im going to trade in my guitar for an american strat and pay the diffrence. I donno which one to go with though. A highway one american Strat or save a little more and get a standerd american strat. I like the finish of the highway one, how it is thin and satin, a little more than that of an standerd american strat. Is it worth saving up for the standerd american strat?

Oblivian

PS. I play a little bit heavyer stuff, but i still love the feel of a strat body and the sound of single coils for all kinds of music.
Gear?!

Fender Champion 600

Weeping Demon Wah
Metal Muff
Blues Driver

Member 6 of the CARVIN CLUB!!

Ibanez S320 Budget:
0/500usd
Last edited by Oblivian at Feb 24, 2007,
id say the american, its worth the extra money, unless you wanna mod the highway 1. btw the standards are the mexican, not the american.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
yea i know i ment like standered made-in-america strat, as opposed to some thing like a highway one strat
Gear?!

Fender Champion 600

Weeping Demon Wah
Metal Muff
Blues Driver

Ibanez S320 Budget:
0/500usd
why are they worth the extra money? what makes them diffrent
Gear?!

Fender Champion 600

Weeping Demon Wah
Metal Muff
Blues Driver

Ibanez S320 Budget:
0/500usd
well better quality hardware and wood (dunno whether the quality of the same wood is different). highway 1's are mexican, with the last screw put in america, with slightly better hardware and parts than normal MIM's.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Find a used Japanese Strat.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
bkhfjuyfkuhfvkugjf............................
ok fine.. now all i have to do is get $400 more
Gear?!

Fender Champion 600

Weeping Demon Wah
Metal Muff
Blues Driver

Ibanez S320 Budget:
0/500usd
+1 to R_H_C_P, jap strats are around the sameish price as MIM's (i think, maybe more), but are just as good, if not better than the MIA's.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
...Or get a Carvin Bolt.

Miles better than an MIA strat and customizable .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
go with the highway one

unless you're one of those people that don't like the finish to come of your strat (that's meant in an entirely non-sarcastic way; I love it when they peel)
Do the jap strats have a nitrocellulose finish on the body?
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

Quote by TUMFP
Where are the Jap's available? I had thought that they discontinued their Jap models.

Ebay or craigslist.

OMG! Are japanese strats really that good? I mean, similar or better to an american with the price of a MIM strat? Wow, I'm going to have to look into those!
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Chips-
Get a Classic Player strat. I'm gonna buy the CP60s. It should be just as good if not better than a standard MIA, and it's only $800!

Read more about it here http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html?db=&topic_number=597368&lastpost=2007-02-2409:07:39

i wanna get the '60's one, but i'll have to wait till next year, cos im gonna buy an amp.

EDIT: no im not, im getting the classic '60's, not classic players
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by R_H_C_P
Find a used Japanese Strat.

Agree, mine is perfect
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
Quote by rhcp_freak
well better quality hardware and wood (dunno whether the quality of the same wood is different). highway 1's are mexican, with the last screw put in america, with slightly better hardware and parts than normal MIM's.

Such utter crap, sorry, this is wrong.

Just because you don't like a guitar doesn't mean you have to bash it without good arguments. If parts are slightly better than mexican, they are AMERICAN, there are no special highway one inbetween parts. The wood is the same quality as an american strat, as is the neck, which is an american neck. The pickups on the new highways are very different from a strat, but by no means inferior.

Also, the trem is 6 screw one while the standard american strat comes with a 2 screw one if I am correct. The 6 screw one can be set up to work as the 2 screw one easily, just follow the fender website.

In the electronics department you will find some mexican parts, and the greasebucket circuit, which normal american's don't have (I don't like it, but you might).

The finish, I personally love the look, but it does scratch easily (which is no problem for me, I like strats that wear with time). Normal poly finish will not scratch that easily and will take a very hard bashing to get the reliced look (al those 60's guitar that looks so good reliced are nitro finished).

So, the highway 1 is a good deal, it has the quality control of the american factory (which means no more hit or miss guitars). The american does have a few better parts and I prefer it's sound over the more heavy styles influenced highway sound (that's why I bought an old highway), but the highway is by no means a ripoff, it's good for what it's meant to do.

You said you like heavier music, and the finish of highways, I say try them out. The pickups on the highways and the greasebucket will suit your music styles.
Gear:
Gibson les paul Studio faded, modded Buckethead style (killswitch, 1 tone, 1 vol)
Taylor Big Baby 306-GB
Modded Cort KX-5, runaway (neck) and warthog (bridge)
Laney VC-15
Digitech Bad Monkey, EH Big Muff, crybaby JH-1
i wasnt trying to bash highway one's, i would probably take one over the american for the finish, and the price, seeing as i cant afford an MIA.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by Octavianus

So, the highway 1 is a good deal, it has the quality control of the american factory (which means no more hit or miss guitars).

Informative post, but I'd just like to add that I've played many a "miss" MIA Fender.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
alright thanks guys, I am going to get 1 this month...

Highway One Strat + tortoise shell pickguard = THE SEX!
Gear?!

Fender Champion 600

Weeping Demon Wah
Metal Muff
Blues Driver

Ibanez S320 Budget:
0/500usd