I will soon be order a custom guitar from ESP. has anyone here had any experience with ordering a custom gutiar from ESP. If you have what did it cost, how long did it take, and was the quality/sound/workmanship what youd expect for the price? post pics if you can.
I haven't ordered a custom from them but I do own a Kamikaze and the workmanship is right up there with the best of them.

The problem is their prices for a true custom are just way inflated IMO.

Don't kill me for this but you might wanna check out a Ran Guitar.
Custom shop, made to order and I've only read great things about them.
They have one of the coolest sites out there too, at least take a look.

http://ranguitars.com/
It takes about 3 months usually. Maybe less, maybe more. Handcrafted.

It's also usually about 2-3 thousand dollars, maybe even one thousand if you're not looking for cosmetics.

I haven't bought one though, I'm just guessing.
Quote by pimpslap1236
I will soon be order a custom guitar from ESP. has anyone here had any experience with ordering a custom gutiar from ESP. If you have what did it cost, how long did it take, and was the quality/sound/workmanship what youd expect for the price? post pics if you can.

Wait, so you are going to order a $4000+, dollar guitar and you are asking people on a chat forum their opinions? wow!
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Ibz RG270 - Dimarzio PAF Pro/Mo' Joe
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
Quote by mattldm2003
Wait, so you are going to order a $4000+, dollar guitar and you are asking people on a chat forum their opinions? wow!

yes? i dont really see an issue with that. I'm asking those who have already dealt with this company's costum shop, what there experiences with it were. and for those who have ben suggesting prices, i got it quoted at $5650, and they said it would take 5 months. its identical to the KH-20, does this sound about average for there prices?

PS: i saw Ran guitars, its alright but not what im looking for.
you wont find too many on this board that have ordered a custom shop ESP.

But yeah the priceand time sounds right.

I'm buying a LTD Deluxe does that count?
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Ibz RG270 - Dimarzio PAF Pro/Mo' Joe
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
Quote by The Casualty
It takes about 3 months usually. Maybe less, maybe more. Handcrafted.

It's also usually about 2-3 thousand dollars, maybe even one thousand if you're not looking for cosmetics.

I haven't bought one though, I'm just guessing.

Oh, how I wish it was handcrafted...
its far from that.
If you are getting a predesigned body, its cut out by a CNC, not anything like Hand.

Totally inflated price, but in todays already inflated world, I guess its pretty good.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Quote by mattldm2003
you wont find too many on this board that have ordered a custom shop ESP.

But yeah the priceand time sounds right.

I'm buying a LTD Deluxe does that count?

hell no that doesnt count. im talking about a CUSTOM SHOP the ones where you place an order to have them build one specifically for you only. in other words, a one-off.
I was thinking about getting a custom guitar, but really though, I don't see what ESP does to make their guitars so pricy. It's not like they're handcrafted or anything. If they would take their prices way ****ing down, I bet they'd have SO much money rolling in. But they have to be gay...
Quote by DeathForAll
I was thinking about getting a custom guitar, but really though, I don't see what ESP does to make their guitars so pricy. It's not like they're handcrafted or anything. If they would take their prices way ****ing down, I bet they'd have SO much money rolling in. But they have to be gay...

dude the custom shop guitars are hand built you dont know what you're talking about. there prices are not that high. fenders are high if you wanna talk bout overpriced. i find ESP to be reasonable. its the way there built. there built liek tanks. they can take a heavier beating than any toerh company. gibson is expensive because of the finish they use, and the name. ESP is expensive because of the quality of the work, the sound they produce and the solidity of the End product. look at what hetfield and hammett do to their gutiars and they still sound incredible. the same cannot be said for many other companies. thats why they are so expensive
Quote by pimpslap1236
dude the custom shop guitars are hand built you dont know what you're talking about. there prices are not that high. fenders are high if you wanna talk bout overpriced. i find ESP to be reasonable. its the way there built. there built liek tanks. they can take a heavier beating than any toerh company. gibson is expensive because of the finish they use, and the name. ESP is expensive because of the quality of the work, the sound they produce and the solidity of the End product. look at what hetfield and hammett do to their gutiars and they still sound incredible. the same cannot be said for many other companies. thats why they are so expensive

If you honestly think ESP is handcrafted all the way, you are the fool here.
Quote by Striketalonx
If you honestly think ESP is handcrafted all the way, you are the fool here.

not all of them are you crazy. only the custom shop ones you have to hand order. I've researched this extensively. im not going to jump into a 6000$ purchase if its not the very best. You appear to have no experience with this company so dont give me advice with it.

