Are Marshall amps great for playing metal? If so which model? I was wondering because I see a lot of metal bands playing marshall amps and I 'm wondering how do they get that kind of sound out of a marshall amp? But sometimes I think marshall amps can be sometimes overrated, but theyre preety good amps. Here are some pics of metal bands using marshall amps

http://www.13t.org/public/muzike/imagenes/arch%20enemy%20metalway2006%2001.jpg

http://www.cryptopsy.net/lost/express/english.html

I want a marshall amp that is good for palying death metal, grindcore, some metalcore, also some melodic death metal too, mainly just a metal amp
^^

yes thay can do Metal...

try a JCM2000 DSL or TSL

but basically if you want 80's sound
then I'd suggest the JCM800...

EDIT: to TS
Well, those pictures feature Arch Enemy and obviously Cryptopsy. Cryptopsy uses Madison amps. Michael Amott of Arch Enemy is endorshed by Krank. I saw Arch Enemy live and during setup one of the cab fronts opened revealing an entire wall of empty "Marshall" cabs. Michael Amott uses Krank Revolution, not sure about the other guy though. I think a lot of bands just get some cash for using the Marshall name.

I wouldnt say Marshall is good for metal however. It is for some kinds of metal, but not all. Listen to Black Label Society. Zakk Wylde is a real user of Marshall and thats the sound that represents Marshall the best as far as metal goes. So yes they can do metal if thats the sound your after. However I would check out Mesa tripple recto, Peavey 6505, Rivera, Genz-Benz, Madison, and even some boutique amps for some various metal tones. Go try a bunch out...because in metal, the last thing you want is to sound like everyone else.

Your wondering ow they get that tone out of a Marshall because a lot of times they aren't using Marshall. Many people use Marshall cabs. Many people use other cabs inside of Marshall cabs just so they say Marshall on them. Trust me...your right, Marshall can be overrated. So look around.
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Soap-Bar Maple II
Paul Reed Smith Santana
ProCo Solo, H20 Liquid Chorus

Thrash will never die
yes, yes, ive noticed that a lot of bands like to use Marshall cabs and put black tape over the nameplate.
how did Marshall become a status icon anyways? they are the only brand i know that people would use to pretend they own it by sticking the nameplate on a different brand cab. bands even put tape over the name because they dont want people thinking they are using it because its "cool".
^^

because of The older greats...

like the:
Marshall Bluesbreaker
Marshall 1974x or Plexi
Quote by Crimson_Eve
Well, those pictures feature Arch Enemy and obviously Cryptopsy. Cryptopsy uses Madison amps. Michael Amott of Arch Enemy is endorshed by Krank. I saw Arch Enemy live and during setup one of the cab fronts opened revealing an entire wall of empty "Marshall" cabs. Michael Amott uses Krank Revolution, not sure about the other guy though. I think a lot of bands just get some cash for using the Marshall name.

I wouldnt say Marshall is good for metal however. It is for some kinds of metal, but not all. Listen to Black Label Society. Zakk Wylde is a real user of Marshall and thats the sound that represents Marshall the best as far as metal goes. So yes they can do metal if thats the sound your after. However I would check out Mesa tripple recto, Peavey 6505, Rivera, Genz-Benz, Madison, and even some boutique amps for some various metal tones. Go try a bunch out...because in metal, the last thing you want is to sound like everyone else.

Your wondering ow they get that tone out of a Marshall because a lot of times they aren't using Marshall. Many people use Marshall cabs. Many people use other cabs inside of Marshall cabs just so they say Marshall on them. Trust me...your right, Marshall can be overrated. So look around.

i agree with this. i just bought a jcm9000 and its great for metallica, acdc, zep tones etc but not death metal or new metalcore. im thinking of selling it on and getting a 5150.
JCM800 cranked plus a booster or an OD pedal.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I don't think you'll get a metalcore tone, but i don't know what that is, so it's possible but unlikely.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Trivium use Marshall DSL's
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Trivium plays 80's style metal. Not the modern over the top sound. You want either a Mesa recto or a bogner uberschall. No marshall produces gain like those amps do.
^Trivium sounds modern IMO. And their DSL is modded.
Threadstarter might want to consider something that sounds like a hot-rodded Marshalls.

