I am thinking about getting a new guitar primarily for slide playing so I wont have to keep retuning one of my others. I was just wondering what guitars UG thinks sound the best played with a slide. I have a standard tele that I use now and then, and I really like the sound of it, but I don't know if there is something better.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
I like the sound of an archtop with P-90's for slide, but acoustic slide is amazing.

It doesn't really matter. Personally, I would recommend you get another guitar for whatever other style you want (say you play metal, you would get an ESP) and use the tele for slide.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Its really up to you - if youre playing electric then the guitar's really a matter of personal preference. SGs are good (Derek Trucks and Duane Allman have both used them extensively) because they probably have the best access to the higher frets, but i play a strat for slide and i find it works perfectly well.
Les Pauls are a bit pricey, but from what I have heard they do sound great. Personally I just can't stand SG's, they play horribly. I think I'll take the first responses advice and just use the tele.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
For slide, it has to be a humbucker/P-90 (soap bar single coil) equipped guitar. Strats have the action for slide but I'd say the '61 Reissue SG is the best slide guitar because
(a) Duane Allman used one and (b) they have a really slim and flat neck, which is great for slide. The only thing is, it's not a good idea to raise the action on them too much, cos they have the flimsiest neck joint of the whole SG line.
Quote by Guitarjunkie18
Arch tops seem to be popular with slide. Try a Les Paul, or something like that.
nuff said
Quote by Joey Walker
Quote by anaoshak
look at all those knobs, he must have a mean tone.

Bottle caps buddy, they are bottle caps

Quote by Shib
The internet: Men are men, women are men and little girls are FBI agents.