I play guitar with very minimal knowlege of theory. I have like 400 pages of printed out theory, but i usually just end up playing whatever my fingers want instead of whats on those papers. I am no noob at playing, but what I want to know is it ok to like theory but not enough to learn it? Iv always been a feel musician, with my techno, and everything else I make, but im such a feel guitarist that I look at the paper, guitar on my lap, and i read like 2 exercises. I dont even play those exercizes!
I just end up making my own stuff up. Are there any other feel guitarists like me who are interested in theory but just dont want to read it, and just play? And BTW I have nothing against theory whatsoever.
get a teacher so you dont have to read
My Music
Quote by x_themetalfan_x
For a second I thought the title said "I swallowed my dick".

my gear:
fender stratocaster american deluxe SSS(s1)
G-DEC 30W amp
custom carrying case
jasmine by takamine acoustic
silvertone acoustic

AMAZING GUITAR SOLO!!!
What are you hoping to get out of this thread? Some self esteem because you there are other people who in all likely hood took the lazy way out?

I just don't know what this thread can give you. Care to enlighten me on the purpose?
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
... Nightwind I have nothing against you or anything. Im trying to get some answers about my dillema, maybe some more advice on how to make theory more entertaining to read? I really dont see how im doing anyone anywrong. By the way my grammer has gotten better.
where'd you get 400 pages of theory?

you don't have to know any theory to be a great guitarist , knowing it can help you make things with in theory terms are more wonderful than something which is made by somebody who know no theory but still makes something that sounds awsome that's the only purpose.
shnaps i own sorta:-steinberger spirit
-ol' samick strat replica
-harmony acoustic of some sort
-ibanez pro bass

amps:-2 micro cubes
-peavey rage 158
-gorilla somethin
-ol' danelectro
-crate bass amp
Well, the only "entertaining" aspect of it is the heap of benefits you gain from learning it. There's no real way to evade the "boringness" of learning it, but having learned it and being able to apply it to songwriting is the fun and rewarding part.
just learn some scales for starters like major and minor that means you can make up riffs in key and all the notes will sound good together with no trial and error which is what you have to go through knowing no scales.
Quote by ch715dallat
just learn some scales for starters like major and minor that means you can make up riffs in key and all the notes will sound good together with no trial and error which is what you have to go through knowing no scales.

i know scales and modes though. I have like 20 pages of scales and modes combined lol. I just want to know a better way of learning theory then reading and getting a guitar teacher.
It sounds like you're trying to validate your laziness

I don't know when or if you will realize that you're only cheating yourself.
Quote by SillyRabbit
i know scales and modes though. I have like 20 pages of scales and modes combined lol. I just want to know a better way of learning theory then reading and getting a guitar teacher.

there is no better way. learn theory without reading? thats a joke
Theory is putting known practices into general standard terms. Theres a difference between random notes, and knowing what your doing. Whether you know it's called a phrygian dominant mode, or just a cool string of notes, it's theory.
Quote by Nick_
It sounds like you're trying to validate your laziness

I agree. He still hasn't answered me on what he wants to gain from this thread.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Learn it. Play it. You won't regret it. Hell, the only books I read nowadays are theory books. I should really start reading novels again.

Oddly enough I'll quote Zakk Wylde "Use it or lose it"
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Last edited by bluesrocker101 at Feb 24, 2007,
Quote by SillyRabbit
here on UG
and some googled sites.

that is far too much, and probably has alot of false info..

just go out and buy a book...

is there a Music Theory for Dummies?
Quote by hippie_cune
that is far too much, and probably has alot of false info..

just go out and buy a book...

is there a Music Theory for Dummies?

The Complete Idiot's guide to Music Theory.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Man up and learn theory, or don't. Its that simple. It sounds to me like you're fishing for someone to say "don't learn theory, you don't need it." So I'll say it. Here goes! Don't learn theory you don't need it. That having been said, let me say this: everything you play is a scale or mode or chord, etc. Its all a part of theory. Knowing that from learning it out of a book or whatever is a good way to point you in the next direction you want to go in a song. It makes things easier. Do the learning/work now, reap the benefits later... and sooner actually lol. But you can go ahead and continue to be a "feel" guitarist or whatever you want to call yourself. I can play by ear and feel things out very well but thats no excuse to neglect a tool thats only going to add to my skill and only make me that much better.
We're only strays.
Theory is just to impress the little kids at guitar center. Feel guitarists are way better off without all the mumbo jumbo. Yah it helps to know which notes are on the guitar and which can be played over what chords, but that can be done with trial and error.

Learning every "C" chord is pointless on so many levels. Most of the guys that do that, have an amp only big enough so they can practice their Ygnwie impersonations in the mirror while shredding at 10,000 miles an hour.

If thats what you want, then go ahead and learn theory and all about the physics of sound just to razzle dazzle kids, cause that's about all its good for too. But as for learning your notes, I did all that with classical guitar training, which sucked pretty bad.

I think the only theory I learned was, formula for minor & major scales, what to call all the notes in relativity to each other; 2nd's, M3's, etc. If youre the guy that wants to play in a band that tours and makes money, then theory may not be for you, but there are alot of musicians that know it. But if youre a jam musician that jams with peeps at your local bar, then sure it could help.

OMG I just rambled alot, anyway, read what you want, I was trippin last night, anyway. Have fun
Mesa Boogie 4x12 v30
Mesa Boogie 2x12 v30
Mesa Boogie Dual Rec

Mexican Strat
*Suggests for new guitar? PRS?
*New pickups as well? HumBuckers?
Quote by TheSultryAffair
Theory is just to impress the little kids at guitar center. Feel guitarists are way better off without all the mumbo jumbo. Yah it helps to know which notes are on the guitar and which can be played over what chords, but that can be done with trial and error.

Maybe some people would like to write songs without constant trial and error then?

Theory is not bad for you in any way; there is NO excuse not to learn it. That doesn't mean you must, though. It's just that people who try to justify not learning it aren't being true to themselves.