My mate is slightly drunk at the moment, and she wants to repaint her guitar. She's had a look at one today at an exhibition, and really wants to do this.
I said I'd help her, cause I'm an alright painter, and she's self-confessed crap. I, however, think it's a bit ambitious, as we're 15/16 (me to her respectively). I suggested me designing something else, just as awesome but easier to do. Any ideas, and is it really gonna be as hard to do as I thought?

Edit: Her guitar is a Strat of some sort, not Fender, but something like that.
Last edited by TheShadow at Feb 24, 2007,
dude, if you can pull it off you'll get laid for sure

and that doesnt look too hard really
It looks hard to me for reasons such as:
1. The tartan part has shading in it, which I can do, just not very smoothly.
2. The line between the purple and the tartan is jagged, making it harder to mask.
3. We'd have to paint the pickguard the same colour, which would mean leaving it on whilst painting, but taking the pickups out, which looks like a right messy job.
4. I reckon it'd be easier to design something along the same vein, but easier to do, and perhaps better looking.

Btw, I'd love to get in with her, you know, properly. We're best mates right now, and she's awesome!
Quote by TheShadow
It looks hard to me for reasons such as:
1. The tartan part has shading in it, which I can do, just not very smoothly.
2. The line between the purple and the tartan is jagged, making it harder to mask.
3. We'd have to paint the pickguard the same colour, which would mean leaving it on whilst painting, but taking the pickups out, which looks like a right messy job.
4. I reckon it'd be easier to design something along the same vein, but easier to do, and perhaps better looking.

Btw, I'd love to get in with her, you know, properly. We're best mates right now, and she's awesome!

well, you could just use a material finish and literally put a fabric that has that pattern on it right on the guitar, it turns out pretty good if you do it right
there's a good tutorial here: http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/mat.htm

then i suppose you could just paint the purple over the material and be done with it

and as for the 'best mates' thing, even if you dont know it, thats bs, you want in her pants, and thats ok
Wait a minute!

*checks guitar that is nearly identical setup*

Oh, for a second i thought that that was my strat-guitar with a hot-rails in the bridge.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by sempri_fi
well, you could just use a material finish and literally put a fabric that has that pattern on it right on the guitar, it turns out pretty good if you do it right
there's a good tutorial here: http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/mat.htm

then i suppose you could just paint the purple over the material and be done with it

and as for the 'best mates' thing, even if you dont know it, thats bs, you want in her pants, and thats ok

Cheers, I'll check that out. And it's true, I do want in her pants. I have done for agesssssssssssss...
Last edited by TheShadow at Feb 24, 2007,
Doesn't look too hard. But your going to have the paint the guard with hte body at the same time.

Start off with the whole body white. Then mask off the white plaid lines the jagged lining line and the rest of the purple part, spray the pink on. Then mask off the faint lines leaving all the rest of the previous tape still on it. And with an air brush spray the black faded lines on. Then once that part is done paint the purple part.

For the lines your going to have to use pinstripers tape, basically its realyl think masking tape. And yoru going to need acess to an airbrush and a gun woud lbe nice too.
the only thing that could get hard is your dick....

No, really, the shading will be slightly hard to do, you would need to airbrush it on

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
Check that link that sempri_fi posted, it's got a full run through of it. I've designed a new design for her, and she likes that, but it's probably not gonna happen now, cause she hasn't said anything to me about it, and she was drunk last night. Longest sentence ever!
How about just painting the pickguard that design and paint the rest of the body purple? Or maybe get a blank pickguard and getting it to the shape of the checkered design..

Just a couple of ideas
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr