Ever since i started playing guitar, i always kinda used the side of the pick, exactly like you do when sweep picking. But i did that before i even knew what sweep picking was. anyhow, is it still ok for me to hold the pick in that position when playing regular tabs, instead of dead flat, which i still do sometimes ( i dont really control when i change from the edge of the pick to the flat side...)
I'm...not to sure what you mean. Pix?

There's different techniques for different styles. Whatever suites you is fine but I find have more pick attack to be the most efficient way for me to play.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
ehh, i dont i could really display it with a pic. but i mean using the outer edge of the pick. scraping, or sliding down (as in strumming down, not scraping down) the strings instead of a head on attack.

i dunno.... maybe im just retarded.
No, it's not okay. In fact, it's illegal.

Or maybe you decide for yourself. There's always someone who'll tell you that what you're doing isn't "proper" just because they don't do it like that... "You're supposed to rest your guitar on the other leg", "You should hold the pick between this-and-that fingers", "You shouldn't cut the loose ends off as colse to the peg", etc.
"You should anchor!"

Meh, my guitar teacher tells me all of these things. Anchoring seriously hurts my hand alot.

But yes, the bird is right -_-.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R