Poll: I am ...
Poll Options
View poll results: I am ...
... American and believe in evolution.
75 44%
... American and don't believe in evolution.
18 11%
... not American and believe in evolution.
70 41%
... not American and don't believe in evolution.
6 4%
Voters: 169.
Page 1 of 4
I recently read an article in a newspaper (it's in Norwegian, but here it is anyway) that said that only 40 % of Americans believe in evolution. That number sounds extremely low to me, so I'm interested in knowing whether or not it'll hold true here.
The less faster you pedal, the more slower you go.
Im canadian but I believe in both. existance and life created by a higher power(not neccesarly the jewish,muslim and christian god) and life went on from there.
I am and American and I do not believe in Evolution.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
I'm not American and I don't believe in evolution. It's not a bloody religion. It's a cold, hard, fact.
Last edited by smb at Feb 24, 2007,
I'm American and don't believe in evolution...Now I'm sure I could start a huge flame war of aethists Vs. me, but I'm tired as shit and don't feel like it. It's my opinion, and I'll keep it. I'm Texan and in the middle of the Bible belt if that says anything.
Oh, ya, I should probably mention that I'd like religion kept out of this.
I became an atheist after plugging elvolution into how life could be created.....So yea, I belioeve evolution created us and I know it createed other beings on the earth...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I highly doubt that it's only 40%. If it was only 40%, I would highly doubt that it would be a requirement for all public schools to teach it. Kids who don't learn about evolution are home-schooled.
T/S did you also know that most statistics are a joke? I think it may be close to the truth though.
Get off my lawn.
I think it's safe to say that the majority of the people that don't believe in evolution hail from the south. Which is a good chunk of the U.S.
Quote by Lisø

And yet it's a question hinting on religion...?
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Tell me when thy band shall return to mark a schedueled performance on my nearest venue's door!
Quoth teh Loomis, "Nevermore".

Member #9 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
Quote by Jakeylee111
And yet it's a question hinting on religion...?

He asked for your opinion on a scientific theory. Nothing else.
American, believe in evolution, and it will be much higher than 40% because, let's just say guitarists are different
I'm a rockstar without the skills, fame, or income.

Washington Redskins
Quote by Arthur Curry
He asked for your opinion on a scientific theory. Nothing else.

If you can't see how religion is going to be dragged into this you are a fool.
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Tell me when thy band shall return to mark a schedueled performance on my nearest venue's door!

Member #9 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
Quote by Lisø

yea that's not gonna happen! why else would one not believe in evolution except for religion principles? i'm american, and believe in evolution, i'm sick of people calling it the 'theory of evolution' cuz it's not a theory, it is a proven fact, if you don't agree you should go back to science class
Quote by Arthur Curry
I think it's safe to say that the majority of the people that don't believe in evolution hail from the south. Which is a good chunk of the U.S.

It's not safe to say that. Many southerners don't believe in evolution, and it's looked down upon.
Get off my lawn.
Quote by Jakeylee111
If you can't see how religion is going to be dragged into this you are a fool.

It CAN be. And will be. But it shouldn't be. Ya know?
Quote by HawkaLuigi
It's not safe to say that. Many southerners don't believe in evolution, and it's looked down upon.

I think that's what I just said.
Quote by Arthur Curry
I think that's what I just said.

Hmm...my brain is not working today.
Get off my lawn.
Quote by Arthur Curry
It CAN be. And will be. But it shouldn't be. Ya know?

True. Lets make up. *Hugz*
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Quote by cefasnacht
yea that's not gonna happen! why else would one not believe in evolution except for religion principles? i'm american, and believe in evolution, i'm sick of people calling it the 'theory of evolution' cuz it's not a theory, it is a proven fact, if you don't agree you should go back to science class

Actually, when scientist talk about a "theory", it's not the same thing as in every-day speech.

"In science, a theory is a mathematical description, a logical explanation, a verified hypothesis, or a proven model of the manner of interaction of a set of natural phenomena, capable of predicting future occurrences or observations of the same kind, and capable of being tested through experiment or otherwise falsified through empirical observation. It follows from this that for scientists "theory" and "fact" do not necessarily stand in opposition. For example, it is a fact that an apple dropped on earth has been observed to fall towards the center of the planet, and the theory which explains why the apple behaves so is the current theory of gravitation."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory
Quote by cefasnacht

Actually, it is a theory. The problem is that people in general don't know what a theory is, at least not in scientific context. I'll quote Wikipedia, since it's summed up quite ok there:

In scientific usage, a theory does not mean an unsubstantiated guess or hunch, as it can in everyday speech. A theory is a logically self-consistent model or framework for describing the behavior of a related set of natural or social phenomena. It originates from and/or is supported by experimental evidence (see scientific method). In this sense, a theory is a systematic and formalized expression of all previous observations that is predictive, logical and testable.
I'm kinda half half. The big bang theory is just a theory. Nobody really knows what happened in the beginning of the world, if God created it or there was nothingness and all of a sudden the big bang happened.

I kinda believe in both. I believe that God created the universe and it went on from there with evolution.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Grundy0
Wow 5 people dont believe in evolution!!!

You ain't seen nothing yet.

Not American and believe in evolution.

There already is a massive thread on this...
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Ha I think this is kind of funny. All the people who do believe in evolution bashing other theories...Now don't most of y'all say WE'RE the ones trying to shove beliefs down your throat? Now correct me if I'm wrong but saying I'm a "sheep" and "incapable of abstract thought" seems to constitute belief-shoving. Just saying, we don't bash your opinions, so don't bash ours. If you need to feed your confidence by putting others down I've just left myself completely open to flaming, have fun, I really couldn't care less what random members of a guitar tablature site think of someone they don't know.
Quote by Grundy0
Wow 5 people dont believe in evolution!!!

To me that actually seems high. Out of the thirty something posts, thats a pretty good size percentage... no 40%, but it's still quite high.
Quote by gibson_lover_ga
Ha I think this is kind of funny. All the people who do believe in evolution bashing other theories...Now don't most of y'all say WE'RE the ones trying to shove beliefs down your throat? Now correct me if I'm wrong but saying I'm a "sheep" and "incapable of abstract thought" seems to constitute belief-shoving. Just saying, we don't bash your opinions, so don't bash ours. If you need to feed your confidence by putting others down I've just left myself completely open to flaming, have fun, I really couldn't care less what random members of a guitar tablature site think of someone they don't know.

Notice the use of "ya'll". I'm assuming you're from the south.

This only further proves my theory!
Quote by mw7
I'm kinda half half. The big bang theory is just a theory. Nobody really knows what happened in the beginning of the world, if God created it or there was nothingness and all of a sudden the big bang happened.

I kinda believe in both. I believe that God created the universe and it went on from there with evolution.

The Big Bang theory, to my knowledge, isn't about the universe's origins, but what happened directly after its birth (or whatever was before it).
The South is generally less corrupted by large cities. Try to tell me I'm wrong when I say there is a lot more underage sex, drugs, crime and things of that sort in large cities rather than small towns.
im american, and i believe in evolution.

im taking an Anthropology course at University right now, and looking at all the evidence for evolution, i dont see how people can still deny it.
Page 1 of 4