Poll: can Jim carrey be a serious actor (give reasons)
Poll Options
View poll results: can Jim carrey be a serious actor (give reasons)
yes
72 76%
no
23 24%
Voters: 95.
Page 1 of 2
after seeing his new film '23' advertised, i was wondering can Jim Carrey actual act seriously. what do you guys think, and there will be a poll shortly.
I don't know, why don't you ask The Truman Show or Eternal Sunshine?

He's done nothing but serious movies for years.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Carrey has his moments.

notably in ace ventura:

"Children the rhinos giving birth"

*cue carreys head
Quote by future rock god
after seeing his new film '23' advertised, i was wondering can Jim Carrey actual act seriously. what do you guys think, and there will be a poll shortly.

Wow, you're a ****ing idiot
www.bebo.com/Re-Ascension - my artist profile! Alternative Rock!

XBOX Live Gamertag: christophe245

Quote by purplegreendave
I like the way 3 of the tags on this video you found are:
gay anus sex

Not that I'm implying anything - far be it from me to judge
very good film

i really enjoyed it, made me jump...like when she jumps out the window and lands on the floor...i jumped..i was relaxing, enjoying a nice calm bit..then *splat*...ffs..lawl

i think he does it really well...i do prefer him in comedy though i must admit
I actually liked the movie alot. I think Jim Carrey really portrayed his character well. I heard a lot of people in the theater talking about how bad it was and all that, but I thought it was a good movie, with a really good plot twist.

I'd reccommend seeing it. But only if you enjoy those types of "psychological thrillers".
Quote by GrEgUms1991
an actor is an actor funny or not

eternal sunshine of the spotless mind? Hello?
Veteran UGer. Suck it.
Quote by Rankles

Isn't Bruce Almighty comedy?
although he has done serious in the past, i have thought this myself recently when i saw the promo...i'm sure he's aware of how difficult it will be for people to break through his humourous front and see his serious abilities. shows how versatile a talent he is though, good luck to the guy
That's the reason he is famous for! There's no point for him to act serious. I don't think he can ever act serious in a whole movie. Maybe for most of the scenes, but he's definately going to do something funny in the way through.
Quote by muse_
Isn't Bruce Almighty comedy?

Part comedy, part moral....

Also, ASOUE Coult have been a decent movie if carey didnt' act like a dumbass the whole time... But I guess thats what the producers said.
Quote by 94 hours

Quote by dumps
i dont really know what is good so maybe you guys could give me some suggestions of a good practice amp with some a effects between 70 and 100pound. cheers

your buying an amp based on weight??
He was really good in that film...for the first half hour or so I kept expecting him to do something funny.
His acting was perfect though and I really enjoyed the film
Some people wait a lifetime, some simply accept...

...Some of us crash land, some of us eject...

...Some restore the blood flow, some just let it go and bleed...

...Some of us obsess, some move on to something new
i can do both

maybe he can too?
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Quote by Rankles

Well not really, Me, Myself and Irene, The Grinch, Fun With Dick and Jane, that film that was based on a series of books...They're hardly serious movies.

But yeah, The Number 23 in my opinion is one of the better films i've seen recently, and I think he could have gone either way in being a slapstick actor or a serious one full out in his career, just so happens he does both.
Funny words.
Of course he can, in all his comedy movies there's a scene where it's not funny at all. The depressing moment where he has to act serious. So of course he can.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Two kids movies, a blockbuster and a piece of crap.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
the truman show is one of my all time favourite films, what does anyone else think of it?
www.bebo.com/Re-Ascension - my artist profile! Alternative Rock!

XBOX Live Gamertag: christophe245

Quote by purplegreendave
I like the way 3 of the tags on this video you found are:
gay anus sex

Not that I'm implying anything - far be it from me to judge
Great film, but despite it's seriousness, the character is Carey, he can't do a serious acting role I don't think. And i'm glad, comedy needs him.
I never found him funny, at all.

He's a great actor otherwise.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by Rankles

Touché Rankles....Touché.

On topic, whilst watching 23, it's the kind of film I can imagine getting trashed by the critics, even though I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Funny words.
Quote by Rankles

fun with dick and jane?

i had to restrain myself from shooting the cinema screen
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Quote by 01chardw
Wow, you're a ****ing idiot

and that well thought out really shows that you aren't huh?
Yes, he's one of those people who kind of just give off a pathetic aura which is perfect for emotional films. That sounds ba but it's actually a good thing. Even though, whenever he's in a serious movie a still always expect him to drop a punch line every other sentence!
yes... I saw 23 yesterday and it's the best movie I've seen for the past 3 years I think... if not more (and I saw a lot of movies!)... it's FVCKING GOOOD OWOOOHOOOOOO!!!!
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
Quote by fadingboy
Yes, he's one of those people who kind of just give off a pathetic aura which is perfect for emotional films. That sounds ba but it's actually a good thing. Even though, whenever he's in a serious movie a still always expect him to drop a punch line every other sentence!

which makes it hard for us actors who like comedic and serious roles
<//////>~
Of course Carrey can be serious, he was BRILLIANT in Eternal Sunshine IMO and for the record "The Number 23" has already started to be trashed by critics but rather than turn me off the film it's made me more excited to see it I want to find out what all these predictable and credibility-ruining plot twists are.
The number 23 is actually a very good film although I couldnt keep a straight face through it just because its carrey. It wasnt that predictable.
I wrote a song about war...
The kind that lives in your head.
i liked 23. reminded me of pi but was able to hold it's own. the ending was a little cheesy, i doubt it was the original one. that's really the only way it could've ended though and tied up all the loose ends. maybe tying up the loose ends isn't always best though.

i thought carrey did a good job. he's been a great dramatic actor. his highpoint is definitely still eternal sunshine of a spotless mind. well ... next to ace ventura of course.
#DTWD
Quote by Slinov
very good film

i really enjoyed it, made me jump...like when she jumps out the window and lands on the floor...i jumped..i was relaxing, enjoying a nice calm bit..then *splat*...ffs..lawl

i think he does it really well...i do prefer him in comedy though i must admit

I absolutely loved the movie, and when I saw it in theaters last night a 16-ish girl in the crowd screamed like you wouldn't believe in the scene where Agatha checks out the institute and notices the "23" in the mirror. The ENTIRE crowd laughed at her.
LTD SC-608 Baritone
Schecter 007-Elite
Epi. Les Paul Standard
Jasmine SC312
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-3
Peavey 6505+

www.behaviourmusic.com
I saw the trailer and the whole time i was expecting him to jump on a table and scream "CAN YOU FEEL IT, DR. COMPOST? CAN YOU FEEL IT!!?".
He does serious roles very well, but i much prefer his previous, less serious roles.
I wish he would make some more really stupid and funny movies.
what about the cable guy?

the was funny... and dark at the same time

edit: and yesterday i saw reno 911 miami... i full heartedly give it two thumbs up... at times its just a tad bit strained but mostly it was hilarious... i still cant stop laughing
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Last edited by latinosuperstud at Feb 24, 2007,
Quote by original=punk
how come no-ones said Man on the Moon?

I loved that movie. Probably one of my all time favorites.

Anyway, yeah I think Carrey can play a serious role. I haven't seen the movie yet but I really want to. Looks to be quite good despite what everyone says.
Quote by Rankles

I was about to say the same thing.

Anyone can do serious acting if they try.

Except Mr. T. His voice is soooooo unserious.

"Foo', you need to get cancer out ya' lung!"

Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Page 1 of 2