Hi, I know my tube amp sounds great when driven hard, but I was wanting to know when "cranked" is "cranked".

What are the knobs at on YOUR tube amp to bring out the greatness in it?

I ask this because at practice I had always had my gain at 8-10 (out of 10) and my volume at 5 or 6, but the other day I went to 8 and it was like another world completely.... but, coming from being a touring bassist, I was always told that if you have to shove the volume above 7, you need a new amp, now, I know you want to push these suckers, but I wanted to know what volume/gain settings you guys used.
Quote by HxCori<3
you sir, are the ultimate UG stereotype, praise a not so good metal player, zakk, put down other peoples playing, seriously say I WAS GONAA PLAYZ SOME UBER LEEDS LOZLOERLS~1!!!11!, and then critique epiphones as if there worth a second glance
when it starts breaking up and getting distorted...
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Another southern fried freak on a crucifix
Hicks don't mix with politics
People on the street just kickin' to the licks
Quote by rnrsoldier1461
when it starts breaking up and getting distorted...

Mine did that at level 5 on the volume, but it sounded really a lot better pushed even harder.
Quote by HxCori<3
you sir, are the ultimate UG stereotype, praise a not so good metal player, zakk, put down other peoples playing, seriously say I WAS GONAA PLAYZ SOME UBER LEEDS LOZLOERLS~1!!!11!, and then critique epiphones as if there worth a second glance
then push the volume more
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Another southern fried freak on a crucifix
Hicks don't mix with politics
People on the street just kickin' to the licks
wow.
Quote by HxCori<3
cranked is essentially...Loud

Take the volume potentiometer(knob) and turn it clock wise or up all the way to ten.
In reality the actually volume of a tube amp goes to 5 or 6 after that theres just more gain and compression
Quote by rooster456
Guitars will bring girlfriends. Girlfriends won't bring guitars.

Because footstools are cool UG's Classical Guitarists
pm Marmoseti or Confusius to join
So I won't hurt the tube amp by cranking the gain and volume knob to 10?
Quote by HxCori<3
usually with tube amps, as you start from zero volume and increase it you will hit an area where there is a noticable jump in volume. This is where the amp starts to really sound good. As volume knob increases the distortion increases more than the loudness/volume (for example from 8 to 10 the volume might not increase a lot but the distortion becomes richer). This spot where the volume jumps up (where the power tubes really start to "kick in") is different on all amps. On my JCM900 it's about 4.5, on my JCM800 it's around 1, and on my AC30 there is no jump, it's just smooth up to "10".
Ahhh I see thank you so much Gutch for clearing that up, thats what I needed to know, many internets for you.
Quote by HxCori<3
Quote by Gutch220
usually with tube amps, as you start from zero volume and increase it you will hit an area where there is a noticable jump in volume. This is where the amp starts to really sound good. As volume knob increases the distortion increases more than the loudness/volume (for example from 8 to 10 the volume might not increase a lot but the distortion becomes richer). This spot where the volume jumps up (where the power tubes really start to "kick in") is different on all amps. On my JCM900 it's about 4.5, on my JCM800 it's around 1, and on my AC30 there is no jump, it's just smooth up to "10".
Your powertubes distort on 1?!?! Are you talking o'clocks, or out of ten? If it's out of ten, that's ridiculous.
numbers, not o'clock........... I'm just talking about the "jump in volume" and not neccessarily "distortion"
After 1:00, I find that there's not much increase in perceptible volume; 1 - 3 is my sweetspot.

Putting it all the way up is too compressed for me

wait I should add that I mostly play clean or with a slight crunch
dime out? I take it your giving homage to one of the best guitarists of his age? (yet another R.I.P. Dimebag! Peace brother guitarist )

If so:

I wish I could dime out my Kustom RC30, which gets richer as you go higher... but the roomies won't let me... I can't wait untill they move out so that I can streach her legs!
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Last edited by Outside Octaves at Feb 25, 2007,
^

He means to put everything on your EQ settings to 10.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
yeah "dime out" = levels at 10
Quote by HxCori<3
I'm a noob, what can i say? lol.. :P

Though, I guess you can't really blame me. Being a fan, anytime I see Dime on a guitar site, I think of Darrel Lance Abbot (sp?)

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
On my amp it's when the sound starts to get thicker and I can hear breakup, usually on about 4/12.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
On my Champ I start getting overdrive at 5 (out of ten), which is not too loud for bedroom practice. IMO, cranking is turning it all the way up.
Quote by Outside Octaves
I'm a noob, what can i say? lol.. :P

Though, I guess you can't really blame me. Being a fan, anytime I see Dime on a guitar site, I think of Darrel Lance Abbot (sp?)

im guessing youre 12-14 max

get over it and yourself, yes it was a shame, but cant do jack bout it now

please dont make him some god when he was just good on guitar

still its these kids with their RIP DIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMEBAG!

i like to show respect to him without showing myself up as a tit
Quote by davedoom

Why? Why did you have to post this?
Where would you say the sweet spot is on a Dual Recto? You want the channel volume up all the way and turn the overall volume up from the master right?
iirc in the manual, I think Mesa says around 10:00 on the master vol.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by davedoom

Yea, I'm 20 and sooo over the death of Dimebag. You are such an ass... take that guitar out of your ass... It's called respecting the death of one of the greatest guitarists out there... yeash. And I also It was really just respecting him as a fellow guitarist, not as a god ...

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Quote by Outside Octaves

Yea, I'm 20 and sooo over the death of Dimebag. You are such an ass... take that guitar out of your ass...

phew thanks, thought it was that to cause me to walk like Mr Wayne, damn Dimebag Razorbacks!
my amp gets louder from 1-5 then from 5-10 it gets more and more compressed. With a Distortion+ and an EQ and a Cranked tube amp is pure heaven. I can still get pwng tones at 1 though since i just dial in more Distortion from my Distortion+
Quote by rooster456
Guitars will bring girlfriends. Girlfriends won't bring guitars.

Because footstools are cool UG's Classical Guitarists
pm Marmoseti or Confusius to join