if you guys have listened to jrock, jpop, jhip hop, all that kind of stuff including some other cultures such as filipino, korean, and chinese - they sound a little different from the western music.

they use different scales right? what else do they do? i know a sufficient amount of music theory (or maybe not sufficient) but i'm still trying to distinguish the real difference between the two styles of asian music and western music.

i'm also trying to compose with more influence of the asian stuff. because i'm asian myself. yes.

what do you guys think?
[img]http://www.boajjang.com/gallery/albums/sigs/2_G.jpg]BOA ![/img]
hmm hard to say..they always have a more poppy or happyish feel to me..more jazz theory in theirs then anything i think.
I am Cool Thanks for listening.
it's because chinese culture and eastern music uses a whole different system of music that we do. We have 12 notes, they had 32. So, when playing 12 note music, I bet some of the older eastern music comes in.

listen to the band Najma, probably the best rock music in a 32 note system ever.
eastern music doesnt have chords either and uses a single note drone
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
32 notes? how do they sound. I thought it only existed 12. What do they have?
I meen do they have the note I J K L M? I wonder what they sound like. Man guess if i'm surprised. Sorry to go off topic but this is some crazy shit for me.
Quote by Eggmond
eastern music doesnt have chords either and uses a single note drone

traditional eastern music doesn't have chords. their pop uses harmony like our western music.
i think asian pop isnt too different.

hey if you want a 'asian feel', use the major pentatonic lol. (if you have a piano, try using just black keys and you will come up with that chinese feel) or use the hirojoshi scale and other japanese pentatonics.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
I'm pretty sure most asian pop music uses the 12 note system. I like a lot of Japanese rock and pop. Some examples to listen to are Hyde, Dir En Grey, L'arc En Ciel, Balzac.

However, when it comes to classical eastern music, I think that the 32 note system is used. Im really not sure about that. Google it or something.

Also, this may or may not help, but in I think in India, and in a lot of middle eastern countries, they have quarter tones.
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...

if you read my previous post, the band Najma is eastern rock/metal music with a completely different system of music. It harmonizes with perfect thirds and minor fifths, which don't exist in our music language.

check out the song "whispers", it's mostly vocal and rhythm, but it's so trippy and cool.
Last edited by coffeeguy9 at Feb 24, 2007,
Hm? Most contemporary Asian pop music I've heard sounds the same as Western music. Do you mean traditional music from the Orient?
well, i guess most of the most of jrock sounds sort of what comes out here .. just with a different feel and as other people quoted to be a little more on the happy side minus bands like Dire En Grey

but i think i was thinking of maybe different combinations of our western notes that we don't hear so often in popular music rock .. like the different scale i was hearing about in the replies to this thread.

"hiroshi" scale .. or something? what are the japanese scales? i wouldnt know how to make it sound japanese or asian or anything .. unless playing it from note to note alone makes it sound asian already off the top haha.

so what are those scales .. ?
i found the hirojashi scale. do you guys ever use that?
^^

I don't use it...

I mostly use the Hindu Scale for "that Mid-East to Asian" sounds but
not that often cause when you talk about Filipino music it's all about
drones and stuff (is Traditional) and some Extended Pentatonic Minor and Major
(for Alt or Rock sounds)

hope this helps...

I find in Jrock (even Jpop) Guitar is emphasized greatly, and have solos with good phrasing and technical proficiency regularly. (Hard finding that in mainstream here) Also the chord progressions utilize more seventh chords than powerchords. So Jazz is a huge part of Asian music, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUyWJE1fCNs shows tons of traditional asian influences. ESpecially during the chorus when there's a weird japanese instrument in the background playing a plucking melody. It rapes! I gotta say that Jrock is a bit more poppy, but I find a lot of the music very good and the sound of sevenths chords with distorted solos are just ****ing awesome.
My Youtube Vids

"Be formless... shapeless like water.

If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle.

Water can flow, and it can crash....Be water, my friend..." - Bruce Lee
Quote by Kind-Diamond-X
32 notes? how do they sound. I thought it only existed 12. What do they have?
I meen do they have the note I J K L M? I wonder what they sound like.

Well...one note sounds like a police car...

They sound like...notes. They just break the musical scale into smaller fragments than we do. We get half steps, they get quarter steps.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Kind-Diamond-X
32 notes? how do they sound. I thought it only existed 12

Try plaing slide guitar some time.
Quote by scrilly
Try plaing slide guitar some time.

Aren't the notes in slide like A+ and B+?
I remember my guitar teacher saying something like that to me.

Wow, that lead was catchy. I want to learn it now haha

I know that there is a Japanese scale that you play that's a pentatonic. It sounds really cool too.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
^ its pretty easy I covered it, check my vids in the sig .
My Youtube Vids

If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle.

Quote by Erich yeung
^ its pretty easy I covered it, check my vids in the sig .

You rock. That helped out a bunch. Cept, you don't seem to play it like he does. You never did any slides. I figured that for myself, but just saying because I think it sounds much better with slides.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
Quote by GuitarSymphony
You rock. That helped out a bunch. Cept, you don't seem to play it like he does. You never did any slides. I figured that for myself, but just saying because I think it sounds much better with slides.

Yea I know, Probably should have added it in. The solo is a bit off too, I figured it out again and I think I got it down now. I donno, alot of youtube ppl on my ass about tabbing it out . Yea check out some of my other vids too if you want though, and if you're into the whole traditional/modern japanese rock sound, check Kagrra (the song "Utakata "especially) I know I am haha
My Youtube Vids

Last edited by Erich yeung at Jun 9, 2007,