Poll: 2 or 3 fingers when plucking the strings
Poll Options
View poll results: 2 or 3 fingers when plucking the strings
122 65%
66 35%
Voters: 188.
Page 1 of 3
so lately i've been looking around and lately i've noticed that lots of people only play with 2 fingers and you rarely see a person who plucks the strings with 3. i personally am trying to learn 3 fingers (hard if you've played 2 all your life) but i just wondered how many people play with 2 or 3 fingers.
I prefer two, although I do use all of them and thumb for different sounds. It depends on the song.
I use a pick
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
I play two fingers almost all the time, I use a pick here and there, then I use three fingers rarely, but that's because I suck at it. It's good that you're trying to master it though.
4 fingers FTW!!

Actually I use a pick 'cause I'm primarily a guitarist and the transition is a lot easier that way, but the bassist in my band uses 3 and is trying to learn 4.
ok how the hell do you use 4 i mean when plucking the string its hard to use four i'm not including the thumb
just started using three in regular playing but i use four and five in special situations eh?
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
The Special Ed kid of the bass militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join

Quote by fourstringpunk
She looks like an STD vending machine.
Quote by civildp1
I use a pick

Nothing wrong with that. As long as it gives you the sound you like...
Two is most comfortable to me, so I use it on the slower stuff, if I need to kick up the speed then I throw in the third. So it really depends on the situation.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
slap=5 right?
when im with you, there's nothing I wouldn't do, i just wanna be you're only one. im gasping out of straws, taken aback by what i saw that night before when we were all alone...
I sometimes like playing in a guitar style finger-picking so I either use the whole of my right hand or just two fingers for everything else, it's quick enough for me.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
I always use three. I can do straight and triplet rythms just fine at any speed so I never switch to any different numbers of fingers and I don't like the sound of a pick.
Bass is my life.
Personally I use both two and 3, but i voted for 3. A lot of the stuff I play has some faster triplets involved, and using 3 fingers made it much easier for me. It really just depends on the song. It's good to be versatile. It's funny that I say that though, because using a pick is a real challenge for me. I'm terrible with one.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
I use 2 more often.
Member of The Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jimmypage27 or me to join.
Founding Member of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club.
Member #11 of the UG RIP Cliff Burton Club
Im using both two, three, and four if needed, and also a pick (rarely) , and one finger sometimes for the realllly slow stuff.

So that preety much covers all options
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Mainly 2 fingers, but if I need to do the same note 3 times really quick, I use 3.
I use 2. For my style of music, there's really no need for 3 fingers unless I just really want to learn it.
Quote by X Alkaline 3
I dared a Jew to throw rocks at Hitler when he was a young boy..

Never knew he'd take it to heart like that.

iScrobbler

Psalms 62:8
Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.
I have no problem playing at speed with 2 fingers. This is probably because I always drum these fingers on a surface absent-mindedly, whenever I'm not really concentrating on anything. Certain shapes force me to use 3 fingers though; I'm pretty abysmal at navigating between strings without hitting every other string.

So yeah, I voted 2.
derp
lol u have faggot in ur username

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Everything I say is to be taken as serious fucking business.
Two and sometime a pick. I am still trying to practice with three, not quite there yet.
In general two, as I can play at speed really well and do the same as Rory ^^ all the time.

I use three sometimes, but I'm pretty shit at it, and find everything easier with two.
I usually use two fingers, but I do use three on occasion. I'm trying to train myself to use all 5 fingers.
i use 3 fingers for plucking, its weird to get at first, and i cant say i'm a pro at it, but i force myself to use em and then it becomes kind of natural.
I'm assuming the thumb doesn't count as a third in the context of this poll so I voted 2.
i'm using 3 more often than i used to. if you weren't for the trooper by iron maiden i'd wouldn't be as far with my ring finger as i am. great endurance training there. I do use two when the song is really easy just because it's so natural but if there's a lot of string switching or fast notes three is where it's at.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
dude......two is so much faster than any other fingers.

If its faster u need to work on using 2 fingers.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
I use as few as absolutely necessary. I usually Jamerson it with one finger or go to two for faster stuff. not to brag, but I'm pretty fast with two fingers, so I very seldom use three.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
I've been playing for about fourteen months, and I've always used two fingers. I started using a pick a few months in, but still focus on my fingers. I've recently been trying to learn three though, but it's difficult. I've got enough speed in just the two however, so I'm okay with it.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
I've been playing for about fourteen months, and I've always used two fingers. I started using a pick a few months in, but still focus on my fingers. I've recently been trying to learn three though, but it's difficult. I've got enough speed in just the two however, so I'm okay with it.

I can use 3 but I find maintaining the speed abit difficult, pm if you have any tips for maintaining the speed (When ya learn it).
Member of The Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jimmypage27 or me to join.
Founding Member of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club.
Member #11 of the UG RIP Cliff Burton Club
Although I think it is more natural to use two, after watching those Billy Sheehan tutorial videos on YouTube, he inspired me to use three and I sat down and practiced for like three hours trying to plkay semiquavers quickly and playing only two notes per string and then moving up a string or two or whatever and I've concluded three is much better.

Not to mention it looks cooler.

But I would rate a bassist who uses three fingers more highly than one that uses two because using two is very easy but to use three and be perfectly in time and never make a mistake takes a lot of hard work and practice, and skill :P:
I definetly use two more often although sometimes i do throw in the third finger to mix it up a little. At the moment i'm trying to master the three finger gallop but finding it very challenging
signature
I say 3. It's a lot faster and a you can get those triplets if you're playing metal (I know it's a very generic sound but you have to be able to do it). I find it easier to cross strings with three fingers too, don't know why.
slammed my penis in the toilet seat when I was 7-8yrs old,when I tried to run away,it got caught and stretched out, now it is huge,and I have the good ol shxtter to thank

Member of the Anti-Hotpunksk8rgirl club. PM X Alkaline 3 to join
Since I started i have used 2, but I'm trying to learn three at the moment, it does help in some situation but in others, using 2 is much easier
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by Greenday389
I always use three. I can do straight and triplet rythms just fine at any speed so I never switch to any different numbers of fingers and I don't like the sound of a pick.

same here
Quote by lol2theworld
I was about to diss kornflipsk8er, but then i realized hes an 03er and im an 09er.
I am inferior to him.

Quote by metalh3ad88
I am fairly certain that kornflipsk8er is GOD!!!11!!!!1!!
Quote by Woogles
dude......two is so much faster than any other fingers.

If its faster u need to work on using 2 fingers.

I agree with that. Although three does reduce the amount of stamina you need
Pends on what I'm playing. I mostly use two, but in some walking lines when triplet jump out and hit you in the face, I use a quick 3 finger. Or in slap and pop, I use two fingers+thumb. Yes, I AM like that. And in other styles I've ventured in the realm of 4, but have came out empty handed so many times.
Page 1 of 3