I was talking to a friend about Justin Timberlake, and asked him why he didnt like his new song. His reply was simply: "Its too mainstream."

Are there many people like this (wont listen to a type of music because of the genre) on UG? Im sure there will be plenty in the Metal/Punk/Whatever Forum, but how about in the Pit?

And how do you define "Mainstream"? Is it just when it sounds poppy, and lots of people like it?

For the record, JTs new song is ace
I was [50 CENT] in duh cluuuuuuub [/50 CENT] once and JT's Futuresex/Lovesound song was on, and I quite liked it.

I generally tend not to like chart stuff, but that's more because it's bad rap or boyband/girlband type music, nothing to do with how mainstream it is.
I just listen to whatever I like, and don't worry about if its popular of mainstream. It doesn't matter.
It depends, I've liked Metallica from Kill em' All to Reload and S&M (St. Anger sucked...) and they were considered mainstream for a while. But as for Greenday, Slipknot, and all of them, no. Too mainstream. I consider it mainstream when the artist(s) stop playing how they want to play and gradually bend towards what all the posuer preteens want. It's a sad day when a good band goes mainstream.
I listen to music. Good music. I don't really give a shit about genres or how mainstream it is.
I'll listen to anything that I enjoy, but I'll admit I won't readily tell people about it. That's not to say I deny it, but I don't stnad up and yell about my slight Fall Out Boy addiction.

Also, if it's not within my normal genres, I usually won't go looking for it, as in, I won't say, "Hey I think I'll go look for a cool pop song." But if it comes to me and I enjoy it I'll definitly listen to it.
Quote by soccermom
Of course eating unbelievable amounts of anything can probably harm you, but i chose bananas because they look like willies.
Quote by gibson_lover_ga
It depends, I've liked Metallica from Kill em' All to Reload and S&M (St. Anger sucked...) and they were considered mainstream for a while. But as for Greenday, Slipknot, and all of them, no. Too mainstream. I consider it mainstream when the artist(s) stop playing how they want to play and gradually bend towards what all the posuer preteens want. It's a sad day when a good band goes mainstream.

But how do you know what the artists "want to play"? Evolution is the natural process of a band, otherwise theyd just be recycling the same material over and over.
Quote by Heascase
I listen to music. Good music. I don't really give a shit about genres or how mainstream it is.

+1. this man has my opinions
Meh, I listen to each song for what it is, not what genre it is. I happen to really like JT's new album, got some great songs on there. You people ever wondered that a lot of mainstream songs might be getting in the charts because they're good?
I don't care how popular good music is, but I don't listen to the majority of mainstream music because I find it terribly boring, save for a few bands.
i used to like eminem, while loving rock. i find him better than the rest of the 'gangstas', cause he has more empasis on things that really matter, rahter than how much 'bling' he had. i listened to the songs that generally didnt get to the radio.
I listen to lots of mainstream indie/pop stuff
eg, the fratellis, the view, feeling, scissor sisters, kaiser chiefs etc etc
nothing wrong with it in my opinion
I dont like most mainstream music because it seems way too fake. When I say fake, I mean the songs dont sound like they were made because thats what the artist felt, its what their record company wants them to play, and they'll do whatever it takes to make them money. The "depth" so to speak I like in music just doesnt seem to be there in most popular music these days.
its weird bt wen a band (like MCR) went all mainstream (W2TBP) i just stop liking them without choice like i dont like mainstram stuff not beacause its mainstream but because most of the time it sounds shit. I still do like slipknot bt greenday aswell i like their older stuff much more.
Quote by umop-3p!sdn

For the record, JTs new song is ace

Kill yourself.

I don't hate him because he's mainstream, I hate him because he's a ****ing pussy ass wigger.
Dickless.
Quote by Devon_555
I dont like most mainstream music because it seems way too fake. When I say fake, I mean the songs dont sound like they were made because thats what the artist felt, its what their record company wants them to play, and they'll do whatever it takes to make them money. The "depth" so to speak I like in music just doesnt seem to be there in most popular music these days.

+1..listen to some paris hilton for example...

but we have no right to generalize this idea around mainstream music. it's not all that.
Quote by Tom Martin
You people ever wondered that a lot of mainstream songs might be getting in the charts because they're good?

The Pussycat Dolls, Crazy Frog, Lil John, Evanescence, Fallout Boy, write good songs?

Last good stuff I heard on the charts was Gnarls Barkley's singles. And NIN's With Teeth singles, the Peppers, Nas' Hip Hop is Dead... yeah.

I listen to what I like. I happen to not like mainstream because I don't like it, not because it's mainstream.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Quote by raise_the_dead
The Pussycat Dolls, Crazy Frog, Lil John, Evanescence, Fallout Boy, write good songs?

Last good stuff I heard on the charts was Gnarls Barkley's singles.

I listen to what I like. I happen to not like mainstream because I don't like it, not because it's mainstream.

I saw Gnarls Barkley open for RHCP, it was disgousting. Do not try and stick up for him because you heard Crazy, which was okay.
A Seven Nation army couldn't hold me back.
I listen to mainstream bands if I like how they sound, it's that simple.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
Quote by chillininfl
I saw Gnarls Barkley open for RHCP, it was disgousting. Do not try and stick up for him because you heard Crazy, which was okay.

Them.

Crazy was the best song in the charts last year (not saying much but still) it's a killer. Smiley Face is great too, and I think that St Elsewhere is probably a decent, if not great album.

Plus, they are pretty darn original. How many mainstream groups do you know of that dressed as droogs for a photoshoot?
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Quote by raise_the_dead

Yes, I think they do. Well, not Crazy Frog, that sold merely because of a fad. Nobody over the age of 12 bought that - thats the exception. And I imagine The Pussycat Dolls don't write their own material, but whoever does has written some very well written, catchy songs. I can't speak for Lil John, I've never heard any of his stuff.

And with Evanescence and Fallout Boy, you really picked two wrong ones. Especially the latter. Stump from FoB is one of the best songwriters to emerge in the last few years. If you actually listen to the lyrics, the composition, arrangement etc... their songs are brilliant. The melodies are great, very memorable and catchy. I'm willing to bet you haven't heard 'Sugar, We're Going Down' in a while, but I bet you could hum/sing the melody. Just because they write their songs aimed at a younger, more impressionably targer audience (which I'd like to point out I am not one... I'm 19 and studying music at university), doesn't make them any less credible. Brilliant song writers, brilliant band. Don't like 'em? Fair enough. But don't say that they can't write good songs. Prick.
Not liking music just because ti is mainstream seem a bit silly. Obviously if someone is not a fan of mainstream at the moment then fair enough.