Im looking to purchase my first acoustic guitar. I want to get into playing classical stuff but would also like to play non classical stuff. Whats the difference between a normal acoustic and a classical one? And if there is a difference can i play the classical one like a normal acoustic?
The acoustic guitar is more robust and has steel strings. Most people use a pick to play it, some use their fingers. It's used for rock, blues, country, folk, etc, but not exclusively.

The classical guitar is meant for use with nylon strings, it has a wider neck, and you play with your fingers. It's suited to, well, classical guitar songs. It's a classical instrument in the same sense as the violin or cello for instance.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
you can play it like a normal acoustic, i have. they really dont seem that much different to me except the nylon strings. i actually think their easier to play, because the strings have so much more action on classicals, but idk man, its your choice.
Nerdo-sez-bo wrote:

Bon Jovi can just **** off really.

Life is one big question when your starin at the clock
And the answers always waiting at the liquor store, 40 oz to Freedom
classical guitars have a much tangier type of sound when you use nylon strings....it sounds alot smoother...i like to use 3 steels and 3 nylons on mine.
^You put steel strings on a classical guitar? NOT a good idea. Or do you just mean it has wound basses? Cos all classical guitars do.
Quote by bluezy99
classical guitars have a much tangier type of sound when you use nylon strings....it sounds alot smoother...i like to use 3 steels and 3 nylons on mine.

you put steels on your classical?
that cant be good for your guitar.

edit: oh. nvm.
Last edited by §tratôcaster at Feb 24, 2007,