hi everyone,
I have squire strat and the pickup selector switch is broken. Only the neck and bridge pickup work. For me to use other pickup configurations, I have to really wiggle the switch to work. My question is: how hard is it to put in a new switch? I assume I just take of the pickgaurd, unwire the wires on the bad switch and solder on the wires to the new switch. Is that right?? also, any strat switch will work wont it?
thanks for the help.
if you don't know what the hell you're doin let someone who does do it.

if you do know what you're doin, it shouldn't be too difficult i don't think.
Quote by xX_JIMI_Xx
if you don't know what the hell you're doin let someone who does do it.

if you do know what you're doin, it shouldn't be too difficult i don't think.

wow, thanks for the help jackass.

by the reply you gave me, you dont know what YOUR doing, so why even respond?
Yes, its only the matter of replacing the old ones with new ones. Wiring are exactly the same, accept if your 5-way selector is different (rotary/normal)
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
yes its pretty easy to switch a switch. Just make sure you get the same type of switch and you can rewirethe new one exactly like the oneyou take out. You know how to solder right?
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Ibz RG270 - Dimarzio PAF Pro/Mo' Joe
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
matt's solder question is pretty much the core of it. If you can solder pretty good...it's a 5 minute gig. If you soldering skills aren't up to average than you can still do it...but it will be longer and more frustrating...and you'll likely have a big mess on your hands.

Your local guitar store should have some aftermarket replacement parts and you should be able to pickup a 5 way switch for a few bucks.

Give it a shot on your own. Just diagram your current switch. Take your time. Get some some solder removal braid (works better in my opinion than the vacumn thing...but I am no electronics tech). And then have some fun. You really can't hurt anything that a guitar tech can't fix in a few minutes...so give it a shot and learn something.

cl