What's the best distortion pedal out there?

I have a Marshall & a Gibson SG

& i'm influenced by taking back sunday, brand new, underoath, (+44) etc.

i was just wondering if you guys could help me out.

also is there any difference between overdrive & distortion?
Fender American Deluxe Telecaster
Marshall JCM800
Boss Tu-2, Os-2, DD-3
Id say either Big Muff Pi or Metal Muff With Top Boost both electro-harmonix.
Wait, what kind of Marshall is it?
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
He says he's saving for a JCM. If that's so then don't waste money on a pedal. Use that money to save up for your JCM. Which JCM are you getting anyways?
Quote by Kensai
oh that sig's old.
i never use the forums on here so i never update it
i still have an MG.
im not saving for a JCM as i need a car. reading festival & holidays.
im getting some pedals for my setup
& i'll buy an amp when our band gets on our feet again.
Last edited by livefastdiefun at Mar 10, 2007,
i think the Boss MT-2 metal zone is the best distortion pedal out there. dont be fooled by the name, u can get all kinds of distortion types on it.
Quote by Ryank285
i think the Boss MT-2 metal zone is the best distortion pedal out there. dont be fooled by the name, u can get all kinds of distortion types on it.

I ahve the MT-2 also and it's great. I use it through my Champ 15 and it sounds pretty good. But using a MG with the MT-2 I dont recomend. I have the MG10CD and when I use my MT-2 through it it sounds like crap. So i would recomend the OS-3. It will give you both OD and Distortion or both depending on what you like.
Member of the "Defenders of Emo,PM eckman88 to join "

Founder Of The Artcore/Hollow Body Users Club PM me to join

Quote by Chuck Norris
Leading hand sanitizers claim they can kill 99.9 percent of germs. I kill 100 percent of whatever the fuck he wants.
Big Muff wont get the tones he asked for, although it is amazing. I reckon a DS-1 is your best bet since you're on a budget.
And yeah overdrive is designed to boost valve amps for added saturation in the tubes, an OD would sound pretty shit with an MG, as would most pedals to be honest.
The obligatory gear list: Gibson SG standard,Maverick F-1,Epiphone Sheraton,'68 reissuse Jap Strat, Orange Rocker 30 and various pedals.
Electro Harmonix Users Guild #30
Quote by Jonny02
Big Muff wont get the tones he asked for, although it is amazing. I reckon a DS-1 is your best bet since you're on a budget.
And yeah overdrive is designed to boost valve amps for added saturation in the tubes, an OD would sound pretty shit with an MG, as would most pedals to be honest.

Normally I'd say a DS-1 sucks cause people recommend it for metal, which it can't do at all in my opinion...but it might actually be able to do Underoath fine since they're not that heavy of screamo.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Jonny02

And yeah overdrive is designed to boost valve amps for added saturation in the tubes

That's wrong. OD pedals simulate the sound of an overdriven tube amp but sometimes can also be used as boosters. Basically they give a different more natural sound than distortions.
The Stuff!
Actually, I find the Metal Zone to be some what nasally sounding. Try the Line 6 Uber Metal pedal. It's a pretty awesome pedal if you know how to eq it properly.
Quote by Kensai
if your question is "what's the best od/distortion pedal," that's one thing. and, frankly, i don't agree with any of the suggestions so far. of those that i've played, my favorites are the original Proco Rat, Tech 21 Sansamp GT2, Radial Plexitube, g2d morpheus, and countless others depending on the exact flavor of gain i'm looking for. if the question is "what's the best on a tight budget," that's something else entirely. for example, muff pi's are great, but they're nowhere near as cool as, say, a DA MOAF. boss's SD-1 is great, but it's no original TS808.
Quote by Ryank285

hope your kidding cause theyre not..

tech 21 sansamp gt-2
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

lol i laughed when i read that "metal zone is the best distortion out there". just go to the store and try out all the distortion pedals they have.
i'd say metal muff. i have the digitech df-7 - 7 copies of world famous distortions, it has ts9, proco rat, dod overdrive/preamp, ds-1, boss metal zone, digitech metal master and big muff pi. i think its pretty good for about 240 ud. i mean, $240 for about $350 worth of awesome pedals. and they're pedals, so not much can go wrong. has a bloody powerful eq aswell. thats just what ive got anyway... pretty versatile and as big as a ds-1
I recommend you Digitech's Hot Head.Or anything that Digitech can offer just go their official website and pick one
My pedals:
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah GCB-95
Ibanez Tube Screamer (TS-9)
Digitech Hot Head
MXR Phase 90
Digitech DigiDelay
Quote by Ace Frehley
I recommend you Digitech's Hot Head.Or anything that Digitech can offer just go their official website and pick one

yeah actually, i agree. digitech are underrated in some products because others are shit - like the rp series
it would help if you state your budget
i can go on and on about hi-gain pedals that sounds good, but maybe it wont fit your budget?
personally, i have a Tech 21 Sansamp GT2(version 1) and it sounds good, but its a little pricier compared to other more mainstream brands. I've also used an MI Audio Tubezone, good too, but also a lil pricier.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Last edited by ~Andrea-Angel~ at Feb 25, 2007,
Quote by EpiPaul
i'd say metal muff. i have the digitech df-7 - 7 copies of world famous distortions, it has ts9, proco rat, dod overdrive/preamp, ds-1, boss metal zone, digitech metal master and big muff pi. i think its pretty good for about 240 ud. i mean, $240 for about $350 worth of awesome pedals. and they're pedals, so not much can go wrong. has a bloody powerful eq aswell. thats just what ive got anyway... pretty versatile and as big as a ds-1

yet still digital..
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

some of yall are a**holes... attacking people of their personal opinion... i clearly stated "i think" that boss metal zone pedal is the best distortion pedal out there, which is clearly on opinion... and i get trashed for it. grow the f*ck up.