EDIT: maybe those bands use Marshall in conjuction with their main amps.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Ubershall404
Trivium plays 80's style metal. Not the modern over the top sound. You want either a Mesa recto or a bogner uberschall. No marshall produces gain like those amps do.

well now they do because the new marshall jvm is meant to sound pretty high gain and modern like alot of amps from these other modern amp makes now. so check that out if you can.
Trivium actually now use Mesa Dual Rectifiers! and switched back to EMGs

All I can say is LAWL!
Quote by woodenbandman
I don't think you'll get a metalcore tone, but i don't know what that is, so it's possible but unlikely.

Metalcore is the style of hardcore to grow from 'crossover thrash'. Basically it's NYHC breakdowns + metal riffs, and then all sorts of stuff developing out of that basic idea.

You can get good tough guy hardcore, old school hardcore, old school thrash, emo (real emo, no MTV whinecore), powerviolence, crust, UK82, Norwegian-style black metal and Earth Crisis or Hatebreed type sounds out of a Marshall.

For newer thrash, death metal, Converge type metalcore, His Hero Is Gone type crust, grind like Pig Destroyer, 'scenegrind/fauxgrind' like Job For A Cowboy or other more distorted stuff you might want to look at other brands, Mesa might have something you like.
Last edited by STABxYOU at Feb 24, 2007,
Quote by Tarzan_man

All I can say is LAWL!

Since when?
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
If you like the Marshall tone, you might want to look at a Splawn if it's in your budget. Their basically hot-rodded Marshalls with more gain and more balls. In general, though, I wouldn't recommend a Marshall for metal.
^You guys confuse me...
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Oh, my bad.
Yeah, I don't think they would WANT to switch to Mesas and EMGs... They rather seem to be enjoying their crappy Razorbacks.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Marshall amps aren't made for super heavy metal. Black Label Society is about as heavy as they get. Marshall Amps aren't high gain amps, their best amps are the JCM 800 and the Plexi's, and that is what they became known for. Plexi's of AC/DC and Zeppelin. and the JCM 800's of Van Halen and Guns N' Roses Appetite for Destruction.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Joe Perry Boneyard (BKP Black Dogs)
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Supro Thunderbolt!
Quote by VRGNR08
...and the JCM 800's of Van Halen and Guns N' Roses Appetite for Destruction.

More importantly, every first wave emo band worth mentioning(you know, the ones from 1984-1992) and just about every 80s hardcore punk band.
Quote by aznrockerdude
Oh, my bad.
Yeah, I don't think they would WANT to switch to Mesas and EMGs... They rather seem to be enjoying their crappy Razorbacks.

They are happy with their razor backs. He sais EMG not ESP. And I wouldnt call Dean a bad guitar by any standard. Either way...

And Trivium "sounds" modern because yes....they have a more modern tonebut they are still based in 80's metal. Its the riffs that are modern.
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Santana

Thrash will never die
^People complain about Razorbacks' prices and quality. Makes me not want to get one in years, if not at all. The Evo series are good though.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by Tarzan_man

All I can say is LAWL!

aaaand your source for this is where may i ask?....
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Trivium's site is currently saying they use Marshall DSL2000....no Mesa.
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Santana

Thrash will never die
Pictures from the Tour, Just go the Trivium thread on this site or trivium's own forums. They also now use Decimators

+1 respect points

Even it was their techs that picked them.
^I knew about the decimators, but Mesas?!
Gimme the link.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by Tarzan_man

All I can say is LAWL!

When the hell did that happen?
Quote by Tarzan_man
Pictures from the Tour, Just go the Trivium thread on this site or trivium's own forums. They also now use Decimators

+1 respect points

Even it was their techs that picked them.

Matt always used a Decimator pedal...

(Sorry for the double post)
I hate trivium but I know for a fact they are using dual recs live at the moment. I saw a thread over at HC which had a bunch of photos of artists live rig settings. Trivium's were included and they were dual recs.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
Quote by joining_heads
I hate trivium but I know for a fact they are using dual recs live at the moment. I saw a thread over at HC which had a bunch of photos of artists live rig settings. Trivium's were included and they were dual recs.

Can you provide a link to that threadd on HC please? I would like to see...
yeah please post a link

if Trivium's new album has mesa dual rects *drool* zomg
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

check out a VHT. they're "Metal" enough if you ask me.. but im pretty sure a marshall dsl or a cranked up jcm800 can do any metal job out there if you want it to, considering Marshalls were basically the birth of the metal age