so i am a guitar player and im starting bass as soon as i can collect enough money for a decent bass guitar. i'm wondering if any of you bass professionals, and active musicians/bass playas for life could give me and help, like if there's any huge difference, or anything. i also would like to know if i NEED a new amp for bass, because then i'd need a lot of money... so help appreciated
when im with you, there's nothing I wouldn't do, i just wanna be you're only one. im gasping out of straws, taken aback by what i saw that night before when we were all alone...
You definitly need to get a bass amp. Don't play bass through guitar amps or you'll blow the speakers.
Native Pride

Better to reign in hell

Member of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join, luthier's only
Member of The Future Embrace, UG's Billy Corgan/Smashing Pumpkins fan club. PM musiclover2399 to join .
I can help you there.
It depends alot on what type of guitar playing you're used to, but i had no trouble.
Yes you DO need a new bass amp, unless you have a stack, then you just need a speaker i think.....
But little bass combo's dont cost a lot, i got mine for £50.
Hope i helped
Leaders Of Men
IndieStore

-Gig Rig-
Fender MIM Strat (arctic white)
Boss ME-50
HH Performer 150.

-Practice Rig-
Squire Master Series Deluxe Thinline Telecaster. w/ Bill lawrence XL-500
Boss ME-50
Marshall MG15CDR
okay, but i think im gonna actually choose bass as my top instrunmen over guitar, so should i get a farely expensive bass, or a 200$ one?
when im with you, there's nothing I wouldn't do, i just wanna be you're only one. im gasping out of straws, taken aback by what i saw that night before when we were all alone...
Hmm, ebay second hand would be a good bet, look at some reviews etc on here.
What type of music do you play?
Leaders Of Men
IndieStore

-Gig Rig-
Fender MIM Strat (arctic white)
Boss ME-50
HH Performer 150.

-Practice Rig-
Squire Master Series Deluxe Thinline Telecaster. w/ Bill lawrence XL-500
Boss ME-50
Marshall MG15CDR
Find a bass that feels good in your hands. That's the most important thing for your bass at first.

Then you can spend whatever money you have left on an amp. A good relatively inexpensive amp would probably be an Ashdown Blue Series. Simple but amazing sound and plenty of volume...especially for the price.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Used bass and just a decent starter should start you off well. Threadstarter, you're the one that started the thread on how hard is to find a bassist aren't you?

Also opticon, again, it's great to see you're a part of the future embrace!