yeah i saw the other thread about singing and that reminded me of a grunge band me and a few mates are going to make. And no-ones up for the singing cos none uf us can sing for shit, Im the bassist and i recon if i knew how to at all id do the singing, any tips?
Try listening to some grunge to find out.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
All you need to be able to do is shoot yourself to get big in grunge.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
yeah im heavily into nirvana and stuff and i know what it sounds like but it still has some, melody to it and if i try i sound like a dying elephant
If while singing Nirvana you sound like a ferret is dying in your throat, you're doing it right.
Quote by kthanxbai
...you shouldn't have asked the pit

why not , the pits been tonnes of help, they say suggestions in ways i can relate to
Quote by cliff_em_all
All you need to be able to do is shoot yourself to get big in grunge.

mhm...**** you!

seriously...not funny

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Well I sang along to Nevermind today and I could hit almost all the notes (except for some of the lower ones because Im no good singing low). However, I don't know hot make my voice sound raw and edgy.

I would say 'psuh your voice' a bit - but that didn't work for me too well so...yeah...
Quote by fallenangel20

Good one

Anyway, Nirvana's Nevermind isn't really grunge. Try their first album(Bleach) instead. As for singing, try putting marbles in your mouth to sing Nirvana LOL.
Quote by Blackholesun00
Good one

Anyway, Nirvana's Nevermind isn't really grunge. Try their first album(Bleach) instead. As for singing, try putting marbles in your mouth to sing Nirvana LOL.

Yeah, I do admit Nevermind isn't really grunge. Though it does have some charachteristics of grunge spread throughout it Bleach and In Utero are much better examples of grunge.

And I wanted to quote the marbles, but I forgot to do that in my last post >.<
I sort of have two ways to sing with "heat". The one is pushing extra air through my vocal chords, as if I'm clearing my throat, to give it sort of a growl. You can take this farther to get a full-bodied scream (which is actually why I developed the technique in the first place, I was trying to imitate George Pettit from Alexisonfire). The problem with this technique is range has to be developed with a lot of practice, and I'm not sure if it's harmful or not.

So another way you can do it is simply by shouting. When you yell at the top of your lungs, some heat will be produced. The plus side to this is that you can pretty much hit any note you can normally hit and stay "fiery" once you learn how to control it. The downside is that I'm fairly sure it's not good for you - singing this way makes me lose my voice very quickly.

Also, keep in mind that just because you don't sound like Kurt Cobain doesn't mean you're doing it wrong. Everybody has different vocal cords, so if your growl sounds weird, write your music to fit it, or arrange a cover you're doing to better suit your vocal style.

For further help, you can browse through http://www.wikihow.com/Category:Singing. There are a few very good articles on that page.
try singing from the back of your throat, but without too much through your nose, i don't now how to explain to do that, i just know that i can do it. Maybe pushing your tounge toward the back as well, pushing with your diaphragm for more power and control, and smoke a pack a day and drink lots of scotch. Maybe not the last bit.
excessive drinking and/or smoking. or, my sister's a really good singer, like just normal singing, but she said that singing above your range too often can mess up your vocal chords too, and so can just screaming a lot.
Turn up the music that you want to emulate and sing to it. If you do that often for like three months, you'll be able to sing like them. Promise.

/drunk.