What string gauge do you guys think will make a tele sound the most teleist.
Minister of Zeppelinism, PM TheHeartBreaker to join
#6 member of the oasis fan club
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
'89 fender american strat
Vox ad15vt
Peavey raptor plus EXP(bridge: alnico 2 pro)
yamaha f-310p
Quote by GuitarNinja12
20's

alright ill go buy some ASAP.
Minister of Zeppelinism, PM TheHeartBreaker to join
#6 member of the oasis fan club
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
'89 fender american strat
Vox ad15vt
Peavey raptor plus EXP(bridge: alnico 2 pro)
yamaha f-310p
Quote by The Iron Man
alright ill go buy some ASAP.

This is why I hate the net. I can't tell if you are serious or that is sarcasim. But anyways I persoanlly play with 9's on my tele. Gets me the lighter brighter twang sound I like from a tele.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
A wise (very rich) man once told me that Strats and Teles sound much better with larger string gauges.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by The Iron Man
What string gauge do you guys think will make a tele sound the most teleist.

Why this gauge of course...

... the favorite kind of strings west of the Missisippi to play twangy country music.

Eventually, if you goof too often, you get to learn to play the blues real quick.

Last edited by ColdGin at Feb 24, 2007,
Quote by FacingUsAll
A wise (very rich) man once told me that Strats and Teles sound much better with larger string gauges.

SRV?
I'm back, you douchebags.
there is no ideal string guage, its all personal preference
http://richmusic.dmusic.com

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."
Quote by One Way Ticket
SRV?

I've never been able to have a conversation with SRV, unfortunately, but yes he used a heavy string gauge.

Jim Adkins from Jimmy Eat World.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
ok seriously, the gauge/strings dont make much of a difference, unless theyre shitty strings.

on my strat i use 9's, but i guess it would work on a tele too.
Ideal would be huge because the sustain and tone would be really, really nice. But you can't play a set of 50's :-\
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
As heavy as possible. I'd use 12's on a tele to get a more rounded tone and more tone overall.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Quote by Muppet
As heavy as possible. I'd use 12's on a tele to get a more rounded tone and more tone overall.

DONT DO IT! Fender necks cant handle that much tension. True SRV played .13s but he didn't have a standard Fender neck either.
Sig What?
Quote by Arlabester
ok seriously, the gauge/strings dont make much of a difference, unless theyre shitty strings.

thanks but no thanks

and theres no reason on any modern electric with a truss rod not to use jazz string guages
Quote by darth awsome
DONT DO IT! Fender necks cant handle that much tension. True SRV played .13s but he didn't have a standard Fender neck either.

Just detune it, thats what SRV did. =/
Thats right. NEVER use heavy gauge in standart tune...first time i did it...TWANK!
It think tuning half step down should be okay
Quote by darth awsome

SRV used really heavy string gauges but he also tuned his Strat down a tone.
I play 9s. It still sounds like a tele.
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
9's for good tele sound, 11's for good tele feel
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by felixq78
SRV used really heavy string gauges but he also tuned his Strat down a tone.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH old thread was incredibly ****ing old.
Billy Gibbons uses a lot of telecaster style guitars and has said that he uses 8s. That seems awfully light for me but it depends on the amp and effects. I know Page used 9s and his sound is huge. String gauge makes a difference but so does how you attack the strings.