Ok I have been trying to throw in some rakes into my blues licks and improvs for some time now. I don't know what I am doing wrong, but they just don't sound like they are supposed to, they just dont add anything when I do them. WHY? If anyone out there knows what I am referring to could ya help me out?
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
just play from your pentatonic scales, throw in some trills and bends where appropriate, and it should sound great.
Quote by GiantRaven
Yes

but it was odd, we didn't have anything overly important stolen

and among the stolen items: Bananas

Quote by Vantage
Some guy stole one of my pants and the plastic bottles.
work on your right hand muting technique
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
I have been using my right hand to mute. For instance if I want to do bend on the 1st string I will rake from the 6th down and unmute when I hit the 1st. I want it to sound like SRV, but it doesn't. (Don't tell me it can't be done just cuz he was SRV, I have seen and heard numerous people do it)
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

Quote by Isogrifo
just play from your pentatonic scales, throw in some trills and bends where appropriate, and it should sound great.

And if you are talking about band playing if you have a rythme guitar just have him play the chorus beat and you solo and follow the chords. When you follow the chords just follow them by ear and if the chords are getting louder or more heavy that's when you start to increase the overall dramatics of the solo. the Sweeet Child O' Mine solo does that im pretty sure. Listen to that, it will give you a basic idea of what im talking about. But using the penatonic and adding some trills and bends is what i primarally solo with. I still kinda a noob to soloing.
Member of the "Defenders of Emo,PM eckman88 to join "

Founder Of The Artcore/Hollow Body Users Club PM me to join

Quote by Chuck Norris
Leading hand sanitizers claim they can kill 99.9 percent of germs. I kill 100 percent of whatever the fuck he wants.
Quote by USAPeavey
I have been using my right hand to mute. For instance if I want to do bend on the 1st string I will rake from the 6th down and unmute when I hit the 1st. I want it to sound like SRV, but it doesn't. (Don't tell me it can't be done just cuz he was SRV, I have seen and heard numerous people do it)

Try striking the strings harder, single coil helps up to bring the "twanginess", some overdrive also colors the tone.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
I think madpickin03 is the only one that knows what I am talkin about...I know how to solo, I am just trying to master this one technique.

Quote by madpickin03
Try striking the strings harder, single coil helps up to bring the "twanginess", some overdrive also colors the tone.

I am using a Fender Tele through a "plexi" amp model. It doesn't really get more twangy than that. If you have any soundclips of you doin this I would appreciate it.
Quote by jackbauer

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

Thats pretty much the advice i could give. As for clips, i dont know when im free, if only you'd post this couple of days before then probably i could do it asap.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
I'm in no hurry If you are willing, that is.
Quote by jackbauer

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

when "raking" it's best if you keep to the 3 low strings, (D,A & E), if you use the finer, higher strings you lose the effect totally.
My gear:
Fender 50th anniv American Strat Deluxe NICE
Fender Eric johnson Strat SEXY
Gibson SG Special Gothic II RAW
Ibanez JS 1000 VERSATILE
Gibson Les Paul Custom OOH BABY
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Head & Cab LET'S ROCK