PS: want proof? http://www.guitarsatbmusic.com.au/esp/customshop.htm second line of the second paragraph it states "TOTALLY hand-crafted by their skilled craftsmen and women." proof enough?
Last edited by pimpslap1236 at Feb 25, 2007,
Quote by pimpslap1236
not all of them are you crazy. only the custom shop ones you have to hand order. I've researched this extensively. im not going to jump into a 6000$ purchase if its not the very best. You appear to have no experience with this company so dont give me advice with it.

oh god,
not even the Custom Shop are handbuilt.
Trust me, I've looked into this extensively too,
I'd go with RAN guitars over ESP any day, Hell, I'd take a non-custom Shop Vigier over either.

Custom Shop ESP's are buil in the same way as the Custom Sieries ESP's, and both series are built in the same plant as the Standard Series.
The only difference is the Specs, and the Price.

If you really wanted the best guitars for 6 grand you would not be looking at ESP.

Quote by pimpslap1236

PS: want proof? http://www.guitarsatbmusic.com.au/esp/customshop.htm second line of the second paragraph it states "TOTALLY hand-crafted by their skilled craftsmen and women." proof enough?

Taken out of context that sounds like a convincing quote. Read the whole paragraph and you'll understand that they were estabilshed as a "handbuilt" company, nowhere does it state that they continue this "tradition"
Last edited by Striketalonx at Feb 25, 2007,
I'm gonna have to take a stand with Striketalonx on this one...

The big brand custom shops, especially ESP, are extremely overpriced...the guitar will come in the same quality as one of ESPs higher end models...it's just that it's built to your specs....

In turn, for $6000, I would happily walk away with 3 if not 4 USA PRS guitars....tear any ESP to shreds in the tone department.

Ofcourse, this is all your choice, but I really think you should highly reconsider....with the ESP custom shop, you are getting raped for the name.

RAN will make you a better ESP clone, and when I got a quote with them, they only wanted $1200 for the guitar.

And one more thing threadstarter...if you're asking for our opinions, don't get defensive when we don't agree with your thoughts
Well..... Ibanez4Life, I believe you have strong feelings for this subject???
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
Sorry for the numerous posts...my internet was acting up...

I just don't like when people ask for opinons then are completely closed minded....if you made up your mind and have $6000 to blow, by all means, go to the custom shop.

IMO (key word...IN MY OPINION), you are paying for a subpar guitar...especially for that much money.
i owned a US custom horizon back when they still had the US custom shop in LA, it was a amber flame with LH1000 pickups, now i loved that guitar, first of all it sounded amazing, i was shocked by the LH1000s, i thought id have to change them to duncans as soon as i bought it, very warm and extremely responsive, the neck was birdseye maple and ive always loved the horizon necks, so that played no problem, the one thing i noticed was the paint job almost looked chiped all over but it wasnt its something ESP does, i only paid $1500 for that guitar back in 2000 i believe, had to sell it, like alot of other gear recently due to a pregnancy
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Ive owned 2 Ran guitars and there much better value for money than ESP custom shop stuff, Build quality and sound wise theres nothing in it either really. Ran can do anything ESP can for a fraction of the price. You could robably get 3 Ran's for the price of 1 ESP.
Another thing with the ESP, if you pay $5000 dollars for it, when or if you come to get rid of it, you'll take a massive loss, probably not even get half what you paid.
but it comes back to preferance, ive never played a ran, so idk if id like the necks or how the body feels, i no i love ESPs necks, and the sound was absolutely amazing, and for $1500 back then, i thought it was a hell of a deal
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Quote by dertjoe
but it comes back to preferance, ive never played a ran, so idk if id like the necks or how the body feels, i no i love ESPs necks, and the sound was absolutely amazing, and for $1500 back then, i thought it was a hell of a deal

I'd pay $1500 for one..

but never upwards of $6,000.
Go for ESP got a few mates got theirs done. their perfect. from the japanese shop and its perfect. they asked for something quite specific and it turned out better than they t have imagined. ESP customs are amazing. depends what you want rlly but normally not THAT expensive goes to arround 3-10k... my mate bought it for 4.1k and the other 5.2k so not too bad for a custom.

"If You can Imagine, We can build it" ESP Custom shop
ESP Fan
Owner Of:
ESP Standard Horizon NT II transparent Cherry