The title says it all really, i'm trying to remember the run up to to the V - I change, it involves the II chord and one of its inversions i think but cant remember how it works??
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

PAC cadnece can be approached form a step up or step down from teh tonic note. Or a 4th dow and 5th up(might be switched i cant remember)
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
So just II - V - I? My memory says the teacher wrote something like II - II* - II - II* - V - I. (* meaning first inversion since i dont know the correct way of writing it on the net) But that is a very hazy memory and i wanted to check on it..?
Quote by cakemonster91

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

cycle of fifths: IV - VII - III - VI - II - V - I ?

or you could use a predominant like IV or #I* (neapolitan 6th, 1st inversion)

or you could use the III or bIII

you could just try lots of random chords and see if one works
Well, you can approach the V-I a number of ways...

One would be ii6 - V - I, with the 6 indicating first inversion, but there are other common possibilities, including ii-V-I and IV-V-I, both of which are similar to the first I posted. (There are many more, of course).

I think that's your question? Let me know if it isn't.

edit: blue_strat, just to let you know the Neopolitan is thought of as a bII, instead of a #I.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
^ thanks

oh, you could do VI - V - I if you want to sound cheesey, or IV - IVm - I (in a maj key)
Yeh these work great, thanks for the help. Just checking, Neopolitan = 1st inversion? I didn't even know they had names
Quote by cakemonster91

no

neopolitan chord is a major triad built on the lowered secong scale degree. so bII.

i wouldn't worry about that chord just yet though if your having trouble with cadences.