Take No Prisoners with my fingers, and I been playing for less than six months.
Quote by Silent_Jester13
This is the biggest collection of ADD i've ever seen.
I like using my fingers for jamming or more laid back music..when it comes to playing punk and shit where the sound is more distorted and such using a pick brings out a louder volume and a sweet tone (when playing a fender bass atleast) Though I find using my fingers is way more comfortable when playing more complex basslines or walking basslines
Finger all the way. It gives so much more versatility in music. I used to play with a pick until my drummer's little brother just told me I was playing a 4 stringed guitar using a pick. I dropped the pick and have never looked back.
Self-Improvement is Masturbation
i think a pick is irrelevent
i use the finger nails to strike the strings on chords and fast songs
Quote by PunkFan99
picks are for losers TRUE bass players use fingers

Uh, not so little buddy. Its more of how you want your bass to sound. If want you want is the sound of a pick, that doesn't mean you "lose". It means you like a different tone. I prefer the finger tone but I can't fault people for wanting to do things with a pick if they do it right (unless its jazz, then they must cease and desist).
Ok, learn to use both, since they both have their uses and places.

And I love the Stranglers and JJ Burnell, but calling him a punk bassist is a bit limiting.

And punk has been predominately pick, with a few finger style bass players.
Page 1 of 2