..to sound good? been pondering whether to get one (got my eye on a peavey 5150 combo) but ive read that they have to be cranked to sound good. now, I cant exactly have my amps up loud because of neibours, so how loud is loud? I have my current solid state randall amp om about 3 - 4 and thats about the loudest I can use it at, unless noone is in next door...

is there anyway to make a tube amp sound good at lower volumes?
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
Peaveys have a good rep for sounding good at low volumes. At bedroom levels, my 6505+ sounds really good... not as thick as when I crank it, but it still doesn't suck lol. I normally keep my presence knob on the lead channel between 9 and 10 tho... any lower than that and u gotta get it loud. Just play around with it. The 5150 combo will pwn any solid state combo you find, even at bedroom volumes so don't worry about that.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser (Black Cherry)
Peavey 6505 Plus Head: 120W all-tube goodness
Peavey 6505 4x12 Slant Cab
Tacoma Somethin-or-other Acoustic (i bought it used)
ah right I see, thats good then. btw i got another question if you dont mind, i know that the 6505 is the same as a 5150, but what is a 5150 II? is it much different to a standard 5150?
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
^+1
attenuators will give you powertube overdrive at low volumes. The tradeoff is you don't get the same speaker breakup and air movement you would get if all the power was getting to the speakers, which is a part of that "cranked sound". Some suck more tone than others depending on the brand, but units like the hotplate have adjustments to compensate.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
that sounds good, can anyone recommended any? I dont know anything about them, I dont even know what one looks like
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
Yeah, if what you're getting is a high preamp gain metal amp, it should sound pretty darn good at low volumes. Other amps rely more on powertube breakup for their tone, which means you would have to crank it more. An attenuator is a good solution in any case, though.
Quote by serbusfish
that sounds good, can anyone recommended any? I dont know anything about them, I dont even know what one looks like

Not the THD HotPlate or the Marshall Power Brake.
Check out tedweber.com. Their attenuators are the most tonally transparent, and affordable of the attenuators I've seen. Make sure you get the speaker motor models.
^I've heard that too, check out webers. Be prepared to spend a fair amount of money, though.
With the peavey high gainers, power tube saturation doesnt sound really all that great. The 5150 and Triple XXX and soforth rely mostly on preamp gain. With my 5150, the power tubes start to distort around 3 oclock, which is wayyyy loud. Earplug levels.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
Quote by serbusfish
ah right I see, thats good then. btw i got another question if you dont mind, i know that the 6505 is the same as a 5150, but what is a 5150 II? is it much different to a standard 5150?

5150 II is the equivalent to the 6505+. All you are getting is an extra tube in the clean channel (which actually clean sound a lot nicer and gives you more headroom, but it wont affect your lead channel at all).
Quote by De Amazing Blob
^I've heard that too, check out webers. Be prepared to spend a fair amount of money, though.

eh, not as much as you would for the HotPlate of the Marshall.

I think the thing with Peaveys is the higher gain ones rely more on preamp distortion, rather than power tube saturation, is that correct? If so, don't worry about the attenuator too much, because you don't need to run an amp at high volumes for preamp distortion.
Quote by forsaknazrael
eh, not as much as you would for the HotPlate of the Marshall.

I think the thing with Peaveys is the higher gain ones rely more on preamp distortion, rather than power tube saturation, is that correct? If so, don't worry about the attenuator too much, because you don't need to run an amp at high volumes for preamp distortion.

That would be correct. You might want to consider a noise gate too... the 5150/6505 gives a heck of a lot of feedback once u get past about 3 unless you stand like 30 ft away. The JSX head has a noise gate built in, but the tone is closer to the XXX (which isn't quite as good as the 6505 - in my opinion).
My JCM900 sounds absolutely delicious at anything around 5 or over, but it makes my stomach hurt standing by it, so I keep it around 3-4
High as tits
5150s sound worse with attenuator. No need. Volume won't be an issue. It will start sounding full once you hit 1 - 1.5 on the dial.
the higher a tube amps cranked, the better it sounds
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah no foreplay needed with a Blues Jr. she'll warm herself up.
yeah, you get all the tone from the preamp, way too much gain to really feel the poweramp breakup.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by forsaknazrael
eh, not as much as you would for the HotPlate or the Marshall.
I know, I just meant attenuators in general. And +1, don't get an attenuator for a Peavey.
Quote by electrik
5150s sound worse with attenuator. No need. Volume won't be an issue. It will start sounding full once you hit 1 - 1.5 on the dial.

yeah, I've heard that about the 5150 and attenuators from other owners too. The hotplate works excellent with my Cobra though.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
soo if was to get a 5150 II it would be fine for use at bedroom levels?
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
Quote by serbusfish

Peavey's specifically sound good at low volumes, but really, any tube amp will be fine for use at bedroom levels. You may not be getting the amp to sound it's absolute best, but it'll still be better than most SS stuff.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by serbusfish

Yup. No problem there at all.
Yeah, it'd sound great. It would still sound better cranked though, because the sound is that much huger (is that a word?...) and the bass will hit you in the chest.
Quote by Erock503
^+1
attenuators will give you powertube overdrive at low volumes. The tradeoff is you don't get the same speaker breakup and air movement you would get if all the power was getting to the speakers, which is a part of that "cranked sound". Some suck more tone than others depending on the brand, but units like the hotplate have adjustments to compensate.

To me, an attenuator is worthless on a high gain amplifier.

Something like a vintage marshall-esque amp they're absolutely gold, but on a mesa, peavey, ETC there is no point when you can get enough preamp distortion to use.

To be entirely honest if you're getting a 5150 combo or a half stack only to practice at bedroom levels you would be better off getting a decent solid state/modeling amp because they're much better at low volumes.

I'd rather practice with my SS combo than have my 5150 less than 1 every day.

Unless you're in a band or you have the opportunity to use your amp often I'd suggest buying something a bit more reasonable. Having a big tube amp is great but its not as fun as getting to use it
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
To me, an attenuator is worthless on a high gain amplifier.

Something like a vintage marshall-esque amp they're absolutely gold, but on a mesa, peavey, ETC there is no point when you can get enough preamp distortion to use.

yeah, I agree to a point, but I also use my amps for more than just metal. I like to play blues too, and honestly, that's my favorite sound out of a tube amp. I can push my clean channel right to the brink of overdrive with the volume, and there is nothing like the response you get with the powertubes right at saturation. My clean channel on the Cobra sounds kickass when it's driving the tubes right at that point of overdrive, where picking dynamics can make such a noticable difference. I guess it's preference too, when I'm trying to get a good metal tone, my amps sound better when they are pushing the powersection imo, rather than just preamp gain. I guess that varies from amp to amp too. Of course, I'm not talking about attenuating to tv volume, I really only use it to allow me to crank my amps, and still be bearable in a small house, about -8dB. It's by no means quiet enough for an apartment with neighbors that way, but it's great for recording and jamming.
amp clips
amp vids
I have my Peavey Classic 30 set between two and three.. and I think it sounds fantastic.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
I'd rather practice with my SS combo than have my 5150 less than 1 every day.

Then you are very dumb lol.