Ok, thanks to my multi-fx and watching the Black Keys play live, I have discovered the joys of fuzz. It makes sense really, as I like a fair bit of gain but I play older-style stuff.

Anyway, I need a fuzz pedal that can do hendrix-stlyle stuff, smooth sustaining leads and also a thick wolfmother-style distortion for chords.

I've been thinking a Big Muff, but suggestions are welcome.

I am in the UK, and nothing too pricey.

P.S, I know John of RHCP uses a Big Muff and DS-2, but which of these is his lead sound (stadium arcadium) based on?
Big muffs give really great distortion/sustain and with the tone at about 9o'clock and the sustain about 3o'clock you can get a really thick chunky distortion. I'm not sure what John uses for most of his solos but on the dani cali solo he uses the big muff.
POST FINDER
Big Muff is awesome. My favorite fuzz, easily. Hendrix used an Arbeiter Fuzz Face, which are out of production now, althought there are many clones, like a Dunlop one.

John used a Big Muff for a few of his distorted solos. "Dani California" and "Tell Me Baby" solos were both played with muffs.
Quote by sashki
Big Muff is awesome. My favorite fuzz, easily. Hendrix used an Arbeiter Fuzz Face, which are out of production now, althought there are many clones, like a Dunlop one.

John used a Big Muff for a few of his distorted solos. "Dani California" and "Tell Me Baby" solos were both played with muffs.

I've heard the Fuzz-Face reissues are pretty bad... I'l try and get a look at the Big Muff then. Any other fuzzes I might want to consider?
Big Muff all the way, I use it for Wolfmother (great taste man!) and Fru Fru stuff.
I use my Fuzz Face for Hendrix, but the Muff can be used for that.

And screw whatever else you said, I wanna talk about the film, it's brilliant isn't it? I laughed so much.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by R_H_C_P
Big Muff all the way, I use it for Wolfmother (great taste man!) and Fru Fru stuff.
I use my Fuzz Face for Hendrix, but the Muff can be used for that.

And screw whatever else you said, I wanna talk about the film, it's brilliant isn't it? I laughed so much.

Haha yeah I was getting worried cos no-one else had picked up on the reference

I just love the bit where he drop kicks that old woman in the head...
^Haha! It's so funny, it made me wanna' watch Shaun of the Dead, so I watched it last night, and had a dream that zombies were chasing me.
Yea...
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by sam i am
I'm yet to watch shaun of the dead actually, I although I've wanted to watch it for ages...

You're missing out!
There's quite a few of the same actors in it, and a few running jokes, like the cornetto from the shop haha.
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by kitfoo
Boss has the FZ-2 & 3, but they're not made anymore. You can usually find them on Ebay. However, they just released the FZ-5. It should be out pretty soon.

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM07/Content/Boss/PR/Boss-FZ-5.html

Psh, I dont think much of them, I've seen a demo of it in that NAMM video.

And its £70-odd for some COSM thing when the big muff is ony 50...

EDIT: Too RHCP- yeah I've been meaning to watch it for ages...
I'd go the route of Big Muff, but also That_Pink_Queen makes a reissue fuzz-face, as well as a harsher sillicon fuzz. It should cost about 90 american dollars, but you can't beat a good handwired pedal. Stay away from the DS-2. Boss is known for crappy pedals in the distortion channel. Their modulation kicks ass, though.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
The Big Muff is a classic. Perfect for Wolfmother, who sound more 70's than any band from the 70's.

Gotta tell you, though, that I recently picked up a ZVex Fuzz Factory, and I absolutely love the thing. It can be a little tricky to dial in (I downloaded the demo video for reference), but the variation of fuzz that comes out of the thing is amazing. It sounds vintage without trying to copy anything. It's got that whole germanium transistor thing going on.

It's a little pricey, but the Vexter version can be had on eBay for around $150.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
my DS-2 is good, but a big muff is probably better. to the threadstarter i'd say get a big muff, im gonna try to get one after my next amp.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by sam i am
I'm yet to watch shaun of the dead actually, I although I've wanted to watch it for ages...

it's an absoloute classic !
POST FINDER