Ok, well I have a 5150 combo and the tubes in it just don't seem to be as good sounding as I want them to, they're still stock ones, so they probably need to be replaced soon anyway. I was looking at the JJs and I was wondering, are the ones that supposively add gain worth it? If so, just how much gain do they add? If I get new tubes, I'd have to get them installed by someone at a shop right? especially since this is my first tube amp so I have no idea what I'm doing with it haha.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Oh hell, I forgot to add, if there's any other kind of tubes you guys would suggest, I'm open to suggestions, I just hear good things about the JJs
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
In my Honest opinion JJs are overrated. Tungsol are better. I just swapped JJs out of my 5150 (kept the jj power though- those are cool) because they are too dark. JJ are the only tubes sold @ Eurotubes so of course Bob will talk them up. I will never again put JJ pres in my amp.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
Well, I mainly play metal (hardcore) so, what would you recommend? And when you say "dark" what exactly do you mean?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Feb 24, 2007,
the stock 5150 has more than enough gain for just about any kindof music! lol

I swapped the stock tubes in my peavey valveking with the high gain JJ ECC83's and they made quite a bit of difference in both the clean and the distortion. I think they are worth the cost, but I have not tried other brands.
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Ibz RG270 - Dimarzio PAF Pro/Mo' Joe
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
I like the reissue Tung-sol 12ax7's. They have a gain structure mu of 110+ for high gain. Good bottom end. I felt that that having them in all three positions (V1,V2,V3) was a little harsh on the highs when playing clean, so I have a Groove Tube in V1 and it sounds great. Would actually like to put a JJ in V1, and keep the Tung-sol's where they are. But really good sounding tube. Check them out. And why would you need a shop to put in new tubes??
Quote by malibuclc
I like the reissue Tung-sol 12ax7's. They have a gain structure mu of 110+ for high gain. Good bottom end. I felt that that having them in all three positions (V1,V2,V3) was a little harsh on the highs when playing clean, so I have a Groove Tube in V1 and it sounds great. Would actually like to put a JJ in V1, and keep the Tung-sol's where they are. But really good sounding tube. Check them out. And why would you need a shop to put in new tubes??

No idea, didn't know if I would have to bias anything for new tubes or what, as I said, this is my first tube amp =P
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
A good thing about the JJs is the price. People seem to forget that Bob can retube a 5150 for around half of what it would cost from some other manufacturers.

the "High Gain" tubes aren't bad, but if they're worth it is purely up to you. I personally don't think the 5150 needs any more gain.

To the threadstarter-

You only (might) have to re-bias if you buy poweramp tubes. Preamp tubes don't require biasing.

You can get your amp bias-modded by just about any amp tech for $40ish. I'm sure you could work a deal where they mod, install and bias your amp for a reasonable price.
Well, I probably won't retube right now, as I don't really play that much cause I've been really busy, but I was just getting an idea on what to get when I do get them. I'll deffinately have to go into some stores around me and see how much the biasing stuff would be
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com