Alright, jazz guys know what I'm talking about. Minor 7 to dominate 7 then major 7. I'm just so used to playing jazz charts w/ 2 5 1's in a bossa or swing feel. I think putting them into a rock/ metal song tastefully could be pretty cool. possibly

Sweet thread.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I've heard 2,5,1 progressions more in blues songs but never in a rock or metal song. It could sound good if you do it right.
Quote by FacingUsAll

Sweet thread.

Shows how much kids on this site really know about music.
Quote by Ubershall404
Alright, jazz guys know what I'm talking about. Minor 7 to dominate 7 then major 7. I'm just so used to playing jazz charts w/ 2 5 1's in a bossa or swing feel. I think putting them into a rock/ metal song tastefully could be pretty cool. possibly

Watch out, he's gonna play a DOMINATE 7!
Good luck trying to play it in a metal context. 7th chords are going to sound insanely discordant with distortion. You could try it by doing an arpeggiated riff though.
Quote by Ubershall404
Shows how much kids on this site really know about music.

A) I'm not a kid.

B) I am fully aware of what he's talking about.

C) This thread has no point; which is what the "Sweet Thread" was in reference too. He didn't ask a question or anything.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
i never really hear a whole lot of seventh chords in rock. might work though.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
True, but they (7th's) are pretty prominent in blues and blues-rock. Cream, if I'm not mistaken used a bunch, as well as The Bluesbreakers. Maybe it was just Clapton, but they are used pretty commonly in blues, and blues is the root of rock.
pretty sure there's some sabbath with seventh chords but i can't think at all right now
yeah, but the heavier you go, like metal, the less blues you see- a whole lot of metal songs barely have a chord progression.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
The dude from STP sneaks Major 7ths and 7ths in all over the place. So did Randy Rhodes. And the used pretty thick distortion, Marshalls and MXRs respectfully.

Not to mention Jerry Cantrell from AICs and his tone is driven by MESA.

It is possible to lay in some really nice, extended chords with distortion. You just have to have a really nice, articulate distortion.

cl
Quote by Tom Martin
Watch out, he's gonna play a DOMINATE 7!

Don't be such an ass. Anyways, I'm not sure how that would sound, but who knows, I've heard a few guys use jazz stuff in metal so go for it. Seventh power chords sound bad ass.
My Youtube Vids

"Be formless... shapeless like water.

If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle.

Water can flow, and it can crash....Be water, my friend..." - Bruce Lee