When I first heard this song I didn't really listen to the lyrics. But recently I paid close attention to the lyrics and I was confused. Jimi, in the song, talks about hitting a person with his car.

Does anyone know if that really happened, and inspired him to write the song?
My obligatory gear list

Guitars
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson SG Special
1987 Fender Strat
Epiphone PR-150

Amp and Effects
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DD-6
Crybaby Wah-wah
Ibanez TS-9DX
Banshee 2 Talkbox

Crit plz! Wh ore of Gommorah
its a metaphor for....something
great song though
when im with you, there's nothing I wouldn't do, i just wanna be you're only one. im gasping out of straws, taken aback by what i saw that night before when we were all alone...
It's a metaphore for sexual intercourse.

"You jump infront of my "car" when you know all the time,90 MPH girl is the speed I drive".
Quote by distilledspirit
^If that's true it's a brilliant metaphor on Jimi's part.

"You tell me it's all right,you dont mind a little PAIN,you say you just want me to take you for a drive".

I guess that prooves it.
It's about Traffic's Dave Mason being unable to play the 12 string part in All Along the Watchtower.

....not really, but didn't someone make a thread about that?
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
im doing a report on jimi and actually the traffic guitarist, failed at playing the piano part at, all along the watchtower, so jimi abandoned it.
when im with you, there's nothing I wouldn't do, i just wanna be you're only one. im gasping out of straws, taken aback by what i saw that night before when we were all alone...
Quote by distilledspirit
^If that's true it's a brilliant metaphor on Jimi's part.

Ever since I heard it, I thought it was about sex, but brilliant metaphor? Come on, Robert Johnson's "Terraplane Blues" linked motorized vehciles and sex years before Hendrix.
"...And I'm pretty sure what you did to my children's snowman is illegal, if not, sodomy."
-Stephen Colbert: 'The Colbert Report'
Quote by BlueOyster23
Ever since I heard it, I thought it was about sex, but brilliant metaphor? Come on, Robert Johnson's "Terraplane Blues" linked motorized vehciles and sex years before Hendrix.

But back then they were wagons with motors.
The song is about women having a one night stands with Jimi and then expecting a relationship with him even though he obviously needs to leave for his next show.
Quote by Zero-Hartman

If I can't masturbate to childrens cartoons then this country isn't great.
Quote by psychodelia
It's about Traffic's Dave Mason being unable to play the 12 string part in All Along the Watchtower.

....not really, but didn't someone make a thread about that?

Dave's redemption song.

"Dave, we need someone singing pretty high on this song, so maybe if you clench your balls tight enough you can nail it. I'm sure you could at least do that, considering you couldn't play the 12-string."
"Tire tracks all across your back
I can see you had your fun"

"You tell me its alright, you dont mind a little pain
You say you just want me to take you for a ride"

"And Im tryin to get on the other side of town"

Anal sex, anyone?
I simply cannot take this god-awful place anymore. Goodbye to all the good people here. The rest can fuck off.

Quote by bigwillie
"Tire tracks all across your back
I can see you had your fun"

"You tell me its alright, you dont mind a little pain
You say you just want me to take you for a ride"

"And Im tryin to get on the other side of town"

Anal sex, anyone?

Possibly the funniest thing I've read on UG minus the Pit.
Cool.

My friend was actually telling me how his friend was on shrooms, and he thought he was being chased by a troll.

Quite funny from my perspective, but imagine being in that situation. Scary.
I always figured is was a metaphor for a girl not being able to keep up with the pace he lived life, she said he didn't mind at first, but now Jimi's realizing he can't keep up, but she won't leave him alone. Not saying that urs makes no sense.
Current Rig>>Jackson Phil Collin Signature Guitar/Ibanez Artcore>>>Modded Dunlop Crybaby>>>TS-9DXModded>>>Rat kit>>Octavia>>CE-20>>DD-7>>>Musicaman HD-120
Whatever it mean's, I'm sure it's a better message than Alice Cooper's "Under my Wheels"
Quote by BearWithAGun
I've only known one man to use such a gun, and I believe I've killed him two times
Quote by Quoteman
I always figured is was a metaphor for a girl not being able to keep up with the pace he lived life, she said he didn't mind at first, but now Jimi's realizing he can't keep up, but she won't leave him alone. Not saying that urs makes no sense.

That's basically what I was saying, but not in quite as much detail.

I simply implied he can't get rid of her.
Quote by IDigGoGoGirls
Naw, that was to the threadstarter. But kudos. Drugs are good.

I never touched drugs. But I was asking because sometimes I'll think certain songs have really deep metaphores (sp?) and just find out later that the song was about what the lyrics said, no metaphores. So sorry if i wasnt clear on that.
My obligatory gear list

Guitars
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson SG Special
1987 Fender Strat
Epiphone PR-150

Amp and Effects
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DD-6
Crybaby Wah-wah
Ibanez TS-9DX
Banshee 2 Talkbox